Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2017, 04:09 PM

15,860 posts, read 6,322,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
There has yet to be a single answer.
How is a definition of Marriage being between male and female discriminitory.
Because it prevents same sex couples from having the same rights as male/female couples. You can enforce that definition if you want, in your church, but not in society. You have to learn to play nice with people different than you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2017, 04:24 PM

15,860 posts, read 6,322,813 times
Whoever reped me saying the rights should be allowed without calling it a marriage "covenant". That's also part of how people have decided that homosexuals are actual human beings, entitled to everything consideration a straight person is. Treat them like abominations in your church if you must but in public play nice. BTW expect to take some crap if you do, that's not persecution. That is other people's opinion that your opinion sucks. If you don't want to hear other people's opinion then don't tell them yours.

Old 10-24-2017, 04:26 PM

6,844 posts, read 2,845,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
There has yet to be a single answer.
How is a definition of Marriage being between male and female discriminitory.

Civil Rights and Discrimination Glossary - FindLaw
Put it this way. We have three people. Jill, Sam, and Marie. If same-sex marriage is forbidden, Sam can marry Jill, but Marie can't. Marie is denied the legal right to marry Jill (and all other women) just because she is a woman. Denial of a legal right solely on the basis of gender is the very essence of sex discrimination.

Old 10-24-2017, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I saw what you saw in that post too Geekie. I just cringed because what's the point? I'm sure she has no idea what she said. That doesn't give anyone the right to tell you how you should feel. I was kind of glad to see you stick up for yourself (not saying you usually don't). You didn't deserve to me called mentally ill or attacked for doing so. It's not you Geekie, it's them. Since they'll never apologize for their behavior I will. I'm sorry Geekie that you have to put up with this. If I believed in the Grace of God I think it shines through you. I'm an atheist so I think it's all you, either way.
Thank you, L8. <3

Old 10-24-2017, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I would much rather see someone angry than see them internalizing the hurtful things that are said, and becoming despondent, depressed, disempowered and suicidal.
Me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Anger with blinkered fundamentalists is righteous.

Forgiving oneself for it is divine.

Thank you Trout.

Old 10-24-2017, 04:54 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,323,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
Put it this way. We have three people. Jill, Sam, and Marie. If same-sex marriage is forbidden, Sam can marry Jill, but Marie can't. Marie is denied the legal right to marry Jill (and all other women) just because she is a woman. Denial of a legal right solely on the basis of gender is the very essence of sex discrimination.
Good explanation for those not wishing to read any of the court's statements. Vizio always played this that it was not discrimination because a woman could marry any man therefore she didn't have the right to marry another woman.

Old 10-24-2017, 05:40 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,593,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Genesis 2. God made a helpmate for Adam -- a woman.

Genesis 2:24 " Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh."

There is a complete absence of ANY text that states that it should be anything other than that. Even Jesus, when he had a chance to repudiate the notion, affirmed it.

Matthew 19:4-6 "He said to them, “Have you not read that He Who made them in the first place made them man and woman? 5 It says, ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and his mother and will live with his wife. The two will become one.’ 6 So they are no longer two but one. Let no man divide what God has put together.”"

Since God created marriage as a man and woman, and Jesus affirmed that, why would anything think that they can simply redefine it?
You missed where I said that Genesis 2:24 says this is the ONLY definition, rather than A definition.

Matthew 19:4-6 certainly is something is something that most evangelicals/fundamentalist ignore. Kim Davis is on her 4th marriage. Talk about picking and choosing.

I remind you, Ruth/Naomi, David/Jonathan, concubines, multiple wives. Shall I quote the salacious parts of the bible which discuss this in oh so intimate detail? I've read erotic literature that is less explicit.

Old 10-24-2017, 05:51 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
The point of view coming from a non-Christian (me): it's all a bunch of hypocrisy and ignorant prejudice.

There is, in my view, no justification for discrimination and bigotry against gay people. Creepy, immoral and sanctimonious Christians advocating disrespect and second class stigma against folks in the LGBT community ... sheesh!

Old 10-24-2017, 06:12 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,017,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
You missed where I said that Genesis 2:24 says this is the ONLY definition, rather than A definition.

Matthew 19:4-6 certainly is something is something that most evangelicals/fundamentalist ignore. Kim Davis is on her 4th marriage. Talk about picking and choosing.
Completely irrelevant. Kim Davis does not speak for all of Christianity, and I have said on this very board that she should have been recalled for her unwillingness to execute the law. Any politician that refuses to uphold the Law should lose their position.
Quote:
I remind you, Ruth/Naomi, David/Jonathan, concubines, multiple wives. Shall I quote the salacious parts of the bible which discuss this in oh so intimate detail? I've read erotic literature that is less explicit.
OK? Yes. As early as Genesis 4 we see multiple wives. But that doesn't mean God commanded it, nor did he condone it. Remember, every single one of us sins daily...but for some reason God has decided to not judge us all immediately.

Old 10-24-2017, 06:20 PM

6,796 posts, read 2,905,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
Also, about Sodom...Ezekiel 15:49-50

"As I live," declares the Lord GOD, "Sodom, your sister and her daughters have not done as you and your daughters have done. "Behold, this was the guilt of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had arrogance, abundant food and careless ease, but she did not help the poor and needy. "Thus they were haughty and committed abominations before Me. Therefore I removed them when I saw it.

I know what you'll say. "See, they committed abominations! That means GAY!!"

No, no it doesn't.

Inhospitality doesn't mean much in this day and age, to most people. It couldn't be that much of a sin, could it?

Yes, here is why. For the people in that region, there were vast expanses of desert in between towns. For them hospitality or the lack thereof, was literally a life or death situation. Being inhospitable to someone in need was an abomination, because by being inhospitable and denying them food or shelter, you would be effectively sending that person to their death.

But somehow being gay or lesbian is worse, though, to those that believe the way you do. I find that tragic, and sad
Actually, while - as you say - Ezekiel says NOTHING about homosexuality as being any part of the cause for the destruction of Sodom (Gomorrah isn't mentioned) - he DOES go quite in depth as to what an 'abomination' is in Ezekiel 8:1-18. In fact, the description of 'abomination' in this passage of scripture could also offer a reasonable explanation of the infamous Leviticus 18:22;20:13 texts. 'Abomination' refers to the goings on in the temple that involved, among other things, sexual ritual practices with male temple prostitutes; i.e. idolatry. Idolatry is the abomination! That the majority of Christians equate abomination with homosexuality only speaks to their own ignorance on the subject and this - if they are capable of listening - should be brought to their attention.

So, again, Mr. and Mrs. Christian ...just refer to Ezekiel 8:1-18 for an explanation of 'abomination'. IT DOES NOT MEAN HOMOSEXUALITY!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity