Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2018, 08:43 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,312,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumTingy View Post

The term “Christian” means belief in one God, Creator of all things, existing in three Persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. And the Bible, inspired by the Holy Spirit, is the authority on all matters in which it speaks. But other religions have taken it and use to support their philosphy. And there is the rub...
No it does not at all. The word Christian was not a name anyone of the new testament writers called "themselves", yes the term christian is used in the book of Acts, but the term is not credited to the disciples.

Paul, called the disciples of Jesus.... followers of the way. What is that way ?... The way Jesus Taught.... By "This" shall ALL men know you are my disciples if you have love one for another.....

So please provide the scripture that verifies what you have said above. Do you see this trend, you express a belief without any scripture, i reply 100% of the time with scripture, you say myself and others are cherry pickers of the scriptures, you don't even use scripture to back up your opinions, and that is all they are until you can at the very least back it up with scripture.

Here are a few scriptures you could use about being saved.

Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved

Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Peter preached to Cornelius and Co, the Holy Spirit fell on them before they even made a confession.... Peter did not say do you believe in the God in 3 persons, do you believe the bible is inerrant and infallible......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2018, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Very true.
Is that what you come to this forum for just to be mischevious and support any negative thing said about those whose understanding of God and the scriptures is different to yours?. What satisfaction are you getting out of this?.

Old 03-16-2018, 08:47 AM

6,844 posts, read 2,849,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
geekigurl, it's the difference between reading the Bible as a legal document--like a lawyer---or reading it as someone who is looking to find a closer walk with God.

My son is a member of AA. He said the "lesson" taught last night was that about 50% of alcoholics arrive at AA as either atheists or agnostics. The AA states flat out that if they cannot find a "Higher Power" (their term) they won't be successful in AA.

The leader said, "When you walk in here for the first time and look around, you're going to see about a hundred people that ARE successful. They are successful as Buddhists, or Hindus, or Christians, or even a God of No Name. But all rely on that Higher Power. The success of that Higher Power shows up in their ability to win against addiction. Your Higher Power isn't about how well you did yesterday, or how well you might do tomorrow, just how well you do today."

Nobody at AA questions any other person's "Higher Power," because in every case of those attending, that Higher Power has worked for them.

Compare that to the "control" lessons that are taught by fundamentalists. It's not a "legal" walk, it is a spiritual walk that leads one out of their own sin. The promises aren't written down, they are stored within.

We weren't given a Bible to show us what is wrong with us, we were given one to show us what promise we have.

I love this, in a documentary I watched, a pastor was talking about those who judge others; he said the best way to approach a non Christians is not to tell them what's wrong with them, but show them that there is a way out. Not exact words, and I probably b0rked (geek slang: egregiously messed up) the quote, but that's the basic idea...and it's early for me haha.

St. Francis (of Assisi) said "preach the Gospel continuously, use words only when necessary."

Old 03-16-2018, 08:47 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,401,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumTingy View Post
...The term “Christian” means belief in one God, Creator of all things, existing in three Persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. And the Bible, inspired by the Holy Spirit, is the authority on all matters in which it speaks. But other religions have taken it and use to support their philosphy. And there is the rub...

That's what the term "Christian" means to you, but you do not speak for all Christians, nor do you own God or the Bible. I trust God all the more having been freed from Christian dogma taught by those who think they have the corner market on God. And as as a former Christian, someone who was steeped in the Bible from infancy, I still treasure the sweet "cherries" that were conveyed by some of it's authors. These truths are universal and can be found in many places, but since I was raised with the Bible, that is my "native tongue".

Old 03-16-2018, 08:50 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,030,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
That's what the term "Christian" means to you, but you do not speak for all Christians, nor do you own God or the Bible. I trust God all the more having been freed from Christian dogma taught by those who think they have the corner market on God. And as as a former Christian, someone who was steeped in the Bible from infancy, I still treasure the sweet "cherries" that were conveyed by some of it's authors. These truths are universal and can be found in many places, but since I was raised with the Bible, that is my "native tongue".
What's that? You agree with SumTingy on everything?

Old 03-16-2018, 08:50 AM

Quote:
It is fine him believing that, what i am puzzled about is, he claims he's a bible believer and only believes something if it's in the bible, but his bible does not describe that to be a christian. So my conclusion is, he is added to the scripture, and we know what the scriptures say about adding to it.

Old 03-16-2018, 08:51 AM

6,844 posts, read 2,849,489 times
Quote:
That's a pretty awesome statement of faith, Pleroo! <3

Old 03-16-2018, 08:53 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,401,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
I love this, in a documentary I watched, a pastor was talking about those who judge others; he said the best way to approach a non Christians is not to tell them what's wrong with them, but show them that there is a way out. Not exact words, and I probably b0rked (geek slang: egregiously messed up) the quote, but that's the basic idea...and it's early for me haha.

St. Francis (of Assisi) said "preach the Gospel continuously, use words only when necessary."
Some Christians think they first have to convince people that they are in imminent danger of the wrath of God because they are fundamentally flawed at their core [garbage deserving of being thrown on a giant burning junk pile for eternity] in order to be able to sell them a way to escape their supposed fate. So, no, no one needs to be approached by people who think that way, unless it is for the Christian who thinks like that to be saved from their own beliefs.

Old 03-16-2018, 08:57 AM

10,503 posts, read 7,048,799 times
God gives us minds and discernment. Looking at select portions of Scripture with an objective eye is hardly disbelief or rejecting scripture. This is a canard whipped up by the fundamentalists to discourage any kind of scholarship.

All you have to do is look at the passage in John concerning the adulterous woman (You know, the "those without sin" passage). It is not present in the earliest manuscripts of John we have. So which is the valid version? The one with the passage or the one without?

Or which version of Christ's crucifixion in the Synoptic Gospels are we prepared to accept? In one narrative, Christ's last words were, "Into your hands I commend my spirit." In a second, it's "It is finished." And the third it is, "My God, why have you forsaken me?"

Note that, during what is arguably the second-most important event in Christ's ministry aside from the resurrection, we have three contradictory accounts, with the difference between the three accounts not being trivial in nature. One is a statement of trust. One is a statement of prophecy being fulfilled. And the third, disturbingly, is a statement of doubt and abandonment. Each offers up an utterly different version of Christ's ministry on earth and its outcome.

Old 03-16-2018, 09:05 AM

1,183 posts, read 537,634 times
Default An

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
No it does not at all. The word Christian was not a name anyone of the new testament writers called "themselves", yes the term christian is used in the book of Acts, but the term is not credited to the disciples.

Paul, called the disciples of Jesus.... followers of the way. What is that way ?... The way Jesus Taught.... By "This" shall ALL men know you are my disciples if you have love one for another.....

So please provide the scripture that verifies what you have said above. Do you see this trend, you express a belief without any scripture, i reply 100% of the time with scripture, you say myself and others are cherry pickers of the scriptures, you don't even use scripture to back up your opinions, and that is all they are until you can at the very least back it up with scripture.

Here are a few scriptures you could use about being saved.

Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved

Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Peter preached to Cornelius and Co, the Holy Spirit fell on them before they even made a confession.... Peter did not say do you believe in the God in 3 persons, do you believe the bible is inerrant and infallible......

Of course Christian is not in the Bible nor is the Trinity or Rapture. Christian is a term identified with my definition for a millenia. And what did I say that disagrees with those verses?

To put your faith In Jesus and repent of your sins means to believe in Father, Son, and Holy Spirit for they are One God. They are perfection. Perfect are the exact thought with exact attributes. And these Persons are described in the Old and New Testament.

To create your own religion that over rules the authority of the Bible breaks the 1st Commandment. If you truly put your faith in Jesus but deny who He is, it is a false doctrine

It always circles around to this. People want to have a lifestyle that is pleasing to the flesh and mind. That is not a Christ follower. To put faith in Jesus is to deny yourself and submit to Him. Now every Elect struggles with sin especially me. I am a terrible sinner. But to deny the Truth is wrong and very dangerous!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity