Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it wrong for Christians to use Marijuana if it is legal where they live?
YES 13 23.64%
NO 42 76.36%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 09:07 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,310,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
The people most ignorant of pot are the one's who've never tried it and/or are unfamiliar with it. They really only have "book knowledge". Come to think of it, most of the problem people in this world speak and act out of ignorance. It's time to place viewpoints in their proper hierarchy, and quit letting the noisy ignorants run the show.
Don't have to look past this forum to see the trouble a book can cause.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2018, 09:15 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,310,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I assume the doctors said it was bad for the heart.
I was speaking about pipe tobacco. I smoked cigarettes for 5 years and a pipe for 35 years after that. And inhaled. I didn't need to have a heart attack to know it was bad for me.

But it added an exclamation point to which I eventually paid heed. So, I quit cold turkey on my 55th birthday.

However, I smoke marijuana daily and feel much better at 66 than I did when I was 50.

Old 03-23-2018, 09:19 AM

11,250 posts, read 7,300,215 times
At least pot tends to bring feelings of peace, fun, and unity. That's a lot better than the hate, racism, and judgement that many feed on these days, typically from the foaming-at-the-mouth types standing proudly on their mighty pedestals made out of sand.

God sees who loves and who doesn't. He see who's positive and helping, vs. those who make life worse for most. That's much more important to him than whether individuals smoke or not, eat bad food or not, etc. But if you want to act like the Pharisees and Sadducees, go ahead, and see where that gets you.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 03-23-2018 at 09:37 AM..

Old 03-23-2018, 09:44 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,829,972 times
Quote:
At least pot tends to bring feelings of peace, fun, and unity.
To some, yes, while others experience panic attacks, racing heart, and feelings of doom. Some call the ambulance because they are convinced they are going to die.

Old 03-23-2018, 09:50 AM

37,347 posts, read 28,428,376 times
Quote:
To some, yes, while others experience panic attacks, racing heart, and feelings of doom. Some call the ambulance because they are convinced they are going to die.
I have never known anyone to suffer anything like that from smoking pot, there are not many people i know here in the United who have not at some point smoked pot.. You do not need to drink or smoke anything to suffer those things you mentioned above, in fact i know narrow minded religious beliefs will do all that for you.

Old 03-23-2018, 09:53 AM

Quote:
LOL! I'd love to see valid and documentable proof of that!

It's more likely that they had a bad dream after watching Reefer Madness, or naively got scared from some hellfire and brimstone sermon.

Again, the ignorant and unknowing will believe anything, like the crap quoted above. The educated know otherwise...

Old 03-23-2018, 10:03 AM

88,949 posts, read 85,475,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I'm sorry if I came across differently, but my point was not that 2 drinks makes one a drunkard.
OK, gotcha.

Quote:
Honestly? I think that's up to the individual with God. Having said that, if it's illegal, it's illegal.
Thank you. God certainly knows I smoke weed, and God certainly knows what my brain is like and how it helps, and God even knows that while I no longer think God is to be blamed for the way my brain is, my religious upbringing went a long way toward making the intrusive thoughts of OCD worse. I was on an SSRI for seven years, and I am telling you that along with the therapy I had, pot is better for calming my mind without deadening thought and creativity.

As for being illegal, I don't care, and I don't worry about it. In 1990, my friend and I got caught smoking on a street in NYC and were issued a desk-appearance ticket. We showed up in court on the designated date. The guys at the window where we checked in laughed at us and sent us into the courtroom with our paperwork, where the bailiff laughed and said the judge would see us first, and when the judge came in, she read the ticket and SHE laughed, and by then we realized that we were the only idiots in NYC to ever actually show up for a pot desk appearance ticket (she suspended the charge).

Quote:
And then there is the issue of smoking an unfiltered marijuana cigarette and what that does to the body. Many people consider tobacco to be immoral...why not marijuana?
Well, first of all, I am not sure I care if anyone thinks either tobacco or marijuana are "immoral". That's not the thought process of anyone I know personally. It's neither immoral nor moral unless it's used to harm someone, IMO. I suppose we can stretch that out into "costs of health care" and such, but in and of itself I don't think there is anything moral/immoral inherent in the use of the substances. Nobody's knocking anyone over the head to steal money for tobacco or weed. Nobody's beating anyone because they smoked too much and lost control.

I smoked tobacco for many years, and I quit six years ago not because of a morality question but because it just cost too damn much money. And yes, I was 53 and when I looked at the history of heart problems in my family, it seemed like a healthy thing to do, as well. But cost was the main driver.

As for an "unfiltered marijuana cigarette", I can imagine that heavy smokers might be affected in the lungs. Most people don't sit down and smoke an entire joint in one sitting as they would a cigarette. I don't. If I did that, I would be sitting in the corner staring at the wall for hours or something and unable to function. One joint lasts me for days because I just take a hit here and there in the evening. I like to swim and can still hold my breath underwater for a reasonable length of time, but if I ever do have respiratory problems, I think it's going to be the 35 years of Newports or the God-knows-what that I sucked in on 9/11, not the weed.

The point of all this is not to give a blow-by-blow of my personal use of substances but to give those people better knowledge who seem to have some preconceived judgments about what kind of people use marijuana and what its effects are. Many respectable members of the community in professional careers, including Christians, use marijuana on a regular basis. They just might not let everyone know.

Old 03-23-2018, 10:04 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,478,062 times
Quote:
Honestly? I think that's up to the individual with God. Having said that, if it's illegal, it's illegal.

And then there is the issue of smoking an unfiltered marijuana cigarette and what that does to the body. Many people consider tobacco to be immoral...why not marijuana?
What exactly is immoral about smoking tobacco or marijuana?
Should we lock people in cages for possessing or ingesting a plant?

Old 03-23-2018, 10:05 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,829,972 times
Quote:
LOL! I'd love to see valid and documentable proof of that!

It's more likely that they had a bad dream after watching Reefer Madness, or naively got scared from some hellfire and brimstone sermon.

Again, the ignorant and unknowing will believe anything, like the crap quoted above. The educated know otherwise...
I dont know what to tell you, other than if you never heard of pot induced panic attacks and/or paranoia, then it is clearly you who is ignorant of the issue.

Here is a a instruction leaflet from Herb.Com, a pro-legalization publication. It instructs pot smokers what to do when it hits.

Read....learn...educate yourself.

8 Things To Do If You Suffer From Cannabis-Induced Panic Attacks

https://herb.co/marijuana/news/canna...-panic-attacks

Pot is generally a substance that relaxes us, mellows us out and makes us feel happy. It’s not easy for weed-lovers to hear, but not everyone experiences the same feelings of calmness and relief like so many of us do. Cannabis-induced panic attacks are very real, depending on the strain, manner of ingestion (smoking, edibles), and level of experience.

A panic attack brought on by cannabis can definitely manifest in some uncomfortable symptoms such as sweats and chills, chest pains, extreme paranoia and psychological distress, rapid heartbeat, dizziness, confusion and pronounced lethargy.

PANIC ATTACK - Relax -it happens to everyone.

https://www.marijuana.com/community/...eryone.218403/

Old 03-23-2018, 10:09 AM

If they're panicked out, maybe they should have a glass of wine. Other than that, I can't feel sorry for them. All types of things around us can turn negative. If people can't handle things, they should stay away from them. Don't bombard the rest of us with BS, and lecture us and pool us together with the wimpy. It's your problem and weakness, not ours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity