Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2019, 01:35 PM

33,331 posts, read 26,530,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Generally, thinking in black and white has become much less of an issue for me since I was freed from the fundamentalist mindset that once had a hold on me. But, for the sake of argument, let's work with what you believe the passage means. What is your intent for public prayer? Also, is it the same as your intent when you pray privately? If not, how do they differ?
The context of Acts 20:36 in which Paul's fellow believers prayed for him is pretty clear. Paul was about to leave for Jerusalem and he didn't know what would happen to him there other than the fact that the Holy Spirit had testified that bonds and afflictions awaited him. His fellow believers who did not expect to ever see him again, prayed for his safety and well being.

A good reason to pray for someone whether privately or as a group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2019, 01:40 PM

17,164 posts, read 11,414,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
The context of Acts 20:36 in which Paul's fellow believers prayed for him is pretty clear. Paul was about to leave for Jerusalem and he didn't know what would happen to him there other than the fact that the Holy Spirit had testified that bonds and afflictions awaited him. His fellow believers who did not expect to ever see him again, prayed for his safety and well being.

A good reason to pray for someone whether privately or as a group.

Given that it seems Jesus indicates that public prayer puts one at risk, at the very least, for becoming prideful and private prayer carries no such risk, and given that you say public prayer is for the exact same reasons as private prayer, why would you encourage public prayer?

Old 01-22-2019, 01:58 PM

33,331 posts, read 26,530,181 times
Quote:
Given that it seems Jesus indicates that public prayer, at the very least, puts one at risk for becoming prideful and private prayer carries no such risk, and given that you say public prayer is for the exact same reasons as private prayer, why would you encourage public prayer?
Jesus didn't say or indicate that public prayer puts one at risk for becoming prideful. He knew that the Pharisees deliberately prayed in public because they wanted to be well thought of. They were already prideful. He urged his followers to not be hypocrites like the Pharisees.

And this isn't about me and why or why not I would do something. I've pointed out that Acts 20:36 shows public group prayer among believers (not private prayer), for Paul's safety had taken place. And that is perfectly valid.

And to be clear and to put an end to this, I am not referring to praying at sporting games for one team or another to win, or things of that nature. I'm referring to the fact that it is perfectly legitimate for groups of believers to pray when they gather, whether it's for the well being of someone else, for whatever needs need to be met, for encouragement, etc.

Now I'm done with this. My point has been made. You can continue to argue about it till you find something better to do, but you'll have to argue about it with someone else.

Old 01-22-2019, 02:03 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,341,225 times
Behold my servant, whom I uphold; mine elect, in whom my soul delighteth; I have put my spirit upon him: he shall bring forth judgment to the Gentiles.

He shall not cry, nor lift up, nor cause his voice to be heard in the street.

Isaiah 42:1-2

Old 01-22-2019, 02:04 PM

17,164 posts, read 11,414,897 times
Quote:
Jesus didn't say or indicate that public prayer puts one at risk for becoming prideful. He knew that the Pharisees deliberately prayed in public because they wanted to be well thought of. They were already prideful. He urged his followers to not be hypocrites like the Pharisees.

And this isn't about me and why or why not I would do something.
It was a generic "you", not intended to be directed at you, specifically. But, yes, the thread is, in part, about why fundamentalist Christians do what they do.

Quote:
I've pointed out that Acts 20:36 shows public group prayer among believers (not private prayer), for Paul's safety had taken place. And that is perfectly valid.

Mmmhmm, and I pointed out why I don't see that as pertinent based on Paul's desire to be all things to all people, and declaring all (religious practices) as permissible, but not necessarily beneficial. No need to rehash that all again.

Quote:
And to be clear and to put an end to this, I am not referring to praying at sporting games for one team or another to win, or things of that nature. I'm referring to the fact that it is perfectly legitimate for groups of believers to pray when they gather, whether it's for the well being of someone else, for whatever needs need to be met, for encouragement, etc.
I don't disagree that it's permissible. Whether or not it is beneficial is really the question at hand. But, you don't want to consider something that challenges you, so...

Quote:
Now I'm done with this. My point has been made. You can continue to argue about it till you find something better to do, but you'll have to argue about it with someone else.

Yes, yes, I know. You're always done with people when they have a different perspective than your own. That's a fairly typical fundamentalist trait.

Old 01-22-2019, 02:27 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,942,588 times
Quote:
Paul's willingness to pray along with his fellow Christians speaks for itself just as the church of Antioch's prayer, recorded in Acts 13:3 speaks for itself.

Jesus' statement had to do with intent. The Pharisee's liked to pray in public in order to be seen as pious. That is wrong motivation and intent. Acts 20:36 is an example of legitimate group public prayer. Period, over and out.
Was there anyone in that assembly that was NOT of the same mind as there clearly would be in an assembly of a generally public nature? What is it that we are talking about? Prayers in a church meeting or prayers at a public event?

But I see this has already been addressed and no answer will be forthcoming.

Old 01-22-2019, 02:36 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,228,729 times
Quote:
...snip...

Yes, yes, I know. You're always done with people when they have a different perspective than your own. That's a fairly typical fundamentalist trait.
Yep.

Old 01-22-2019, 02:40 PM

63,928 posts, read 40,194,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Was there anyone in that assembly that was NOT of the same mind as there clearly would be in an assembly of a generally public nature? What is it that we are talking about? Prayers in a church meeting or prayers at a public event?

But I see this has already been addressed and no answer will be forthcoming.

Old 01-22-2019, 03:17 PM

1,382 posts, read 770,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Behold my servant, whom I uphold; mine elect, in whom my soul delighteth; I have put my spirit upon him: he shall bring forth judgment to the Gentiles.

He shall not cry, nor lift up, nor cause his voice to be heard in the street.

Isaiah 42:1-2

That Judgment comes at the end of a sharp sword, and a rod of iron (Revelation 19:15), following a "great earthquake" (Revelation 16:16-19) and "plague" (Zechariah 14:12).

Old 01-22-2019, 03:41 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,261,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndpillar View Post
That Judgment comes at the end of a sharp sword, and a rod of iron (Revelation 19:15), following a "great earthquake" (Revelation 16:16-19) and "plague" (Zechariah 14:12).
So say the pharisees?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity