Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2021, 01:34 PM

7,530 posts, read 3,032,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero 7 View Post
How much more proof is needed for them? Over and over they are shown great stuff like this but its not enough for them, they still spout the same

few verses like this over and over like parrots...BRACK! Broad is the path that leads to destruction..BRACK!..broad is the path that leads to destruction...BRACK!
Zero: there is no evidence the doom and gloom team have ever been awakened from their slumber. For them, (and every one of us), who would walk with the Father, He must open our understanding!

“Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures.”

Opened = dianoigō =

To open thoroughly what had been closed.

To open the eyes and ears.

To open the mind to understand.

To arouse the faculty and desire to learn.

To open by dividing or drawing asunder.

Old 08-09-2021, 04:35 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,376,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose2Luv View Post
Zero: there is no evidence the doom and gloom team have ever been awakened from their slumber. For them, (and every one of us), who would walk with the Father, He must open our understanding!

“Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures.”

Opened = dianoigō =

To open thoroughly what had been closed.

To open the eyes and ears.

To open the mind to understand.

To arouse the faculty and desire to learn.

To open by dividing or drawing asunder.
An open-mind is better than a closed door, preventing others from entering.

Old 08-09-2021, 10:20 PM

11,898 posts, read 3,709,906 times
Spurgeon was a Baptist but was very aware that doctrines were not the be-all and end-all of being a Christian - he seems to be aware of the changes that were happening in the church at that time and was very adept at using the same hyperbole, figures of speech, exaggerated language I see in a lot of religious, theological, philosophical writings aimed at particular types of readers

The same fixedness On the word, Scriptures, and church and their own assembly and calling which gets misunderstood and perverted later by their own adherents/worshippers later as they become the “fathers” in their own turn

This piece on universal redemption is from his work ‘A defence of Calvinism’

http://www.spurgeongems.org/tulip-df.pdf

Quote:
There is much which I might admire in the theory of universal redemption, but I will just show what the supposition necessarily involves. If Christ on His cross intended to save every man, then He intended to save those who were lost before He died. If the doctrine be true that He died for all men, then He died for some who were in hell before He came into this world, for doubtless there were even then myriads there who had been cast away because of their sins.
Once again, if it were Christ’s intention to save all men, how deplorably has He been disappointed, for we have His own testimony that there is a lake which burns with fire and brimstone, and into that pit of woe have been cast some of the very persons who, according to the theory of universal redemption, were bought with His blood. That seems to me a conception a thousand times more repulsive than any of those consequences which are said to be associated with the Calvinistic and Christian doctrine of special and particular redemption. To think that my Savior died for men who were, or are in hell, seems a supposition too horrible for me to entertain.
To imagine for a moment that He was the Substitute for all the sons of men, and that God, having first punished the Substitute, afterwards punished the sinners themselves, seems to conflict with all my ideas of divine justice. That Christ should offer an atonement and satisfaction for the sins of all men, and that afterwards some of those very men should be punished for the sins for which Christ had already atoned, appears to me to be the most monstrous iniquity that could ever have been imputed to Saturn, to Janus, to the goddess of the Thugs, or to the most diabolical heathen deities. God forbid that we should ever think thus of JEHOVAH, the just and wise and good!
There is no soul living who holds more firmly to the doctrines of grace than I do, and if any man asks me whether I am ashamed to be called a Calvinist, I answer, I wish to be called nothing but a Christian, but if you ask me, do I hold the doctrinal views which were held by John Calvin, I reply I do in the main hold them, and rejoice to avow it. But far be it from me even to imagine that Zion contains none but Calvinistic Christians within her walls, or that there are none saved who do not hold our views. Most atrocious things have been spoken about the character and spiritual condition of John Wesley, the modern prince of Arminians. I can only say concerning him, that while I detest many of the doctrines which he preached, yet for the man himself, I have a reverence second to no Wesleyan. And if there were wanted two apostles to be added to the number of the twelve, I do not believe that there could be found two men more fit to be so added than George Whitefield, and John Wesley.
The character of John Wesley stands beyond all imputation for self-sacrifice, zeal, holiness, and communion with God. He lived far above the ordinary level of common Christians, and was one “of whom the world was not worthy.” I believe there are multitudes of men who cannot see these truths or at least, cannot see them in the way in which we put them, who nevertheless have received Christ as their Savior, and are as dear to the heart of the God of grace as the most sound Calvinist in or out of heaven.
I do not think I differ from any of my Hyper-Calvinistic brethren in what I do believe, but I differ from them in what they do not believe. I do not hold any less than they do, but I hold a little more, and I think, a little more of the truth revealed in the Scriptures. Not only are there a few cardinal doctrines by which we can steer our ship North, South, East, or West, but as we study the Word, we shall begin to learn something about the Northwest and Northeast, and all else that lies between the four cardinal points. The system of truth revealed in the Scriptures is not simply one straight line, but two, no man will ever get a right view of the Gospel until he knows how to look at the two lines at once.

Last edited by Meerkat2; 08-09-2021 at 10:39 PM..

Old 08-10-2021, 05:27 AM

Meer: much thanks for posting from the remarkable Charles Spurgeon.

Our God speaks in lines, not just two, but between the lines as well.

Our glorious God will leave Charles, and everyone of us, in absolute wonder, reduced to a mere stutter.

“There are times when solitude is better than society, and silence is wiser than speech. We should be better Christians if we were more alone, waiting upon God, and gathering through meditation on His Word spiritual strength for labour in his service. We ought to muse upon the things of God, because we thus get the real nutriment out of them. . . . Why is it that some Christians, although they hear many sermons, make but slow advances in the divine life? Because they neglect their closets, and do not thoughtfully meditate on God's Word. They love the wheat, but they do not grind it; they would have the corn, but they will not go forth into the fields to gather it; the fruit hangs upon the tree, but they will not pluck it; the water flows at their feet, but they will not stoop to drink it. From such folly deliver us, O Lord. . . .” ~ Charles Spurgeon

Last edited by Rose2Luv; 08-10-2021 at 06:31 AM..

Old 08-10-2021, 12:03 PM

8,039 posts, read 1,847,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Justbyfaith, who is this written to and why?
It is written to all for the reason that is stated in that scripture.

Old 08-10-2021, 12:45 PM

63,844 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
Spurgeon was a Baptist but was very aware that doctrines were not the be-all and end-all of being a Christian - he seems to be aware of the changes that were happening in the church at that time and was very adept at using the same hyperbole, figures of speech, exaggerated language I see in a lot of religious, theological, philosophical writings aimed at particular types of readers

The same fixedness On the word, Scriptures, and church and their own assembly and calling which gets misunderstood and perverted later by their own adherents/worshippers later as they become the “fathers” in their own turn

This piece on universal redemption is from his work ‘A defence of Calvinism’

http://www.spurgeongems.org/tulip-df.pdf
I can see why you would reference him, Meerkat. It is the concept of punishment (instead of spiritual consequence earned by what we have become) that muddies his thinking. There is no punishment. There is correction and refining out of the dross we have accumulated within our Spirit. It is unpleasant and filled with regret and remorse (weeping and gnashing of teeth), but it is not punishment. It is a process of making our Spirits compatible with Christ's.

Old 08-10-2021, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I can see why you would reference him, Meerkat. It is the concept of punishment (instead of spiritual consequence earned by what we have become) that muddies his thinking. There is no punishment. There is correction and refining out of the dross we have accumulated within our Spirit. It is unpleasant and filled with regret and remorse (weeping and gnashing of teeth), but it is not punishment. It is a process of making our Spirits compatible with Christ's.
My brother Mystic: Our Father's objective is and always has been at-one-ment. All of His moves, in His mighty reach for us, are towards change and transformation. If in that process, the fire of His Presence increases in depth and intensity, it is but His objective of seeing His Face in the caldron of perfection.

"When your will is God's will, you will have your will.” ~ Charles Spurgeon

Old 08-10-2021, 02:56 PM

63,844 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose2Luv View Post
My brother Mystic: Our Father's objective is and always has been at-one-ment. All of His moves, in His mighty reach for us, are towards change and transformation. If in that process, the fire of His Presence increases in depth and intensity, it is but His objective of seeing His Face in the caldron of perfection.

"When your will is God's will, you will have your will.” ~ Charles Spurgeon

Old 08-10-2021, 03:02 PM

23,177 posts, read 10,468,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero 7 View Post
How much more proof is needed for them? Over and over they are shown great stuff like this but its not enough for them, they still spout the same

few verses like this over and over like parrots...BRACK! Broad is the path that leads to destruction..BRACK!..broad is the path that leads to destruction...BRACK!
That is temple design, the court IS the broad way, it surrounds the temple but it is not part of the temple proper, and there is still salvation in the court because of the alter of burnt offerings for the nations, and yet it leads to destruction because everyone in the court was building a new house, but it burns in the fire, and they alone are saved just as it says when the works of all men are tested to prove the house they built upon

The people tested by fire and are able to withstand the flames instead of being destroyed, they recieve the reward of the house they were building.

There is salvation in the broad way of the court, but still salvation.

Then there is the Holy place where the entire nation has access to.

Then the is the holy of holies and bvbanyone familiar with the holy of holies already know it's the narrow path.

Only the high priest may enter once a year, but it's very obvious why it was known as the narrow way.

How does the priest enter into a room with no door?

The Holy.of Holies has always been the narrow way, it's just that Gentiles dont know it. The court has always been known as the court of darkness Jesus sends Gentiles to, both are proven 8n tradtion, ritual and design, but the Gentile doesnt know it, he doesn't know design, or days and seasons, he doesn't know idioms of the temple and its times and seasons that are always being discussed.

Old 08-10-2021, 03:07 PM

23,177 posts, read 10,468,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justbyfaith View Post
It is written to all for the reason that is stated in that scripture.
What?

Lol, really?

Their history is our history?

True enough I guess, Christianity adopted the religion of Israel having the same holy days in common, the exact same religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity