Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2022, 04:09 PM

11,123 posts, read 6,393,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjGuru View Post
I don't really give credence to what other's think or teach. That goes for Augustine, Calvin, Aquinas or Hanson (I actually had to look Hanson up on Google...lol....to recall who he was!).

UR has come to me in little pieces over time, only as much as I could handle. I was not taught UR by others. I do read what others say about it, but I hold to what the Spirit of Christ has shown me. Because of that, I'm not a traditional UR believer.

For myself, it's more about flesh and spirit. The flesh (the natural man, carnal man, old man within us) perishes, while the spirit is saved in the day of the Lord (1Co 5:5). In the resurrection, our spirit will be united with our new spiritual and glorified body, sans flesh (1Co 15:42-44). And from there, we go to be with the Lord/Christ forever (Ecc 12:5).
Brother that sounds like me. could be why you usually speak my mind better then I do, lol. I am a hack when it comes to putting my thought in writing. No one taught me about the salvation of all, never even heard about it, and it was about 12 years before I ever talked with anyone who believed as I did.

Old 08-23-2022, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
You gave me Brett's website who quotes a 19th century reactionary New England theologian.

Anybody can say anything. Has any other historian mentioned this "6 catechetical schools" theory?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose2Luv View Post

History of opinions -Edward Beecher, D.D.

https://www.tentmaker.org/books/Retr...tribution.html
Yup opinions, not beechers opinion.

Old 08-23-2022, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
You gave me Brett's website who quotes a 19th century reactionary New England theologian.

Anybody can say anything. Has any other historian mentioned this "6 catechetical schools" theory?
Quote:

History of opinions -Edward Beecher, D.D.

https://www.tentmaker.org/books/Retr...tribution.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
Yup opinions, not beechers opinion.
Now can you give me the information of what you stated.

Old 08-23-2022, 04:19 PM

7,530 posts, read 3,032,424 times
Quote:
I don't really give credence to what other's think or teach. That goes for Augustine, Calvin, Aquinas or Hanson (I actually had to look Hanson up on Google...lol....to recall who he was!).

UR has come to me in little pieces over time, only as much as I could handle. I was not taught UR by others. I do read what others say about it, but I hold to what the Spirit of Christ has shown me. Because of that, I'm not a traditional UR believer.

For myself, it's more about flesh and spirit. The flesh (the natural man, carnal man, old man within us) perishes, while the spirit is saved in the day of the Lord (1Co 5:5). In the resurrection, our spirit will be united with our new spiritual and glorified body, sans flesh (1Co 15:42-44). And from there, we go to be with the Lord/Christ forever (Ecc 12:5).
Rosie was part of a fellowship many moons ago. In that fellowship many spiritual songs were birthed which pointed to the glorious Gospel of reconciliation. I was singing, what years later became a fire within my old bones.

One cannot learn this song, it must be birthed within.

Old 08-23-2022, 04:36 PM

1,091 posts, read 279,369 times
Quote:
Rosie was part of a fellowship many moons ago. In that fellowship many spiritual songs were birthed which pointed to the glorious Gospel of reconciliation. I was singing, what years later became a fire within my old bones.

So true. Blessings to you, my friend!

Old 08-23-2022, 04:38 PM

Quote:

that last sentence

Old 08-23-2022, 10:36 PM

553 posts, read 173,148 times
Edward Beecher was the brother of Harriet Beecher Stowe. Abraham Lincoln said her book Uncle Tom's Cabin helped precipitate the Civil War against slavery. No wonder someone from Alabama would despise that righteous family.

Old 08-23-2022, 11:24 PM

553 posts, read 173,148 times
Quote:
Tradition has been used to abuse the word of God for thousands of years, predating the RCC's existence. It was even abused in Jesus' day by those who were entrusted with preserving the oracles of God (Rom 3:2). A few examples of such abuse are found here:

Mat 15:3 But he answered and said unto them, Why do ye also transgress the commandment of God by your tradition?

Mat 15:6 And honour not his father or his mother, he shall be free. Thus have ye made the commandment of God of none effect by your tradition.

Mar 7:13 Making the word of God of none effect through your tradition, which ye have delivered: and many such like things do ye.

What I find of interest is that Jesus called Jewish tradition "your tradition". Christ would not identify with it, at least not the ones He repudiated, even though Jesus Himself was a Jew, raised in the Jewish Synagogue.

I'm not necessarily Sola-Scriptura as the Protestant church is, because the concept of "tradition" is found in scripture. The Greek term "παράδοσις", translated as "tradition" or "ordinance" in the KJV, is found 11 times or so in the Greek NT.

When the term is employed by Paul, it's used in the sense of orally being taught what had been previously written down on parchment. The term "παράδοσις" carries with it the meaning of "delivery". It's not only about what is being said, but how it's being delivered. Obviously, there were no printing presses in Paul's day, and good scribes were hard to come by, so virtually everything that circulated among congregations was "oral" rather than transcribed from original source material and hand delivered to it's congregants.

When I was a student in school, I remember an experiment where the person sitting farthest back in class would read to the student sitting in front of them a very short single paragraph story. That student would then tell the story to the person sitting in front of them, etc. After the short story made it's way to the front of the class it was then written on the black board for the class to read. The original story had became indecipherable. Much like what tradition can do to scripture.

Tradition, from my perspective, is simply the word of God being delivered orally to a congregation, rather than being read from parchment (Gk "μεμβράνα"). Whether delivered orally (tradition) or by letter (parchment), the two must always agree. And it's not a matter of interpretation. They must agree "verbatim". If you don't have written scripture (parchment) to support what you say orally (tradition), then oral tradition can make the word of God "of none effect".
“I think this is very clear: a Church that does not develop its thinking in an ecclesial sense, is a Church that is going backward,” he said, describing it as “today’s problem, and of many who call themselves traditional.”

Such “people looking to the past, going backward, without roots” are sinning, he said, as “looking backward is a sin because it does not progress with the Church.” ~ Pope Francis - July 2022

Old 08-24-2022, 03:45 AM

20,443 posts, read 12,801,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellsmaine View Post
Edward Beecher was the brother of Harriet Beecher Stowe. Abraham Lincoln said her book Uncle Tom's Cabin helped precipitate the Civil War against slavery. No wonder someone from Alabama would despise that righteous family.
I can’t believe you said that!

Old 08-24-2022, 04:44 AM

4,085 posts, read 883,024 times
Here is one scripture that explains there is an eternal punishment.

Matthew 25:46 Jesus said, “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”

Many believe in a temporary punishment, whereas after punishment all the unrepentant will go to eternal life with Jesus. Jesus says that there is an eternal punishment.

However, some will receive a temporary punishment.

Here is one scripture that should stop some from saying that Jesus will save all.

Exodus 32:33 The LORD replied to Moses, “Whoever has sinned against me I will blot out of my book.

Some believe in Universalism, a belief that all will be saved. However, this one scripture shows that God will blot people out of the book of the living.

Last edited by Jesus'Truth; 08-24-2022 at 04:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity