Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2019, 09:50 AM

63,817 posts, read 40,099,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
You're just a record that keeps on repeating, aren't you? Do you know any other tunes?

How about the one about the True God that loves his creation so much that despite their sin and hatred for him, he chose to become a man and die in their place a horrible, bloody death. That because of his great love for us, we are now saved by him, despite the fact that we were born haters of him? That because he loved us so much he regenerated our hearts and gave us love for him?
We do not disagree that this is what took place. We only disagree about WHY. You actually believe God's love is incapable of just forgiving us. You think He needed to be appeased by the horrible bloody death we inflicted on Jesus which is silly. Jesus achieved what none of us were capable of. He unambiguously demonstrated the full extent and power of God's love by enduring our ancestors' brutal savagery while still loving them - even His torturers and murderers because of their ignorance of God's love - they knew not what they were doing.
Quote:
That God is much bigger and more loving than any silly, petty being you have dreamed up that is so small he isn't holy enough to actually see sin.
Your focus on sin ignores the fact that Jesus said God is NOT counting our sins against us anymore because of what Jesus achieved as a human for the rest of us. Your particular carnal disgust or disdain for the LGBT community is what seems to drive your insistence on focusing on sin instead of spiritual love despite what Jesus achieved.

Last edited by MysticPhD; 09-13-2019 at 10:22 AM..

Old 09-13-2019, 09:51 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,596,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
ahhh.... so a blood sacrifice WAS needed, according to the old Jewish traditions.

And then ritual cannibalism follows, where many Christian literally think they are eating Jesus's flesh and drinking his blood, like vampires.

If we went to some remote tribes and saw these rituals, we would view them as highly superstitious and primitive.

As well we should.
Quote:
According to God's standard. Going back to Genesis prior to the Mosaic Law.

If you wish to have a serious discussion, don't make an ass of yourself, please. That doesn't really help endear us to you. At least TRY to represent our side accurately, if you would.

Look up transubstantiation. I am surprised you don't know about. It is what the largest Christian denomination practices, teaches, preaches and believes in. Over 1.2 BILLION of your fellow Christians.

Why don't you know this?

Old 09-13-2019, 09:57 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times
Quote:
Do you mean love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, and self-control?

The Spirit of God is all of those things. He's God.
Here it is folks! It's not really a lie, it's just not the whole truth because BF has said that he believes that God has qualities that are in direct conflict with these, refusing to see that God does not have a split personality, showing one side to those approved by BF's theology and the scary side to those that don't

Old 09-13-2019, 10:20 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,024,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Here it is folks! It's not really a lie, it's just not the whole truth because BF has said that he believes that God has qualities that are in direct conflict with these, refusing to see that God does not have a split personality, showing one side to those approved by BF's theology and the scary side to those that don't
What qualities would those be that contradict?

Old 09-13-2019, 10:21 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,024,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
[/b]
Look up transubstantiation. I am surprised you don't know about. It is what the largest Christian denomination practices, teaches, preaches and believes in. Over 1.2 BILLION of your fellow Christians.

Why don't you know this?
I'm aware of what it is. And I don't believe it. Please realize that when you want to discuss Christianity, it doesn't mean we're discussing Catholicism and its offshoots, necessarily. Nor would a Catholic call themselves cannibals by believing in it. To use such a term is disrespectful.

Old 09-13-2019, 12:16 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
That's an interesting question.

You are asking if the plan of God should be changed.

You are also illustrating that you don't understand the weight and importance of the death of Jesus.

Humanly speaking, we would probably be like Peter in Matthew 16 in not wanting Jesus to die... but 2,000 years later - I understand the absolute necessity of His death. So I wouldn't change a thing knowing what I know now. The love of God and the sacrifice of Jesus is great beyond any words.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
So, you prefer to pull someone in front of you as a human shield, instead of taking the bullet yourself?
Ditto the bold in your case.

Old 09-13-2019, 12:46 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
Quote:
You still have yet to understand what was behind him being crucified. There is nothing equal to the love of God, nothing absolutely nothing, so please stop trying to put things on a level par with it. His love is universes away from anything you are trying to pair with it.

Old 09-13-2019, 02:02 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,596,304 times
Quote:
I'm aware of what it is. And I don't believe it. Please realize that when you want to discuss Christianity, it doesn't mean we're discussing Catholicism and its offshoots, necessarily. Nor would a Catholic call themselves cannibals by believing in it. To use such a term is disrespectful.
First of all Catholics ARE Christian, and for over 1400 years were substantially the only Christians out there. Now, I concur that most Catholics would not see it that they are practising ritualistic cannibalism, but what would you call it, when literally they believe they are eating the flesh and drinking the blood of Jesus?

How is it disrespectful calling something what it really is because it causes discomfort?

Old 09-13-2019, 02:05 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,365,848 times
Quote:
That's an interesting question.

You are asking if the plan of God should be changed.

You are also illustrating that you don't understand the weight and importance of the death of Jesus.

Humanly speaking, we would probably be like Peter in Matthew 16 in not wanting Jesus to die... but 2,000 years later - I understand the absolute necessity of His death. So I wouldn't change a thing knowing what I know now. The love of God and the sacrifice of Jesus is great beyond any words.
Quote:
So, you prefer to pull someone in front of you as a human shield, instead of taking the bullet yourself?
Quote:
D Rob, I understand what he did, as I have two bullet holes from laying my life down for that of another. What I do not agree with is your interpretation that a blood sacrifice covers your sins; a lamb to be slain. And, not everything under the law required a blood sacrifice, or an eye for an eye - a life for a life, nor that of your imputation theology and scapegoating from taking any responsibility for your own thoughts, deeds and actions. Although, I do believe that love covers a multitude of sin through that of forgiveness: "Father, forgive them for they know not what they do."

Last edited by Jerwade; 09-13-2019 at 02:18 PM..

Old 09-13-2019, 02:35 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Quote:
D Rob, I understand what he did, as I have two bullet holes from laying my life down for that of another. What I do not agree with is your interpretation that a blood sacrifice covers your sins; a lamb to be slain. And, not everything under the law required a blood sacrifice, or an eye for an eye - a life for a life, nor that of your imputation theology and scapegoating from taking any responsibility for your own thoughts, deeds and actions. Although, I do believe that love covers a multitude of sin through that of forgiveness: "Father, forgive them for they know not what they do."
I understand what you understand... that's why I said you don't get it.

It's not MY interpretation. It's what the Bible says - which I also understand that you don't believe in full.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity