Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2021, 07:21 PM

4,483 posts, read 1,346,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
To Charlie, "denying the word of God" means denying that the ENTIRE Bible (all 66 books or more) by different authors and purposes are ALL the literal dictated word of God, no exceptions. Of course, that is preposterous and not remotely what the Bible ever claims for itself. It simply CONTAINS inspirations from God but they must be tested for validity against the "mind of Christ" for a Christian. Charlie kinda skips and ignores that step.
So Mystic knows the the "mind of Christ" and he can tell us which authors to believe and not believe, what verses are trustworthy and which are not?

That's amazing isn't it?

Old 02-19-2021, 07:21 PM

6,840 posts, read 2,966,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie24 View Post
Look at my reputation in the top right corner of my posts and then look at yours.

You are the man, Rom., I'm just a want ta be.

You can't trust my biblical comprehension.
I've been here since 2015. I rarely look at the top right hand corner of one's posts - including my own - and I'm not sure why you even brought that up. The length of time we've been here or how many reputation points we've acquired has no bearing on my responses to someone's posts and that includes yours.

You know, Charlie, I really don't want to come across as being mean to you but you really do need to get over your fear of God. He scares you, man, as He does many mainstream Christians, and this fear is SO unwarranted. Right now it's more important that you warm to the fact that you live on Planet Earth and Heaven can wait. In the interim you share this planet with other 'unworthy' souls who are no better and no worse than you are. You need to stop using the Bible as a means to demean others while under the illusion that God is approving of you doing so. Yes, you're in fear of the God of the Bible and so you must at least give the token impression that you live your life according to scripture. The Westboro Baptist Church folks do the same thing but they're much more 'in-your-face' about it ...not that I've heard anything from them in a long time.

Old 02-19-2021, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
I've been here since 2015. I rarely look at the top right hand corner of one's posts - including my own - and I'm not sure why you even brought that up. The length of time we've been here or how many reputation points we've acquired has no bearing on my responses to someone's posts and that includes yours.

You know, Charlie, I really don't want to come across as being mean to you but you really do need to get over your fear of God. He scares you, man, as He does many mainstream Christians, and this fear is SO unwarranted. Right now it's more important that you warm to the fact that you live on Planet Earth and Heaven can wait. In the interim you share this planet with other 'unworthy' souls who are no better and no worse than you are. You need to stop using the Bible as a means to demean others while under the illusion that God is approving of you doing so. Yes, you're in fear of the God of the Bible and so you must at least give the token impression that you live your life according to scripture. The Westboro Baptist Church folks do the same thing but they're much more 'in-your-face' about it ...not that I've heard anything from them in a long time.
Rom, I'm trying to get over my fear of God but I'm afraid He going to hurt me, like really bad if don't keep living this lie.

Would you please talk to God on my behalf and tell me what He said?

Old 02-19-2021, 07:32 PM

64,103 posts, read 40,400,105 times
Quote:
To Charlie, "denying the word of God" means denying that the ENTIRE Bible (all 66 books or more) by different authors and purposes are ALL the literal dictated word of God, no exceptions. Of course, that is preposterous and not remotely what the Bible ever claims for itself. It simply CONTAINS inspirations from God but they must be tested for validity against the "mind of Christ" for a Christian. Charlie kinda skips and ignores that step.
Quote:
So Mystic knows the the "mind of Christ" and he can tell us which authors to believe and not believe, what verses are trustworthy and which are not?
That's amazing isn't it?
It's not surprising that you think that is amazing, Charlie. You have made no effort at all to actually understand the "mind of Christ" or the "mind of God." I guess it is too much work with trying to interpret all the conflicting, contradictory, and inconsistent verses in the Bible to make them look like they agree and are all the "gold" inspirations of God.

Old 02-19-2021, 07:34 PM

1,799 posts, read 566,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Yes, it's easy to attack a strawman of someone else, isn't it? Not the most honest argument.
Since I provided the examples that you asked for , I hardly made a strawman argument. I showed that Christians have a loooonnngg history of abusing the rights of gays, sometimes violently so. That this has been shown to you beyond doubt after you tried to deflect it by asking for examples is not a strawman argument, since it was about Christianity as a whole.

Quote:
I'm telling you that hateful behavior from Christians is not right. Christians who do the things that you've mentioned, I would not call Christian. But you and others do. So what we have is you attacking all Christians based on the caricature that you see. It's a strawman argument.
First, it's not a caricature. Sorry, but the history of Christianity abusing gays is long and and well documented. Second, claiming these folks "aren't real Christians" is the classic No True Scotsman fallacious claim. Christianity rails against homosexuality and homosexuals, Christian churches and groups actively work to suppress the rights of gays and interfere in their personal lives and freedoms, and some Christians see and hear this from their churches and Christian leaders and go act against homosexuals in a variety of abusive ways. If this upsets you then perhaps you should work within your faith to correct the situation rather than rail against people who legitimately point this out to you in discussions.

Quote:
You want to take me to task for what I believe? Do it. Be my guest. But don't try to hold me accountable for what some yahoo does that doesn't even represent me. It's not reasonable.
I don't care about what you believe as an individual. I suggested Christians learn to live and let live with gays, and rather than agree with this simple suggestion you tried to turn the tables and suggest this is the gays fault because they wish to "censor " you . I simply showed the historic abuse of gays by the Christian church and whose side the blame lies with, and this seems to have upset you. Once again, perhaps work within your faith to correct the problem you don't like being associated with rather than getting angry with those pointing the truth out to you.

Last edited by NatesDude; 02-19-2021 at 07:43 PM..

Old 02-19-2021, 07:36 PM

Quote:
It's not surprising that you think that is amazing, Charlie. You have made no effort at all to actually understand the "mind of Christ" or the "mind of God." I guess it is too much work with trying to interpret all the conflicting, contradictory, and inconsistent verses in the Bible to make them look like they agree and are all the "gold" inspirations of God.
You're right Mystic, what have I been thinking.

It's to hard for the Creator of this world to keep His Word pure for us.

Old 02-19-2021, 07:37 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,246,813 times
I guess it depends. Many so-called “Christians” treat gays as though they have committed the eternal aka the unforgivable sin. Whether these wackos actually believe being gay is the unpardonable sin I cannot say, all I know is they sure as Hell imply it by how they treat such people.

Old 02-19-2021, 07:44 PM

64,103 posts, read 40,400,105 times
Quote:
No, Charlie, it would not be hard, but there is no evidence He did and plenty of evidence He did not. We darned pesky, ignorant, free-willed humans messed everything up ever since He gave us Dominion down here on earth. Fortunately, God gave us Jesus to help us sort out the wheat from the chaff. Too bad you don't take advantage of His revelations about God, Charlie.

Old 02-19-2021, 07:46 PM

1,799 posts, read 566,885 times
Quote:

One of the great ironies of fundamentalist logic is they claim on the one hand that God can and does keep the Bible "pure", and then on the other they will rant and rail against most Bible versions out there except a very few they approve of, some of them only approving of one, the KJV.

The humor in this never seems to occur to them for some reason.

Old 02-19-2021, 07:46 PM

Quote:
No, Charlie, it would not be hard, but there is no evidence He did and plenty of evidence He did not. We darned pesky, ignorant, free-willed humans messed everything up ever since He gave us Dominion down here on earth. Fortunately, God gave us Jesus to help us sort out the wheat from the chaff. Too bad you don't take advantage of His revelations about God, Charlie.
I just gave you yesterday the scripture to assure us that God will preserve His Word.

But that's not good enough for someone in denial, is it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity