Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2021, 08:35 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,216,558 times

Advertisements

Poor, sad fundies.

Those darn gays have to be treated like human beings. It's just not fair!!

Old 03-03-2021, 09:36 AM

4,466 posts, read 1,609,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Please don't try to cast this argument as if we're the regressive ones. THis isn't about women's suffrage. Let's keep it on topic. Can you do that?

I do understand it, thank you. No one is saying we have absolute rights. But it is amazing how they are being trampled on in the name of "progress".

Again..we aren't the ones asking for things to change, or to be radically different than they've been for a long time.

I see what you did there. Very slick. That's like me asking you "Have you stopped beating your wife yet?"

We aren't any more prejudiced than you or anyone else is. So please stop insulting us.
The two bolded statements seem to contradict, BF. You don't want things to change, or be different, but also say you aren't the regressive ones? Which is it? You guys want us to stop advancing, and stop moving forward in the name of your religion. We want to change and move forward, and become a more inclusive society.

The fact is, fundamentalists are by definition, not progressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Poor, sad fundies.

Those darn gays have to be treated like human beings. It's just not fair!!

It's just so awful for them, isn't it? The world is SOOOO unfair to white Christian males, isn't it?

Old 03-03-2021, 09:46 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,044,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
The two bolded statements seem to contradict, BF. You don't want things to change, or be different, but also say you aren't the regressive ones? Which is it? You guys want us to stop advancing, and stop moving forward in the name of your religion. We want to change and move forward, and become a more inclusive society.
I'm not suggesting we regress. That's my point. I'm not suggesting we revert back to what we used to be, as much as I'm saying that sometimes change for the sake of change isn't better. When you take a system that works pretty well and change it just to change it and trample the rights of others in the process, that's an issue.
Quote:

It's just so awful for them, isn't it? The world is SOOOO unfair to white Christian males, isn't it?
What does race have to do with this? The fact that you're taunting me as a white Christian male is racist, sexist, and bigoted.

How about we just be nice? That's all I'm asking.

Old 03-03-2021, 09:53 AM

25,461 posts, read 9,833,669 times
Quote:
I'm not suggesting we regress. That's my point. I'm not suggesting we revert back to what we used to be, as much as I'm saying that sometimes change for the sake of change isn't better. When you take a system that works pretty well and change it just to change it and trample the rights of others in the process, that's an issue.
All I can say is wow that you actually thought the system has been working pretty well all these years, lol. I guess my question has to be, for who? None of this has been change for the sake of change. All men were created equal according to our founders. Except some were more equal than others until recently. Just curious as to whose rights have been trampled.

Old 03-03-2021, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
All I can say is wow that you actually thought the system has been working pretty well all these years, lol. I guess my question has to be, for who? None of this has been change for the sake of change. All men were created equal according to our founders. Except some were more equal than others until recently. Just curious as to whose rights have been trampled.
Again..change of topic. Let's stay on the discussion of LGBTQ and Christainity. But I see what you're doing. You're attempting to frame us as pro-slavery, anti-freedom by brining this up. This is shameful.

Slavery ended and black men and women were given freedom and the right to vote many many years ago. In major part due to our Constitution allowing for changes--and because of Christians working for it.

Old 03-03-2021, 10:10 AM

16,708 posts, read 15,705,282 times
Quote:

What does race have to do with this? The fact that you're taunting me as a white Christian male is racist, sexist, and bigoted.

How about we just be nice? That's all I'm asking.
Nobody is trampling the rights of others. Granting equality to someone who hasn't had it does not diminish your rights.

Old 03-03-2021, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Again..change of topic. Let's stay on the discussion of LGBTQ and Christainity. But I see what you're doing. You're attempting to frame us as pro-slavery, anti-freedom by brining this up. This is shameful.

Slavery ended and black men and women were given freedom and the right to vote many many years ago. In major part due to our Constitution allowing for changes--and because of Christians working for it.
If you've ever read The Warmth of Other Suns you will see how the emancipation proclamation and the Civil Rights Act did not bring the freedom and equality that people think it did. We were never taught the truth in school. Things got MUCH worse before they got better. And even now, well, we still have a long way to go.

I never veered off topic. I was talking about the gay community, not slavery, when I referenced your statement about things being pretty good the way they were. Not sure how the subject of slavery even came up here.

Old 03-03-2021, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Nobody is trampling the rights of others. Granting equality to someone who hasn't had it does not diminish your rights.
To quote a Facebook meme, it's not pie.

Old 03-03-2021, 10:13 AM

16,708 posts, read 15,705,282 times
Quote:

Your denomination was split in two over the issue of slavery. The American Baptists were opposed to slavery, so the Baptists that supported slavery broke away and formed the Southern Baptist Convention. Granted, the Southern Baptists have since apologized for their stance regarding slavery.

I believe the Southern Baptists are still opposed to allowing LGBT people to gain leadership roles in their congregations.

Old 03-03-2021, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I never veered off topic. I was talking about the gay community, not slavery, when I referenced your statement about things being pretty good the way they were. Not sure how the subject of slavery even came up here.
My apologies....you mentioned the Founding Fathers of our nation. What was your point in regards to in regards to LGBT?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity