Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2021, 10:14 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,047,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Your denomination was split in two over the issue of slavery. The American Baptists were opposed to slavery, so the Baptists that supported slavery broke away and formed the Southern Baptist Convention. Granted, the Southern Baptists have since apologized for their stance regarding slavery.

I believe the Southern Baptists are still opposed to allowing LGBT people to gain leadership roles in their congregations.
What's your point? Do you have one? Or are you simply trying to drag the name of Baptists through the mud further in an attempt to draw the discussion off topic?

Old 03-03-2021, 10:14 AM

25,461 posts, read 9,838,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
My apologies....you mentioned the Founding Fathers of our nation. What was your point in regards to in regards to LGBT?
I was talking about equality in general. My point is everyone is supposed to be created equal according to them. LGBT folks, not so much until recently.

Old 03-03-2021, 10:20 AM

4,466 posts, read 1,610,021 times
Quote:
I'm not suggesting we regress. That's my point. I'm not suggesting we revert back to what we used to be, as much as I'm saying that sometimes change for the sake of change isn't better. When you take a system that works pretty well and change it just to change it and trample the rights of others in the process, that's an issue.
Works well for who, exactly? It wasn't working real well for the LGBT community, now was it? You guys want things to be "like they used to be", which seems to be pretty regressive to me. And what rights are being trampled, exactly? Your "right" to freely discriminate against those you don't like?

Quote:
What does race have to do with this? The fact that you're taunting me as a white Christian male is racist, sexist, and bigoted.

How about we just be nice? That's all I'm asking.
Plenty. The people with the biggest advantages in this country are white, Christian (straight) men. Incidentally, they are also the ones who pitch the biggest fit about LGBT people being treated like everyone else. So, as far as this topic goes, white males (who have more privilege than anyone else) are the loudest.

Old 03-03-2021, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I was talking about equality in general. My point is everyone is supposed to be created equal according to them. LGBT folks, not so much until recently.
The Constitution is ignorant of LGBT. No, they were not discriminated against. There were, of course, individual states that passed laws, but that's beside the point. Your comment was in regards to federal law.

Old 03-03-2021, 10:21 AM

63,901 posts, read 40,178,831 times
Quote:
Nobody is trampling the rights of others. Granting equality to someone who hasn't had it does not diminish your rights.

Old 03-03-2021, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
Works well for who, exactly? It wasn't working real well for the LGBT community, now was it? You guys want things to be "like they used to be", which seems to be pretty regressive to me. And what rights are being trampled, exactly? Your "right" to freely discriminate against those you don't like?

Plenty. The people with the biggest advantages in this country are white, Christian (straight) men. Incidentally, they are also the ones who pitch the biggest fit about LGBT people being treated like everyone else. So, as far as this topic goes, white males (who have more privilege than anyone else) are the loudest.
What part of "I'm not suggesting we regress to any previous laws" do you not comprehend?" You seem to have an issue in understanding that I'm not suggesting we go back to 1860. No one is. No one is advocating discrimination. The only ones that are expressing prejudice is you and a few others that have badmouthed religious people.

Old 03-03-2021, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Nobody is trampling the rights of others. Granting equality to someone who hasn't had it does not diminish your rights.
No one is arguing against equality. But I see the tactic you're using. You are attempting to rebrand the argument to be about equality. Why do you have to distract? It's a strawman argument. Why not actually argue the same thing I'm arguing?

Old 03-03-2021, 10:33 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,251,427 times
If God created us in his image and knitted up together in our mother's womb than it stands to reason, for a Christian, that whether or not you like the fact that homosexuals exist, you are obligated by the Lord to love them as they are and to hold your arms open and invite them in, for they are as the Lord made them.

Noone wakes up and says life would be so much easier if I was gay. They are the way they are. You can dislike the "sin" but you must love the sinner. And on that token, if God created man in his image and gave him the thought and will to be a homosexual then homosexual sin in and of itself is not actually a sin, as long as it is sex within the confines of marriage. Promiscuous sex no matter who its with is sinful. But sex within the loving relationship you have with your partner is not only not a sin but it is glorifying to God.

However, even if a Christian adheres to the belief that homosexuality is a sin, they have no right to treat the sinner abhorrently as God is a loving God and he is the judge. You are not to judge others for that is not your place. Doing things that are deliberately hurtful to others is a sin. Punishing someone for their perceived sins is playing God. Committing a sin in order to punish someone else's sin is not acceptable.

Old 03-03-2021, 10:35 AM

25,461 posts, read 9,838,195 times
Quote:
The Constitution is ignorant of LGBT. No, they were not discriminated against. There were, of course, individual states that passed laws, but that's beside the point. Your comment was in regards to federal law.
My point is they have been and are continuing to be discriminated against. Thankfully, we're moving in the right direction with same sex marriage and other issues. I had initially referenced your statement about things working pretty well the way they were. I disagreed.

Old 03-03-2021, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
My point is they have been and are continuing to be discriminated against. Thankfully, we're moving in the right direction with same sex marriage and other issues. I had initially referenced your statement about things working pretty well the way they were. I disagreed.
In what way?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity