Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2021, 03:29 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,392,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
I get your point. But what makes America great is we can agree to disagree. What I'm not liking is when there's a group of people who want you (us)to think, behave, and believe in a particular way eliminating any individual freedom of thinking. When you do, you are labeled a traitor unpatriotic, and enemy of the cause etc and the list goes on and on. To me that's thuggish mentality. It's no different than being in a gang.
The same holds true for religious groups or Organizations, as you are labeled an unbeliever?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2021, 06:16 PM

11,134 posts, read 7,191,653 times
Quote:
What do you think about people bowing down to the American Flag?
It's weird, but then again, we've got lots of weirdness in this country. Freedom to be strange.

Just grin and roll your eyes, and move on...

Old 01-16-2021, 03:00 PM

1,400 posts, read 770,364 times
Quote:
her flag.

I had to gently tell her that I only bow down to my God and my LORD and Savior simply because that's a form of idolatry.

It's disturbing to me that people are putting their country, political views, and even their own religion over God or at least putting them on the same level as God.

What do you think about people bowing down to the American Flag?
I'm not entirely clear what you are referring to, but in communist places like North Korea, I'm pretty sure if you don't bow when they tell you to, you can kiss your life goodbye.

Old 01-22-2021, 10:44 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,464,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highway54 View Post
Same as you sir, what it is exactly, idolotry. All Christians allegiance belongs to God. The American flag, nor the country it represents is God's Kingdom, the government in which all Christians submit to.
Now that Vatican flag--it's a different story. It does represent God's Kingdom and the government to which all Christians submit to (until that pesky rebellion called the Reformation created the degenerate secular culture of the 21st century). Haha

The correct way entering the church is to bow to the altar, but if there is a Tridentine-era tabernacle on the wall at the end of the centre aisle, then you genuflect (quick kneel) with the right knee. (Though it's traditionally proper to genuflect with the left knee to a secular ruler or relic.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
That said, it's more than just conservatives doing it. Liberals also bow to the idea of what they want our nation to be, and push God out of it.
I have actually listened to a secular sermon before in church. (It's the Catholic Church so direct quotation/restatement from scripture is rare in these shorter 5-15 minute sermons/homilies.)

5.5 years ago I was visiting L.A. on a Sunday morning. Went to the moderne iconoclastic cathedral Downtown metonymically named after the patron saint of the city for the main Sunday late-morning mass.

The sermon was about being nice to others. Apparently this is sorely needed in this town with the Hollywood culture expecting Angelenos to be rude, fake, flakey, etc. Basically the gist of the sermon boiled down to not being a dick, despite a-holery being expected and encouraged in this town.

I was surprised that the priest would confront this issue head-on and it transformed "Love thy Neighbor" from the run-of-the mill sermon topic usually delivered in monotone from the towering ivory pulpit.

Old 01-22-2021, 11:41 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,630,589 times
Quote:
You are generalizing Christians. I am a born again Christian and I would NEVER bow down to any thing but my God and my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. With that said, as a law abiding Christian, I wouldn't try to overthrow the government just because I disagree with the election. As an African-American male, I'm not going to go out and riot just because I'm upset with the judicial system. A true Christian understands that as well.
Well, if thats accurate, then God must frown upon America as a nation!

After all, how did America become a free and separate nation? A percentage of the colonists decided they were upset about how they were being governed, they attempted to do it the 'right' way at first, but eventually they resorted to violence, destruction of property, looting, etc...We celebrate this every July 4th today!!

Old 01-22-2021, 12:16 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,745,578 times
we all have a right to select our own government individually. democracy is tyranny and the US government has no legitimate right to govern us.

Old 01-22-2021, 12:33 PM

11,902 posts, read 3,719,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
we all have a right to select our own government individually. democracy is tyranny and the US government has no legitimate right to govern us.
Lol

Individuals do not have unlimited freedoms

If you are in a society you are subject to the rules of that particular society

If you want to be free of society go find an island somewhere and do your own thing, you will need to provide for yourself though

Everyone thinks it’s ok to reap the benefits of society, but do not understand that those “benefits” do not just drop from the “sky” by “magic“ that these things are developed, have developed, over time and have been built up

Certainly there is corruption in society generally because societies are made up of individual humans who just think of their own limited needs, within their own particular group, but society as a whole has had and does need “administrators”

USA probably will need to decide whether to be the USA or just separate states of North America

Last edited by Meerkat2; 01-22-2021 at 12:46 PM..

Old 01-22-2021, 05:58 PM

11,134 posts, read 7,191,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
LOL You have the freedom to believe that fantasy, but it won't see the light of day in this country. You'll have to find some island somewhere where you can create your own world. That's a discussion for a different forum.

But in the simplest sense, a drop doesn't rule the ocean. And you're the drop in this case. Or as a friend once said: "The dog wags the tail, the tail doesn't wag the dog" (wink).

Last edited by Thoreau424; 01-22-2021 at 06:11 PM..

Old 01-22-2021, 08:03 PM

10,503 posts, read 7,059,966 times
I am a patriot. I am loyal to my country. But I have a problem with churches that wrap themselves up in the flag and have patriotic rallies around July 4th. It's not scriptural at all, and it implies that the interests of God and the interests of the United States are one an the same. Nope.

Old 01-23-2021, 02:07 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,745,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
Lol

Individuals do not have unlimited freedoms

If you are in a society you are subject to the rules of that particular society
i never said anything about having unlimited freedoms.

government exists to serve us, not the other way around. there is no need for people to be ruled by a government based on where they live. they should be able to choose whatever government they wish or do not wish. why do you have a problem with that?

some people think that they are christians and jesus is their lord. you are really a statist and the government is your lord and savior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity