Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2021, 05:34 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,696,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
That's right. And my argument has been she said she bows to God and she bows to her flag. I know people have said that she meant she stands up for her flag and I agree. But she literally said bow.
Yep, She may have said that but what I see happening in my everyday life is that people quite often pick words that don’t express exactly what they mean, and from what you have related I just don’t see that her intention was to say she literally bowed down to the literal flag, it seems to me her intent was to express her commitment and standing up for her country
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2021, 06:32 PM

10,036 posts, read 4,963,384 times
Quote:
her flag.
I had to gently tell her that I only bow down to my God and my LORD and Savior simply because that's a form of idolatry.
It's disturbing to me that people are putting their country, political views, and even their own religion over God or at least putting them on the same level as God.
What do you think about people bowing down to the American Flag?
To me it is Not so much what I think, but what would Jesus think_______________
Scripture shows us that Jesus and his followers were: politically neutral.
So, the taking or choosing of sides creates division among peoples.
Thus, we need to be like those 1st-century Christians and Not get involved with the political.
They did Not even get involved in the issues of the day between the Jews and the Romans.

Old 02-11-2021, 04:00 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,357,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
So, the taking or choosing of sides creates division among peoples.
Yet, you constantly create division among people with your "us" and "them" mentality.

Old 02-11-2021, 01:00 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,802,950 times
Quote:
You are absolutely right. Unfortunately some of my Christian brothers and sisters seem to think that when God told us to go out and evangelize the world that also meant that we were supposed to go out and moralize the world as well. The Bible has never told us to put our beliefs on a non-believer. We are commanded to go out tell the world about the death burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ and leave it at that. If the person rejects it, Then we should move on to the next person in agape love.

However as a Bible believing Christian if one of our fellow Christian who attends our church or another church gets involved in sin that's and only then when we are to come to them in Christian love to discuss the sin and correct their behavior.

Christians aren't supposed to go and correct the behavior of an unbeliever. The Bible never teaches that.
What is evangelism but the belief that yours is the correct way and that you are to lead others to it? That's awfully presumptuous. I think it's safe to say there isn't a soul in this country who doesn't know what the bible is about by now.

Last edited by trobesmom; 02-11-2021 at 01:13 PM..

Old 04-20-2021, 06:25 AM

3,532 posts, read 6,424,262 times
I agree.

Old 04-21-2021, 12:08 PM

23,148 posts, read 10,445,085 times
Quote:
her flag.

I had to gently tell her that I only bow down to my God and my LORD and Savior simply because that's a form of idolatry.

It's disturbing to me that people are putting their country, political views, and even their own religion over God or at least putting them on the same level as God.

I bow after I light the incence, then I like to say a prayer for world peace, under the flag for justice and liberty for all. God bless Merica.

Old 04-21-2021, 12:12 PM

23,148 posts, read 10,445,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Duval View Post
Flags are of this world.
That right baby, the flag of the leader of the world, ye ha!

Merle Haggard, Fighting side of me.
https://youtu.be/uIxBmyRQlwQ

Old 04-24-2021, 07:39 PM

8,039 posts, read 1,842,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
They're going to hell.
Quote:
her flag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free4you View Post
Crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
There is no movement to cancel conservative Christians. No one is stopping you from carrying on your Christian life. You can pray, fast, read the bible, attend church, practice your religion as you see fit. However, you don't have a right to impose that practice on anyone else. Some Christians think it's their duty ( I know, I know, great commission and all that) to proselytize. That's when they run into problems. People don't want to hear it and when they don't allow it, Christians cry persecution. Christians bring persecution on themselves by foisting their beliefs on others.
The great comission is commanded in holy scripture.

Paul went so far as to say "Woe is me if I preach not the gospel"

Preaching is a major aspect of the righteousness that we are persecuted for.

Of course if we didn't behave like Christians, we wouldn't be persecuted for being Christians.

Old 04-24-2021, 07:44 PM

Quote:
You are absolutely right. Unfortunately some of my Christian brothers and sisters seem to think that when God told us to go out and evangelize the world that also meant that we were supposed to go out and moralize the world as well. The Bible has never told us to put our beliefs on a non-believer. We are commanded to go out tell the world about the death burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ and leave it at that. If the person rejects it, Then we should move on to the next person in agape love.

However as a Bible believing Christian if one of our fellow Christian who attends our church or another church gets involved in sin that's and only then when we are to come to them in Christian love to discuss the sin and correct their behavior.

Christians aren't supposed to go and correct the behavior of an unbeliever. The Bible never teaches that.
Of course, this is a Christian forum so any moralizing that I may do is directed towards Christians.

It is also directed towards unbelievers who are considering Christianity and what it might entail to live the Christian life.

Old 04-24-2021, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
What is evangelism but the belief that yours is the correct way and that you are to lead others to it? That's awfully presumptuous. I think it's safe to say there isn't a soul in this country who doesn't know what the bible is about by now.
You might be surprised. There are plenty of people who disagree on what the Bible actually teaches on certain subjects.

However, I believe that the apostles used great plainness of speech (2 Corinthians 3:12 (kjv)) and that no prophecy of scripture is of any private interpretation (2 Peter 1:20-21).

Also, there is one interpretation to every Proverb (Proverbs 1:6 (kjv)).

I believe that it is only the flesh that brings about heretical beliefs (Galatians 5:19-21) and that if you have the Holy Spirit, He will guide you into all truth (John 16:13).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity