Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2021, 01:21 PM

3,573 posts, read 1,178,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
It is very problematic to me. What is your theory on how evil/sin entered the world?

I often feel like God set us up for failure with this odd certain-to-fail scenario.

I mean, eating a piece of fruit? And that gets us to the Holocaust?

It would be like if we had an ant farm. A happy busy ant farm. One day you say, I'll just drop this scorpion or ant-lion in there and see how the ants handle it. And then we must call that LOVE. I don't get it.

WHY WHY WHY.
'original sin' also means that we lost memory of who we originally were - spiritual beings from God. Beings like God capable comprehending good and evil, we were placed in this world to choose good from the tree.
There are very few of us who choose evil, but the problem is that way too many of us who never bothered to learn to recognize good and evil except on very basic level of 10 commandments, so they can be easily deceived when there evil hides as good.
Master Builder Paul points to us, especially spiritually dead proponents of the traditional "original sin" :
12"For though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you again the basic principles of the oracles of God. You need milk, not solid food, 13for everyone who lives on milk is unskilled in the word of righteousness, since he is a child. 14But solid food is for the mature, for those who have their powers of discernment trained by constant practice to distinguish good from evil."
Was he saying it in vain? Many can not understand it and thusly just dismiss what the Master Builder says.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2021, 01:48 PM

Lord left us one commandment - Agape. Agape state is not attainable without clear understanding of good and evil and ultimately expressed in the Golden Rule, original sin is expressed by Cain : "am I my brother’s keeper?”

Old 07-06-2021, 03:20 PM

11,898 posts, read 3,707,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Duval View Post
correct,
there was a reason of human consciousness appearing in physical world, it is selfishness and it was to be cured through interactions in physical world.
For physical survival we need to be selfish though, both individually and societally and for the species survival we need reproduction

Just like this is so individually and naturally ..... it is also true at the “higher” intellectual, religious, political

The Scriptures are not solely about the individual, natural creation/cosmos- they are about the interaction of the intellectual, philosophical, theological which is about words, symbols that multiply both good and bad being connected to the physical and the 2 develop in connection with each other - the lower as an “image” of the higher

Old 07-06-2021, 03:23 PM

4,483 posts, read 1,323,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Duval View Post
Lord left us one commandment - Agape. Agape state is not attainable without clear understanding of good and evil and ultimately expressed in the Golden Rule, original sin is expressed by Cain : "am I my brother’s keeper?”
Seems to me Duval, your memory may be a little shaky! I remember there be two commandments that all the law and prophets hang on, and agape is not the first commandment.

Matt. 22:36-40

Master, which is the great commandment in the law?

Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

This is the first and great commandment.

And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets."

If you can't get the first commandment right, you can forget the second, ain't gonna happen.

I'm thinking there's a whole lot of talk about the second commandment and very little of the first commandment happening!

Old 07-06-2021, 04:00 PM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie24 View Post
Seems to me Duval, your memory may be a little shaky! I remember there be two commandments that all the law and prophets hang on, and agape is not the first commandment.

Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

If you can't get the first commandment right, you can forget the second, ain't gonna happen.

I'm thinking there's a whole lot of talk about the second commandment and very little of the first commandment happening!
All the love being referenced is agape love, Charlie. If you cannot love your neighbor who you can see, how can you love a God you do not see? The second commandment is evidence of the first, just as acting out of agape love is evidence of Faith in Christ.

Old 07-06-2021, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
All the love being referenced is agape love, Charlie. If you cannot love your neighbor who you can see, how can you love a God you do not see? The second commandment is evidence of the first, just as acting out of agape love is evidence of Faith in Christ.
The point is you can't love God with all your heart, soul and mind.

You can't love your neighbor as yourself.

If you could, Mystic, you wouldn't need Jesus! That is the point to keeping law of any kind.

You can't do it! That is where walking in the Spirit comes in that Paul preached out every where he went and they tried to kill him for it.

The first commandment is that walking in the Spirit by giving yourself to God through Christ.

Then the second commandment will begin to take place by His leading.

Trying t do it yourself is called self-righteousness in the scripture. You must give yourself to Christ and let Him do it, or you will never get there, you will not enter into the Kingdom of God.

Old 07-06-2021, 04:24 PM

11,102 posts, read 7,171,699 times
Jesus didn't talk or teach like this; that we're all scum and can't do a damn thing right. Therefore I'll reject it as outside of his teachings. Sure, if you look outside of the Gospels, there's tons of material in the bible (backwards and forwards) where you'll find writings that we're no good. And yet, God created us, and Jesus reminds us of our worth.

Old 07-06-2021, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Jesus didn't talk or teach like this; that we're all scum and can't do a damn thing right. Therefore I'll reject it as outside of his teachings. Sure, if you look outside of the Gospels, there's tons of material in the bible where you'll find writings that we're no good and loathsome. And yet, God created us, and Jesus reminds us of our worth. But some have a need to look at the worst in humanity and say, "that's all of us".
It's called entering into the New Covenant of Jesus Christ.

I see you have no desire to do that.

Old 07-06-2021, 04:29 PM

11,102 posts, read 7,171,699 times
Quote:
It's called entering into the New Covenant of Jesus Christ.

I see you have no desire to do that.
LOL I'm going strictly with Jesus' teachings. Not sure what you're following.

Old 07-06-2021, 04:34 PM

Quote:

Do not confuse Christ Jesus and Moses, but it is ok for a psychic, Jesus said one must exceed Law too enter the Kingdom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity