Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2021, 04:15 PM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie24 View Post
None of what you believe will help you in the least if you can't and don't admit to God you are a sinner in need of Grace. That you need forgiveness for your sins and acknowledge Christ as your Saviour through His sacrifice for you!
I do not need to believe that God is wrathful and vengeful and needed to be appeased by a horrendous scourging and crucifixion of a human being to be able to forgive human beings!!!! I would categorically reject any such God as monstrous and evil! Forgiveness does not require any such egregious conditions. Forgiveness is not forgiveness if it is bought. It is a bribe. Our primitive ancestors would not have made any such fine distinctions so they can be excused for believing a bribe could buy forgiveness. We have no such excuse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2021, 08:02 PM

1,757 posts, read 756,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
I've refrained from responding because it's off-topic for this thread, but since a second poster has chimed in, I just have to say the following:

The Church has always been Catholic from its inception at Pentecost when believers from all nations were gathered and the confusion of Babel was undone.

Of course Paul and Peter knew that the Church was καθολικός. There's really no debate here.
Using the same logic, could I argue that the Society of Friends didn't actually start with George Fox in 1652, but that Christianity was Quaker from its inception with the teachings of Jesus? After all, Fox said he was restoring the original church.

Old 08-25-2021, 07:28 AM

13,626 posts, read 7,954,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
Using the same logic, could I argue that the Society of Friends didn't actually start with George Fox in 1652, but that Christianity was Quaker from its inception with the teachings of Jesus? After all, Fox said he was restoring the original church.
Sure, you can make any argument you want.

The difference is that your argument would have no historical backing, while mine actually does.

Old 08-25-2021, 08:04 AM

45,585 posts, read 27,215,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
God set forth the standard Of the man having the final say on matters. This is how God set it up--- God is the head of Jesus, Jesus is the head of a man, a man is the head of the woman. But see--The Man must be doing Gods will. The Man would discuss with his wife on a matter. Think and pray on the matter And then the man has the final say. But a god fearing man knows God made the decision.( not on all matters) Humans err. Mortals no say on the matter of how it works. True followers live now to do Gods will to the best of their ability. Afterall, Jesus teaches-Those living now to do his Fathers will,( over their own) get to enter his kingdom( Matthew 7:21)--Jesus set the example-John 5:30)
The issue is definitely based on position, and not ability.

Nabal and Abigail (1 Samuel 25) are a perfect example of a worthless man with a high quality wife.

Old 08-25-2021, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post

Nabal and Abigail (1 Samuel 25) are a perfect example of a worthless man with a high quality wife.
St. Monica (the mother of St. Augustine) is another example. Her husband was a violent, abusive, and adulterous pagan.

Old 08-25-2021, 08:23 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,030,705 times
Quote:
Sure, you can make any argument you want.

The difference is that your argument would have no historical backing, while mine actually does.
Mike, I've got huge respect for you, and I do respect the position of the RCC on many issues, so I don't want this to sound like I'm bashing.

Even if you could make the case that Peter was the first Pope, and that the rest of Christianity followed him, that doesn't explain why the RCC does not follow Peter's and the rest of the apostles' teachings. There is no indication that much of what the RCC teaches today was believed by them. Is "the church" still "the church" if it abandons the faith and teaches something entirely different? Or is it made up believers that adhere to the teachings of the apostles and Scripture?

Old 08-25-2021, 08:24 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,030,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I do not need to believe that God is wrathful and vengeful and needed to be appeased by a horrendous scourging and crucifixion of a human being to be able to forgive human beings!!!! I would categorically reject any such God as monstrous and evil! Forgiveness does not require any such egregious conditions. Forgiveness is not forgiveness if it is bought. It is a bribe. Our primitive ancestors would not have made any such fine distinctions so they can be excused for believing a bribe could buy forgiveness. We have no such excuse.
Yes. We are well aware of the fact that you reject those parts of the Bible. That's what we've been saying. You believe those parts don't agree with the spirit that catfished you.

Old 08-25-2021, 08:28 AM

28,099 posts, read 29,986,691 times
Quote:
First off, you'd have to prove why the Bishop of Rome would have precedence over any other bishop. Then you'd have to show who ordained Linus and by what authority they did so. That would at least get us started. (Why don't you start a new thread so that this one doesn't get any more off-topic than it already is?)

Old 08-25-2021, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Even if you could make the case that Peter was the first Pope, and that the rest of Christianity followed him, that doesn't explain why the RCC does not follow Peter's and the rest of the apostles' teachings. There is no indication that much of what the RCC teaches today was believed by them. Is "the church" still "the church" if it abandons the faith and teaches something entirely different? Or is it made up believers that adhere to the teachings of the apostles and Scripture?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
First off, you'd have to prove why the Bishop of Rome would have precedence over any other bishop. Then you'd have to show who ordained Linus and by what authority they did so. That would at least get us started. (Why don't you start a new thread so that this one doesn't get any more off-topic than it already is?)
New thread started.

I've responded to both of these above posts over there.

Old 08-25-2021, 05:16 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,920,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post

The wife should always try to put Gods will first even if the husband doesn't and vica versa. It cannot always work like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity