Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2021, 06:27 AM

3,474 posts, read 1,008,549 times

Advertisements

The Bible states that 144,000 are redeemed from the earth. Why are these taken from the earth? God in His infinite wisdom has chosen from among mankind, exemplary Christians to serve as Kings and Priests in His Kingdom. Why choose them instead of angels? They can fully relate to our needs as humans, having lived as humans on earth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2021, 06:45 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,033,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highway54 View Post
The Bible states that 144,000 are redeemed from the earth. Why are these taken from the earth?
Read Revelation. You'll see. They are ethnic Jews.

Of course, there's also a great multitude, that can't be counted. They're also in Heaven.
Quote:

God in His infinite wisdom has chosen from among mankind, exemplary Christians to serve as Kings and Priests in His Kingdom. Why choose them instead of angels? They can fully relate to our needs as humans, having lived as humans on earth.
The Bible doesn't say that.

Old 08-28-2021, 07:39 AM

4,483 posts, read 1,324,301 times
Quote:
The Bible states that 144,000 are redeemed from the earth. Why are these taken from the earth? God in His infinite wisdom has chosen from among mankind, exemplary Christians to serve as Kings and Priests in His Kingdom. Why choose them instead of angels? They can fully relate to our needs as humans, having lived as humans on earth.
OH, those righteous and holy JW's! They exceed the righteousness of all men on this earth!

Old 08-28-2021, 08:30 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,843,144 times
The JW take on the Bible claim (?) that only 144K will be saved is unsupported by Scripture.

The 144K in Revelation are sealed as evangelists for those still on Earth during the Great Tribulation. Rev. 7:14 gives some evidence as to their effectiveness.

Old 08-28-2021, 05:07 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,310,855 times
This really minimizes thoughts of boundless grace. So much for 'whosoever believeth,' eh?

Old 08-28-2021, 05:58 PM

2,140 posts, read 362,676 times
Quote:
I thought that, in modern times, the belief that only this limited number will be allowed into Heaven is specie ic to Jehovah Witnesses. But I’m not sure.

It appears baptism is no longer a definitive requirement to be considered… but I’d guess some don’t agree with this. Purgatory doesn’t seem to be considered by - all?

Deathbed conversions - I thought their validity among many is considered valid.

I don’t know. I have not been baptized, and it was a primary reason for being bullied in school, but I was only derided as someone who has no name, so they called me “It.” That was hurtful.

144K is a very small number, it seems, if one considered how many folks have died who consider themselves Christians - and those who never have, but convert at the last minute.

I didn’t know that this 144K number as to how few are meant to reach heaven was widely accepted by all Christians. Religions are fascinating to me. I believe the clear majority of humans on earth are Muslim.

But back to the 144,000 - I can only find it as part of one group, JWs. I thought everyone who asked forgiveness, believed, converted, repented were allowed per modern tenets, but I don’t know. I would find that difficult for many, as very few who’ve did and will die would qualify.

Interesting question.

Old 08-28-2021, 08:03 PM

3,220 posts, read 926,819 times
“The heavens declare the glory of God and the firmament proclaim the works of His hand.”

Old 08-28-2021, 09:28 PM

3,573 posts, read 1,178,732 times
only Agape enters the kingdom.

Old 08-29-2021, 03:10 AM

9,691 posts, read 10,027,043 times
This 144,000 people from the tribes of Israel is actually an allegory number, and then from the tribe of Judah which Jesus came through all the adopted people who surrendered to Christ and got born again through the spirit of Christ which would be a multitude of people .... People who go to Heaven would out rank the Holy Angels of the Lord, which is never a proud rank … So If you don't see yourself here, then you need some more work and need to seek out the Lord on this .....

Old 08-29-2021, 05:30 AM

3,474 posts, read 1,008,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Read Revelation. You'll see. They are ethnic Jews.

Of course, there's also a great multitude, that can't be counted. They're also in Heaven.

The Bible doesn't say that.
That is true, do you believe they were chosen for a different reason B?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity