Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2021, 10:00 AM

9,899 posts, read 1,285,181 times

Advertisements

The seed is the word of God (Luke 8:11). When it was planted on Pentecost 33 AD, it produced Christians.

Do we have the same seed today as what was planted in New Testament times? Yes, we have the Bible
(1 Peter 1:22-25).

Do we have the same soil? Yes, human hearts are still waiting to be taught (Matthew 13:19-23).

When the same seed is planted in sincere hearts today, it grows the same thing that it did then, Christians (Acts 2:22-47, 11:26; 1 Peter 4:16.).

Christians are the body of Christ, His church.

If there had never been a church in a particular geographical area, the church Jesus built would sprout up there when people heard, understood and obeyed the gospel of Christ.

If a church today believes the Bible is the standard of Christianity, and it is understood, believed an obeyed, then that church is the church Jesus built.

If a church has the same plan of salvation, organization, worship, love, zeal, and moral teachings as the church Jesus built, then it is a true church.

Christendom is filled with denominations and the doctrines of men. It’s time to get back to the church Jesus built.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2021, 10:20 AM

13,679 posts, read 7,988,457 times
The Church Jesus built is today, as from the earliest times, known as the Catholic Church.

"See that you all follow the bishop, even as Jesus Christ does the Father, and the presbytery as you would the apostles; and reverence the deacons, as being the institution of God. Let no man do anything connected with the Church without the bishop. Let that be deemed a proper Eucharist, which is [administered] either by the bishop, or by one to whom he has entrusted it. Wherever the bishop shall appear, there let the multitude [of the people] also be; even as, wherever Jesus Christ is, there is the Catholic Church." ~ The Epistle of Ignatius to the Smyrnaeans, circa 110 AD

Old 10-27-2021, 10:34 AM

28,106 posts, read 30,014,156 times
IMO, there is, and it's The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I could explain why I believe this to be the case, but it's something I think you'd have to find our for yourself. That said, I believe that any time God entrusts human beings to do His work, there is a very significant likelihood that they're going to mess up from time to time, even with His guidance.

Old 10-27-2021, 10:43 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,049,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKate12 View Post
The seed is the word of God (Luke 8:11). When it was planted on Pentecost 33 AD, it produced Christians.

Do we have the same seed today as what was planted in New Testament times? Yes, we have the Bible
(1 Peter 1:22-25).

Do we have the same soil? Yes, human hearts are still waiting to be taught (Matthew 13:19-23).

When the same seed is planted in sincere hearts today, it grows the same thing that it did then, Christians (Acts 2:22-47, 11:26; 1 Peter 4:16.).

Christians are the body of Christ, His church.

If there had never been a church in a particular geographical area, the church Jesus built would sprout up there when people heard, understood and obeyed the gospel of Christ.

If a church today believes the Bible is the standard of Christianity, and it is understood, believed an obeyed, then that church is the church Jesus built.

If a church has the same plan of salvation, organization, worship, love, zeal, and moral teachings as the church Jesus built, then it is a true church.

Christendom is filled with denominations and the doctrines of men. It’s time to get back to the church Jesus built.
Yes. It's made up of believers across all denominations. It is not a particular denomination. No denomination is "The true Church" any more than any one synagogue was "The true synagogue" in 30 AD.

Old 10-27-2021, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
The Church Jesus built is today, as from the earliest times, known as the Catholic Church.

"See that you all follow the bishop, even as Jesus Christ does the Father, and the presbytery as you would the apostles; and reverence the deacons, as being the institution of God. Let no man do anything connected with the Church without the bishop. Let that be deemed a proper Eucharist, which is [administered] either by the bishop, or by one to whom he has entrusted it. Wherever the bishop shall appear, there let the multitude [of the people] also be; even as, wherever Jesus Christ is, there is the Catholic Church." ~ The Epistle of Ignatius to the Smyrnaeans, circa 110 AD
Roman Catholicism is just another denomination. It did not exist in the first century. Ignatius used the term Catholic to denote that Jesus’ church was universal in nature. His church was never named Catholic nor Roman Catholic.

Old 10-27-2021, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
IMO, there is, and it's The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I could explain why I believe this to be the case, but it's something I think you'd have to find our for yourself. That said, I believe that any time God entrusts human beings to do His work, there is a very significant likelihood that they're going to mess up from time to time, even with His guidance.
I would fully expect you to say that as you are Mormon. With all due respect, I disagree with you for the simple reason that the Book of Mormon goes beyond the word of God. I know you are a very sincere person, and you believe it is God breathed. I do not.

Old 10-27-2021, 10:58 AM

Quote:
I would fully expect you to say that as you are Mormon. With all due respect, I disagree with you for the simple reason that the Book of Mormon goes beyond the word of God. I know you are a very sincere person, and you believe it is God breathed. I do not.
Fair enough. I'm assuming that you've actually read it, and haven't just come to the conclusion that it's "not God-breathed because it's not the Bible." A couple of things I'm curious about... Why do you believe that everything God wants us to know is in the Bible? Where in the Bible does it say this? And why would God have communicated with only with the people in one small geographical area and left everyone else in the world in the dark for so many years? Just something to think about.

Last edited by Katzpur; 10-27-2021 at 11:08 AM..

Old 10-27-2021, 10:58 AM

13,679 posts, read 7,988,457 times
Quote:
Roman Catholicism is just another denomination. It did not exist in the first century. Ignatius used the term Catholic to denote that Jesus’ church was universal in nature. His church was never named Catholic nor Roman Catholic.
That is the Protestant view. Suffice it to say, my investigations into this topic have led me to differing conclusions.

Old 10-27-2021, 11:42 AM

7,530 posts, read 3,038,813 times
The Church of the Lord of glory is not of mortar, bricks or stone, but a living organism of His Life flowing within it. It is called the mystery of the fellowship.

He that has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit is saying unto the churches. To him that overcomes will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God.

Old 10-27-2021, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose2Luv View Post
The Church of the Lord of glory is not of mortar, bricks or stone, but a living organism of His Life flowing within it. It is called the mystery of the fellowship.

He that has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit is saying unto the churches. To him that overcomes will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God.
You are speaking of "the invisible church" which I also believe exists. There is also "the institutional church." My hunch is that the OP was referring to the institutional church in her OP, although I may have misinterpreted her question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity