Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2021, 01:37 PM

9,895 posts, read 1,278,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
Jesus also said he came to cause division

It all depends on the timing and purpose
What does your comment have to do with what I wrote. Sorry, but I’m not making a connection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2021, 01:45 PM

11,898 posts, read 3,709,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKate12 View Post
What does your comment have to do with what I wrote. Sorry, but I’m not making a connection.
It’s about perspective, you have a very individual/self perspective, which is ok for you

But what I see are lots of others perspectives and that is what division is about

The Scriptures are multi-levelled, multi-layered and we all see different things within them depending on natural diversity

The denominations were started with the same concept that you have about “separation” and being a “true believer” and going back to the Scriptures

What I see is this has caused a lot of problems and is related to the “us” “them” mentality, but it is also related to the Romans passage of the creation/creature being subjected purposefully to futility, corruption, death ...... and not of its own will - Romans 8

Last edited by Meerkat2; 11-01-2021 at 02:08 PM..

Old 11-01-2021, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
The false teachings coming out of particular churches or denominations isn't the issue at hand. Everyone without exception who has received Jesus as Savior during this dispensation of the church is church . . . is a part of the body of Christ regardless of any doctrinal errs being taught by their denomination or local independent church.

A believer may or may not accept as true the doctrine of the Trinity for instance. Either way he is still an eternally saved believer if he has believed that Jesus died for his sins. The Trinity is true by the way.
That doesn’t add up with “few there be that find it.”

Jude wrote that we must contend for the faith (Jude 1:3). Which faith should we contend for? Baptists? Catholics? JW’s? Lutherans? Each has a different faith.

We read of one saved church in the NT, not many. Paul pleaded with the Corinthian congregation in the name of our Lord that there be no divisions among them, that they be perfectly joined together in the same mind and judgement (1 Cor. 1:10).

Denominations were started by men, not by Christ, and they exist because each group teaches some peculiar doctrine, a doctrine of men.

Denominations are not the church Jesus built that you read about in the New Testament. One cannot "join the church of his choice" and be saved. The Lord adds to HIS church. One church is not as good as another. as you’ve suggested.

Old 11-01-2021, 02:16 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,986,691 times
Quote:
Denominations were started by men, not by Christ, and they exist because each group teaches some peculiar doctrine, a doctrine of men.

Denominations are not the church Jesus built that you read about in the New Testament. One cannot "join the church of his choice" and be saved. The Lord adds to HIS church. One church is not as good as another. as you’ve suggested.
So, if one church is not as good as another, and if denominations were started by men, which church is Jesus' Church? It is only non-denominational Christians who've got it right?

Old 11-01-2021, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
So, if one church is not as good as another, and if denominations were started by men, which church is Jesus' Church? It is only non-denominational Christians who've got it right?
Or maybe only those labelled a church of Christ?

Old 11-01-2021, 02:24 PM

Quote:
It’s about perspective, you have a very individual/self perspective, which is ok for you

But what I see are lots of others perspectives and that is what division is about

The Scriptures are multi-levelled, multi-layered and we all see different things within them depending on natural diversity

The denominations were started with the same concept that you have about “separation” and being a “true believer” and going back to the Scriptures

What I see is this has caused a lot of problems and is related to the “us” “them” mentality, but it is also related to the Romans passage of the creation/creature being subjected purposefully to futility, corruption, death ...... and not of its own will - Romans 8
The problem with seeing all different perspectives is exactly the same as being blown by every wind of doctrine, and never committing to a single body. The Scriptures were never meant to cause division. They were meant to unite us.

Paul wrote, “Now I plead with you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.

Where was the same mind and judgement to come from if not God’s word? God did not leave us hanging out to dry, trying on our own to figure out what He wants from us. As the Psalmist wrote, “Your word is a lamp to my feet And a light to my path.” (Psalm 119:105)

At the risk of being offensive, I think you are relying too much on your own wisdom and not enough on the wonderful gift of His word. You are a very intelligent person, but what did God say about the wisdom of the world? “ Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world?” It’s quite possible your perspective may be leading you down the wrong path.

Old 11-01-2021, 02:31 PM

Quote:
The problem with seeing all different perspectives is exactly the same as being blown by every wind of doctrine, and never committing to a single body. The Scriptures were never meant to cause division. They were meant to unite us.

Paul wrote, “Now I plead with you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.

Where was the same mind and judgement to come from if not God’s word? God did not leave us hanging out to dry, trying on our own to figure out what He wants from us. As the Psalmist wrote, “Your word is a lamp to my feet And a light to my path.” (Psalm 119:105)

At the risk of being offensive, I think you are relying too much on your own wisdom and not enough on the wonderful gift of His word. You are a very intelligent person, but what did God say about the wisdom of the world? “ Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world?” It’s quite possible your perspective may be leading you down the wrong path.
Judge not is my motto

I’m not offended at all

I am not actually relying on my own personal wisdom, I am committed to understanding the Scriptures, but for me what that entails is listening to what others perceive and not judging them but going away and researching why they believe it and how it relates to the Scriptures

I keep a very personal, individual faith and all other things are added on to that as I am able to accept and receive it

Last edited by Meerkat2; 11-01-2021 at 02:43 PM..

Old 11-01-2021, 03:07 PM

3,573 posts, read 1,178,732 times
Quote:
Judge not is my motto

I’m not offended at all

I am not actually relying on my own personal wisdom, I am committed to understanding the Scriptures, but for me what that entails is listening to what others perceive and not judging them but going away and researching why they believe it and how it relates to the Scriptures

I keep a very personal, individual faith and all other things are added on to that as I am able to accept and receive it
we must Krino (2919) what is good and what is evil...we must not condemn .

Old 11-01-2021, 03:24 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,932,054 times
Jesus came to provide the Holy Spirit to teach God's will.
When you understand this fully, you will have gotten what Jesus was talking about.
Jesus did no writing, nor was any writing done for many years after Jesus left, because it is the Holy Spirit's job to teach those under Jesus' Lordship.
Men organized scriptures, but the fact of the matter is Isreal had scriptures but men manipulate them to their own satisfaction.
The Holy Spirit however teaches God's perspective, not the consensus of men's opinion.
Jesus said, "Bless are they that do hunger and thirst after righteousness for they shall be filled."
God's perspective of righteousness IS a personal relationship of seeking God's will regularly and acting on His instruction.
Jesus used exaggeration in some cases to make a point, on forgiveness He said 7 times seventy, but men instead of seeing from God's perspective keep a tally on those that offend them. Men don't trust God they need liturgy to manipulate. this is why some men will never know God because He will not be manipulated.
Jesus said, Matthew 7;21,22,23, "Not everyone that says to me Lord, Lord, will enter the kingdom of heaven....."
Because someone can wield the name of Jesus on earth successfully, doesn't prove a relationship.
Jesus made it clear that every word we speak even idle conversation we will be giving account for.
Revelation, He made it clear false teachers have no place in heaven.
This is why I direct folks to seek after God,s tutelage via the Holy Spirit Jesus provided.
The Holy Spirit has the power to open one's eyes to their problem, but if the problem is ignored He will not override.
This behavior of rebellion unchecked insulates the Hoy Spirit from further intervention. whether the person is a Christian or not.
Oft times even Christians are not taught to yield to God by their teachers, because the teacher is only following what their teacher taught. It is up to the individual to personally seek desperately after God.

Old 11-01-2021, 04:20 PM

33,266 posts, read 26,477,412 times
Quote:
That doesn’t add up with “few there be that find it.”

Jude wrote that we must contend for the faith (Jude 1:3). Which faith should we contend for? Baptists? Catholics? JW’s? Lutherans? Each has a different faith.

We read of one saved church in the NT, not many. Paul pleaded with the Corinthian congregation in the name of our Lord that there be no divisions among them, that they be perfectly joined together in the same mind and judgement (1 Cor. 1:10).

You don't really understand what you're talking about.

The one church that Jesus built consists of all believers during the church-age regardless of what denomination or local independent gathering of the church they belong to, or whether or not they belong to any local gathering of the church.

All believers who belong to some particular local church gathering of whatever Christian denomination belong to the one church which is the body of Christ.

The presence of doctrinal err doesn't alter that. On the other hand, a person might belong to some local church but has not been saved because he never received Christ as Savior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity