Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2021, 05:50 AM

9,895 posts, read 1,278,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Absolutely. To some degree.
But they teach false as well. Jesus made clear His thoughts about the doctrines of men (Matthew 15:9). Their worship is in vain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2021, 05:53 AM

Quote:
That's fine, if that's what you're really doing. It's just that sometimes people dismiss things without really knowing anything about them, and based upon rumors they've heard and things they've read from inaccurate sources.

Also, I don't know how much you know about the development of the biblical canon over the centuries, but the books comprising the canon have changed quite significantly over time. In other words, what was considered "God-breathed" in the second century is not the same as what was considered "God-breathed" in the sixth century. Apparently, the Bible went from being "God-breathed" to "not God-breathed" and back again quite a few times. And what about about Paul's epistles? Why, for instance, was his epistle to the Laodiceans considered less authoritative than his other epistles? Or was it? Maybe it had just been lost prior to when the first canon was compiled. It's mentioned in Colossians 4:16, for instance. Obviously, it was considered authoritative at the time it was written. Paul also wrote an additional epistle to the Ephesians and another to the Corinthians. When did his "apostolic authorship" come into question? Jude, too, wrote another epistle. Why would it have be considered so unreliable as to have been intentionally omitted from the today's canon? And that's just one problem with sola scriptura.

I don't see either of these passages as teaching that everything God has ever said, or done, or wants us to know is found in the Bible. If that were the case, the situation I just described in my previous paragraph would not exist.

Actually, I don't need to ask Him because I don't believe that He did. You're the one who is convinced that that's the case, and it just doesn't seem very logical to me that He would have simply ignored the millions of people outside of the Holy Land.

It kind of looks like you're trying to back me up against a wall, Kate, and that's not really necessary. Joseph Smith did teach the doctrine of deification, just as the highly-regarded Anglican theologian, C.S. Lewis did not so many years ago, and as Irenaeus, Saint Clement, Saint Justin Martyr, Athanasius and Augustine did anciently.

As to their being many Gods, Joseph taught almost exactly what Paul did in 1 Corinthians 8:5-6: For though there be that are called gods, whether in heaven or in earth, (as there be gods many, and lords many,) But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.

I'm sorry if you have been led to believe that we worship more than one God, because that is definitely not the case.
Katzpur, we need to take this discussion to another thread. I don’t want to spend time on it here because it’s not what my OP is about. I hope you understand.

Old 10-28-2021, 05:58 AM

Quote:
I don't think that's going to be necessary. All I've done so far is respond to the OP, and my posts responding to the OP belong in this thread as much as anybody else's. As to posts that resort to denominational bashing, I'm sure the mods will be able to deal with them and keep the thread on track.
Your posts have been great, but Meerkat is right. This thread isn’t about Mormonism. It was my mistake to challenge your faith in my first post to you. For that I apologize. I would love to talk more about your beliefs with you, but not in this thread. I hope you understand.

Old 10-28-2021, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
The only denominations - there are only two.

1 John 5:12 - He who has the Son has the life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have the life.
Jesus made clear his thought on the doctrines of me He said their worship is vain. Do you believe Him?

Old 10-28-2021, 06:06 AM

3,573 posts, read 1,178,732 times
church must be built on spiritual base by people who called 'spiritual' in 1 Cor 2. Because they carry necessary spiritual experience similar to Paul's.

Old 10-28-2021, 06:08 AM

3,573 posts, read 1,178,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKate12 View Post
Jesus made clear his thought on the doctrines of me He said their worship is vain. Do you believe Him?
who judges those doctrines?

Old 10-28-2021, 07:40 AM

13,626 posts, read 7,954,764 times
Quote:
Our authority comes from the written word of God.
Quote:
We need to get back to God’s word!
Whose interpretation of it?

Old 10-28-2021, 07:55 AM

28,099 posts, read 29,986,691 times
Quote:
Thank you for raising these points Katzpur. I have heard these term before. Could you please post the Scriptures, which speak of “the invisible church” or “the institutional church?”
Actually, the first time I ever heard these terms was here on City-Data. I'm sure that your OP refers to the institutional Church, the Church Jesus Christ established. The invisible Church refers to all of Jesus' followers throughout the earth. Neither term is found in the Scriptures.

Quote:
My OP speaks of the church Jesus built. There is only one. Can we agree on that point?
Yes, we can.

Old 10-28-2021, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Duval View Post
who judges those doctrines?
Any doctrine not found in Scripture is the teaching of men. Like the noble Bereans, we must study the Scriptures to learn whether what we are taught is true.

Old 10-28-2021, 10:52 AM

13,626 posts, read 7,954,764 times
Quote:
Any doctrine not found in Scripture is the teaching of men. Like the noble Bereans, we must study the Scriptures to learn whether what we are taught is true.
Where's the doctrine defining or listing which books ought to be considered "Scripture"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity