Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2021, 04:41 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,376,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKate12 View Post
That doesn’t add up with “few there be that find it.”

Jude wrote that we must contend for the faith (Jude 1:3). Which faith should we contend for? Baptists? Catholics? JW’s? Lutherans? Each has a different faith.

We read of one saved church in the NT, not many. Paul pleaded with the Corinthian congregation in the name of our Lord that there be no divisions among them, that they be perfectly joined together in the same mind and judgement (1 Cor. 1:10).

Denominations were started by men, not by Christ, and they exist because each group teaches some peculiar doctrine, a doctrine of men.

Denominations are not the church Jesus built that you read about in the New Testament. One cannot "join the church of his choice" and be saved. The Lord adds to HIS church. One church is not as good as another. as you’ve suggested.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
So, if one church is not as good as another, and if denominations were started by men, which church is Jesus' Church? Is it only non-denominational Christians who've got it right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
Or maybe only those labelled a church of Christ?
They cannot all be right. However, they can all be wrong to one extent or another, while having some truth. Especially, within a religion that is syncretistic in nature; having a hodgepodge of various beliefs from a variety of cultures (mixed and blended within it), which have been adopted into Christianism through that of an extreme religious or fundamentalist mindset.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2021, 04:52 PM

20,443 posts, read 12,801,153 times
The church is alive and well in my community. Many are being saved and baptized and much charity is being done in the name of Jesus Christ.

Old 11-01-2021, 04:57 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,376,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
The church is alive and well in my community. Many are being saved and baptized and much charity is being done in the name of Jesus Christ.
Nothing wrong with that, however, it doesn't mean that it is without error.

Old 11-01-2021, 05:22 PM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Nothing wrong with that, however, it doesn't mean that it is without error.
None are without error, Jer, but all who follow Jesus Christ as our Savior are of His church (ecclesia). The point is, however, that what church they identify with has nothing to do with their salvation because that is ALL Jesus and it is finished.

Old 11-02-2021, 05:58 AM

9,895 posts, read 1,278,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Praise God!

Old 11-02-2021, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
So, if one church is not as good as another, and if denominations were started by men, which church is Jesus' Church? It is only non-denominational Christians who've got it right?
No. Many non denominational churches are really no different than denominational churches. Jesus built only one church, not many. You can read about the church Jesus built in the New Testament.

Old 11-02-2021, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
Or maybe only those labelled a church of Christ?
I don’t believe a label makes a church. I know many churches of Christ who are no longer practicing New Testament Christianity. I also know of house churches who bear no label at all, but follow the pattern found in the NT. It’s what goes on within individual groups that matters. If their works and worship are lined up with what is taught in the NT, then they are the church Jesus built.

I’m glad you posted what you did. It helps me to make the point I tried making with my OP. Jesus built only one church, not many. If a group of believers do their very best to follow the examples we have been given in the NT, then is there any reason they can’t be the church Jesus built? How can a church be the one Jesus built when they are teaching the doctrines of men?

Last edited by MissKate12; 11-02-2021 at 06:17 AM..

Old 11-02-2021, 06:56 AM

3,474 posts, read 1,008,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Nobody is persecuting you or your organization. You, and your organization are condoning criminal behavior. You said as much in your first paragraph. "if the dedicated witness is unrepentant, they will be disfellowshipped as Jehovah requires sir. If they are found repentant, of course they will be allowed to remain among us" You said nothing about calling the police, which is the only appropriate action to take. Paraphrasing, you just said if the child abuser is sorry, he can stay in the church and you will say nothing (but you'll probably keep an eye on him).

Spreading lies about Jehovah and His people is certainly persecution sir.

Old 11-02-2021, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Jesus didn't return within the generation of those he was talking to, did he? That's the reality.

Nor did he imply that sir, you simply misunderstand the prophecy as I stated, or you do understand it and we simply cannot put trust in God. Time will tell at any rate.

Old 11-02-2021, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKate12 View Post
I agree with you that is is vital to know God and obey the laws of Christ regardless of the time frame. Our salvation is dependent upon it.

There is no proof that we are at the end of times. It is purely speculation. Wars, famines, pestilences, earthquakes have been occurring since Jesus walked the earth. In Matthew 24, Jesus was prophesying the destruction of Jerusalem and the end of the Jewish system. These were the signs Jesus said were what His disciples at that time were to look for.

Jesus spoke of the abomination of desolation prophesied by Daniel (Matthew 24:15-22; Daniel 9:27), a prophesy about Rome besieging Jerusalem as Luke’s account of this conversation shows (Luke 21:20).

In both Matthew 24 and Luke 21, Jesus says, “Then they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory.” Have you studied the meaning of “the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power? I have, and I was quite surprised that it is speaking of judgement, particularly the judgement against Jerusalem. The phrase is not necessarily referring to the second coming of Christ. I researched each time the phrase was used throughout the Scriptures, and my conclusion was that it’s about judgement.

Starting in verse 35, He then answered His disciples’ second question about the sign of His coming and the end of the world. He promised that “heaven and earth will pass away,” but note that He specifically warned that no one would know when that day would be (Matthew 24:35-39). There would be no warnings signs as there was for the temple’s destruction, which is why He warned Christians to always be prepared (Matthew 24: 40-51; 25:1-30).

Prepared Christians will “be taken,” rising in the air to meet the Lord (1 Thessalonians 4:13-18)

The unprepared will be left behind as this world and universe burn up (2 Peter 3:10-13).

Then all will be judged, with the righteous being ushered into eternal life while the condemned being cast into the Lake of Fire. ( Matthew 25:31-46; Revelation 20:11-15).

If you are interested: https://www.jw.org/en/library/magazi...about-the-end/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity