Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2021, 03:08 PM

9,895 posts, read 1,278,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Fair enough. I'm assuming that you've actually read it, and haven't just come to the conclusion that it's "not God-breathed because it's not the Bible." A couple of things I'm curious about... Why do you believe that everything God wants us to know is in the Bible? Where in the Bible does it say this? And why would God have communicated with only with the people in one small geographical area and left everyone else in the world in the dark for so many years? Just something to think about.
I’ll let the Holy Spirit answer your question about why I believe everything God wants me to know is found in His word.

“…His divine power has given to us all things that pertain to life and godliness…” (2 Peter 1:3)

“ 16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, 17that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.” (2 Timothy 3:16-17)

As for your question about why God communicated with only certain people, you’d have to ask Him.

No I have not read the Book of Mormon, the Doctrine and Covenants or Pearl of Great Price. But perhaps you can enlighten me. Did Joseph Smith teach that God was once a man like us? Did he teach that there is more than one God? I ask because those teachings are not found in the Scriptures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2021, 03:27 PM

11,898 posts, read 3,709,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKate12 View Post
<snip>

No I have not read the Book of Mormon, the Doctrine and Covenants or Pearl of Great Price. But perhaps you can enlighten me. Did Joseph Smith teach that God was once a man like us? Did he teach that there is more than one God? I ask because those teachings are not found in the Scriptures.
Moderator cut: Quoted post removed.

There is already a thread on LDS church, maybe in depth conversation is best taken there
https://www.city-data.com/forum/chri...christ-17.html

(Just trying to help as I sense a derail into the pros and cons of LDS about to happen)

Last edited by mensaguy; 10-27-2021 at 07:59 PM..

Old 10-27-2021, 03:54 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,986,691 times
Quote:
I’ll let the Holy Spirit answer your question about why I believe everything God wants me to know is found in His word.
That's fine, if that's what you're really doing. It's just that sometimes people dismiss things without really knowing anything about them, and based upon rumors they've heard and things they've read from inaccurate sources.

Also, I don't know how much you know about the development of the biblical canon over the centuries, but the books comprising the canon have changed quite significantly over time. In other words, what was considered "God-breathed" in the second century is not the same as what was considered "God-breathed" in the sixth century. Apparently, the Bible went from being "God-breathed" to "not God-breathed" and back again quite a few times. And what about about Paul's epistles? Why, for instance, was his epistle to the Laodiceans considered less authoritative than his other epistles? Or was it? Maybe it had just been lost prior to when the first canon was compiled. It's mentioned in Colossians 4:16, for instance. Obviously, it was considered authoritative at the time it was written. Paul also wrote an additional epistle to the Ephesians and another to the Corinthians. When did his "apostolic authorship" come into question? Jude, too, wrote another epistle. Why would it have be considered so unreliable as to have been intentionally omitted from the today's canon? And that's just one problem with sola scriptura.

Quote:
“…His divine power has given to us all things that pertain to life and godliness…” (2 Peter 1:3)

“ 16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, 17that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.” (2 Timothy 3:16-17)
I don't see either of these passages as teaching that everything God has ever said, or done, or wants us to know is found in the Bible. If that were the case, the situation I just described in my previous paragraph would not exist.

Quote:
As for your question about why God communicated with only certain people, you’d have to ask Him.
Actually, I don't need to ask Him because I don't believe that He did. You're the one who is convinced that that's the case, and it just doesn't seem very logical to me that He would have simply ignored the millions of people outside of the Holy Land.

Quote:
It kind of looks like you're trying to back me up against a wall, Kate, and that's not really necessary. Joseph Smith did teach the doctrine of deification, just as the highly-regarded Anglican theologian, C.S. Lewis did not so many years ago, and as Irenaeus, Saint Clement, Saint Justin Martyr, Athanasius and Augustine did anciently.

As to their being many Gods, Joseph taught almost exactly what Paul did in 1 Corinthians 8:5-6: For though there be that are called gods, whether in heaven or in earth, (as there be gods many, and lords many,) But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.

I'm sorry if you have been led to believe that we worship more than one God, because that is definitely not the case.

Last edited by Katzpur; 10-27-2021 at 04:33 PM..

Old 10-27-2021, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
There is already a thread on LDS church, maybe in depth conversation is best taken there

(Just trying to help as I sense a derail into the pros and cons of LDS about to happen)
I don't think that's going to be necessary. All I've done so far is respond to the OP, and my posts responding to the OP belong in this thread as much as anybody else's. As to posts that resort to denominational bashing, I'm sure the mods will be able to deal with them and keep the thread on track.

Old 10-27-2021, 04:05 PM

9,895 posts, read 1,278,374 times
Quote:

You make a good point. Thanks Meerkat. Time to get it back on track.

Old 10-27-2021, 04:10 PM

Quote:
You make a good point. Thanks Meerkat. Time to get it back on track.
Who took it off track? I don't think anybody did, katie my girl.

Last edited by Katzpur; 10-27-2021 at 04:20 PM..

Old 10-27-2021, 04:22 PM

11,898 posts, read 3,709,906 times
I was just thinking ahead……. Just ignore me

Old 10-27-2021, 04:25 PM

Quote:
I was just thinking ahead……. Just ignore me
I would never ignore you, Meerkat. You're one of my favorite people on the forum.

Old 10-27-2021, 04:38 PM

9,691 posts, read 10,027,043 times
God has His children, as who ever will repent and surrender to Jesus Christ will be blessed with Christ ....... So then there are many Church governments which proclaim Jesus Christ and are obedient to the commands of Christ and are led by Jesus Christ ...... Then there are some churches which are built by the doctrines of man ..... God said there is No power of Christ for churches who don't preach the gospel and have no evidence of Holy Spirit......... So If people believe that none of the churches Know God than these people need to get save to Jesus instead of entertaining antichrist spirit of division

Old 10-27-2021, 04:43 PM

45,585 posts, read 27,215,643 times
The only denominations - there are only two.

1 John 5:12 - He who has the Son has the life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have the life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity