Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2021, 04:27 PM

33,266 posts, read 26,477,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
If, you want to believe in those things, that's up to you.
Although, I believe it is you that is in denial?

We have come a long way, but evidently not far enough.
And just what is it that I am supposedly in denial about according to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2021, 04:35 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,376,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
And just what is it that I am supposedly in denial about according to you?
For starters, that other things were the cause and effect, not that of being demon possessed.
Again, if you want to believe in literal demons, the devil and Satan, then that is up to you.

Old 11-03-2021, 04:44 PM

Quote:
For starters, that other things were the cause and effect, not that of being demon possessed.
Again, if you want to believe in literal demons, the devil and Satan, then that is up to you.
As I've already stated, Jesus is recorded as having had conversations with the demons. Those demons knew the true identity of Jesus. They also asked if Jesus intended to destroy them at that time. This is not a picture of a person with mental health problems. The accounts are of Jesus' interaction with demons who indwelt people.

Old 11-03-2021, 07:06 PM

Quote:
As I've already stated, Jesus is recorded as having had conversations with the demons. Those demons knew the true identity of Jesus. They also asked if Jesus intended to destroy them at that time. This is not a picture of a person with mental health problems. The accounts are of Jesus' interaction with demons who indwelt people.
Demons are non-existent, but that doesn't mean - they didn't believe in them.

Last edited by Jerwade; 11-03-2021 at 07:16 PM..

Old 11-03-2021, 07:22 PM

Quote:
All you ever do is make unsupported assertions. You can no more prove that demons don't exist than an atheist can prove that God doesn't exist. You're like a five year old who goes 'nuh uh' to something he doesn't want to believe.

It's pointless to even bother replying to your denials. It always ends with you pretending to give someone permission to believe what they believe and then saying 'but don't tell me what to believe.'

Old 11-03-2021, 08:42 PM

Quote:
All you ever do is make unsupported assertions. You can no more prove that demons don't exist than an atheist can prove that God doesn't exist. You're like a five year old who goes 'nuh uh' to something he doesn't want to believe.

It's pointless to even bother replying to your denials. It always ends with you pretending to give someone permission to believe what they believe and then saying 'but don't tell me what to believe.'
And, you can prove that they do? Whatever, you say, Michael.

The arrogance of man and his particular religious beliefs is perplexing.
Yet, this planet and humanity itself are not the center of the universe.

Old 11-04-2021, 04:52 AM

9,895 posts, read 1,277,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
How do you get that? When did we enter this period?
Jesus dealt Satan a major blow when He arose from the dead. He bound the strong man. (Matthew 12:29, Mark 3:27)

Old 11-04-2021, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I understand your reasoning. You are a Bible literalist. The writers of the New Testament had no idea what mental illness was and assumed the mentally ill were possessed. They could only write what they witnessed, based on their own knowledge. We can hardly have expected them to do otherwise.

Are you saying Christ has returned to earth and we are now in the midst of the prophesied Millennium? How is it that we all failed to recognize the Second Coming when you were able to do so?
Call me any name you want. I believe what the Scriptures say, and Jesus repeatedly calls them demons. You deny what the Son of God says and prefer to rely on your own human wisdom.

How does mental illness explain the following? Were the swine and the herdsmen mentally ill, too?

Matthew 8:30 Now there was a herd of many swine feeding at a distance from them. 31 The demons began to entreat Him, saying, “If You are going to cast us out, send us into the herd of swine.” 32 And He said to them, “Go!” And they came out and went into the swine, and the whole herd rushed down the steep bank into the sea and perished in the waters. 33 The herdsmen ran away, and went to the city and reported everything, including what had happened to the demoniacs.

No, Christ did not return to earth. He didn’t need to. He was given ALL authority in heaven and on earth when He ascended into heaven. He is King! He told His disciples that the kingdom would come with power (Mark 9:1) and to wait in Jerusalem until they were clothed with power from on high (Luke 24:49). He established His kingdom on the day of Pentecost. The Apostles were filled with power on that day (Acts 2:1-4). Peter, having the keys to the kingdom, preached the first gospel sermon. Those who accepted his message were baptized, and the Lord added them to His church, which is His kingdom.

His kingdom is spiritual in nature as is His church. You fail to recognize this because you deny the Scriptures. The kingdom is here. Those who are in Christ are in His Kingdom. (Col. 1:13, Rev. 1:9, Hebrews 12:28). Christian are in the kingdom.

Old 11-04-2021, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Uh...if he is still doing battle with the people of God on the earth, then he has not yet been defeated. He will be bound when Christ returns. But then, you believe that He already has returned, so I guess that's why you figure he's been defeated. I guess I just don't understand why he's still temping us to rebel against God if he's been defeated. By the way, could you please tell me when you believe Christ returned to the Earth?
No Jesus hasn’t returned. Read my other post.

Yes, Satan still has power, but not the power he had when Jesus walked the earth. He is limited. Yes he can tempt, but he has no power to control people. Demon possession had its purpose. It was to show Jesus’ power over the spiritual world. It was to prove He was indeed the Son of God. The same can be said of His power over nature, sickness and death.

You are reading Revelation as though it speaks of the future. It is about the past. It was written to give comfort and courage to the Christians of the first century who were suffering terrible persecution from both the Jews and Romans. Jesus promised that if they would remain faithful, they would receive the crown of life (Rev. 2:10). We are told in the opening verses that God gave Jesus these things, “ to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John: (Rev. 1:1). Shortly come to pass doesn’t mean 2000 + years into the future. Think about it.

May I suggest you try reading/studying the book from a historical perspective, rather than a future one? (I don’t say this in a disrespectful way). I have done both on many occasions, and studying from a first century view makes a lot more sense. I believe Revelation is a foretelling of the destruction of Jerusalem and the eventual demise of the Roman Empire.

Old 11-04-2021, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Did Jesus lie?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity