Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 11:59 AM

1,932 posts, read 4,791,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
To Mams.. Can you see though how people can interpret things differently? For instance some might not see the text as narrative and see it as something else (or a parable as literal). Does that make sense?
Yes, to a certain degree, I understand what you're saying. However, unless someone flunked English class, it's hard not to understand which style you're reading. It goes along with the context of what you're reading, whether it be expanded to chapter or entire book. For example, Jesus saying "I am the gate". Of course he was not a literal gate and whoever takes that as "literal" best go back to school I'll leave Genesis alone, as that is its own thread, but just to say the entirety of the style of the book of Genesis, with dates, and names and locations, etc., is to say it's historic narrative. The way it was written exudes this. People take exception to specific chapters, but overall the book reads as historic narrative.

Quote:
So to all.. who becomes right? Or is there a need to be "right"?
Only God can be 100% right about what he says to us in His word. However, we can be on solid footing if we seek His guidance and wisdom in understanding what we're reading. Scripture interprets scripture. If you come upon something questionable .. pause, pray and look through the rest of scripture to determine if your understanding is correct. The Bible does not contradict itself at all. So if something is "misinterpreted", dig a little deeper to see what else is said on the subject. This form of "context" will help. The whole of scripture can be used to determine if one's understanding is correct or not.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by mams1559; 06-12-2008 at 12:01 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 12:04 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,547,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
Yes, to a certain degree, I understand what you're saying. However, unless someone flunked English class, it's hard not to understand which style you're reading. It goes along with the context of what you're reading, whether it be expanded to chapter or entire book. For example, Jesus saying "I am the gate". Of course he was not a literal gate and whoever takes that as "literal" best go back to school I'll leave Genesis alone, as that is its own thread, but just to say the entirety of the style of the book of Genesis, with dates, and names and locations, etc., is to say it's historic narrative. The way it was written exudes this. People take exception to specific chapters, but overall the book reads as historic narrative.

Only God can be 100% right about what he says to us in His word. However, we can be on solid footing if we seek His guidance and wisdom in understanding what we're reading. Scripture interprets scripture. If you come upon something questionable .. pause, pray and look through the rest of scripture to determine if your understanding is correct. The Bible does not contradict itself at all. So if something is "misinterpreted", dig a little deeper to see what else is said on the subject. This form of "context" will help. The whole of scripture can be used to determine if one's understanding is correct or not.

Hope that helps.

Very well said. I espacially like your last paragraph. It is exactly what I have been trying to get across.

Old 06-12-2008, 02:25 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,271,106 times
Good points brought in this thread!

The Holy Spirit's voice is a still, small voice.. and first of all, we need to be humble and willing to be taught, not only "directly" by the Holy Spirit, but "indirectly" by the Holy Spirit, through our Christian brothers and sisters.

The truth leaves a calmness and a peace with us.. something speaks to us as being "right". We can't always go by our feelings, but if we are having to speak "loudly", or are really "keyed up" about a certain doctrine (our whole Christian life seems to revolve around a certain issue), or if we need to bring alot of intellectual or technical points, or rely alot on "private interpretations" (2 Pet. 1:20) or get hung up on translations, context, etc.. we're probably missing the point somewhere. It all fits together in a peaceful, honest way. No need to fear, no need to use certain verses and ignore others.. no need to stress some scriptures' importance and some scriptures' irrelevance.

The bottom line is, as some have mentioned, only God is 100% truth. Life is a learning experience, and our first priority is to humbly follow God, and He will reveal to us what we need to know. "He who will be chief among you, let him be your servant." (Matt 20:27) Following is more important than leading.

Oh, and bigthirsty, I love all kinds of Mexican food (including chalupas).. but there's nothing that beats an authentic double-tortilla taco from a taco stand, with onions and cilantro, and a little lemon for flavoring. But I can't get those around here! (I had some in your area not that long ago.. makes me hungry just thinking about it!)

Last edited by cg81; 06-12-2008 at 02:56 PM..

Old 06-12-2008, 03:43 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,068,214 times
Ok.. so here is an example. Another poster in another thread indicated that they thought that not drinking in front of someone who thinks drinking is wrong is backed up by scripture with 1 Corinthians 8:8-12

I read that and I totally don't get that. I get that I shouldn't be sacrificing food to idols..and when I'm around others that do I shouldn't shove it in their face that they are wrong for sacrificing food to idols..

So there is obviously an interpretation issue between two people..

Anyone else care to chime in? Any other interpretations?

Old 06-12-2008, 06:57 PM

23,013 posts, read 34,374,307 times
Quote:
Ok.. so here is an example. Another poster in another thread indicated that they thought that not drinking in front of someone who thinks drinking is wrong is backed up by scripture with 1 Corinthians 8:8-12

I read that and I totally don't get that. I get that I shouldn't be sacrificing food to idols..and when I'm around others that do I shouldn't shove it in their face that they are wrong for sacrificing food to idols..

So there is obviously an interpretation issue between two people..

Anyone else care to chime in? Any other interpretations?
Here is what I think, for what it's worth. Christian freedom does not mean anything goes. New believers are often very sensitive to what is right or wrong, what they should and shouldn't do. Some actions may be perfectly ok for us do do but may harm another Christian who is still new in their faith. We must be careful with our example. Strengthening someone's faith should be important.

Old 06-12-2008, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Here is what I think, for what it's worth. Christian freedom does not mean anything goes. New believers are often very sensitive to what is right or wrong, what they should and shouldn't do. Some actions may be perfectly ok for us do do but may harm another Christian who is still new in their faith. We must be careful with our example. Strengthening someone's faith should be important.
I agree with you but I'm not sure if I follow how your reply answers the question.. honestly I posted it as the quickest easiest example of how one piece of scripture can be interpreted.

Does that make sense? Sorry its late and I should be in bed!

Old 06-12-2008, 10:24 PM

23,013 posts, read 34,374,307 times
Quote:
I agree with you but I'm not sure if I follow how your reply answers the question.. honestly I posted it as the quickest easiest example of how one piece of scripture can be interpreted.

Does that make sense? Sorry its late and I should be in bed!
I know, I should be in bed too What I was trying to say, if I do anything that causes another Christian to stumble, I have failed as an example.
It's late, maybe I'll make more sense tomorrow

Old 06-12-2008, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I know, I should be in bed too What I was trying to say, if I do anything that causes another Christian to stumble, I have failed as an example.
It's late, maybe I'll make more sense tomorrow
No gotcha.. it makes more sense now. See I need things "dumbed" down for me.. .. people talk in fancy terms and I'm too ADD to follow.

Old 06-12-2008, 10:32 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
it means--- that people hear and see just what they want to
quote from movie 6th sense, by a little boy.

Old 06-13-2008, 04:10 AM

7,995 posts, read 12,271,295 times
Default Sans interpretation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post

a still, small voice...a calmness

Sometimes the music needs only to be simply listened to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity