Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 10:57 PM

140 posts, read 459,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astron1000 View Post
If that's the case, then why is there even a need for evangelism?
I believe the Holy Spirit uses many ways to reach our souls. First and foremost, your conceince, according to the Bible is the work of the Holy Spirit working in you. I also believe He uses the work of evangelists to strengthen what is already written on our conscience. Scripture is quoted correctly by the person to whom you were replying.

As far as to answer the poster's question, if you have a desire to know the teachings of Jesus or more about him, please read the Bible or visit a church that teaches FROM the Bible. Some do not, and don't even really teach much about Jesus. If you would like to know more, I'd be happy to share what I know. I don't claim to be an expert, but I do study the Bible and would be happy to help you become exposed to the teachings of Jesus so that you can find out for yourself what it's all about and make your own decision as to whether or not you believe. The Bible does say that Jesus is the way to Heaven, but final judgement will not be by me or you or anyone here, it will be by the Father and none of us can say what He will see on your heart.

The most important thing for all of us reading this thread here who are Christians, is that we look to our Bibles for the answers. Sometimes what we think and feel are not always what our faith teaches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 11:02 PM

140 posts, read 459,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringwielder View Post
Many millions of non-christians have been brought up to believe that their own deity created the world. That excuses them.
Just because it's what they were brought up to believe doesn't mean that it's the truth. If you raise your child to believe that the world is flat and they grow to believe that with all their might, it does not make the earth any less round. It is what it is.

Old 10-16-2008, 05:46 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,645,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermom0204 View Post
Just because it's what they were brought up to believe doesn't mean that it's the truth. If you raise your child to believe that the world is flat and they grow to believe that with all their might, it does not make the earth any less round. It is what it is.

This is a fascinating statement. So your religion is the "correct" one, to the exclusion of all others? I happen not to be Christian, and I must say, I'm glad you straightened this out for me. Otherwise, how would I have known?

Old 10-16-2008, 07:52 AM

3,553 posts, read 5,160,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
Since Christians think that "no one cometh to the Father but by me"[Jesus], what do they think becomes of those people who have never heard of or been exposed to the teachings of Jesus? Limbo? Just lay in the grave? Go to hell? Just curious.
Sometimes it may be best to leave that up to God to deal with. I am sure there is a plan in place to deal with those who haven't heard the Good News, but again, why bank on the presumption that those who haven't are just doomed?

Peter says this:

2Pe 2:21
For it would be better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than having known it, to turn away from the holy commandment handed on to them.

Why is this? What is the better unknown? Does this mean there is a "worse"?

Old 10-16-2008, 08:08 AM

33,574 posts, read 37,202,082 times
I have heard the "good news" and have rejected it and substituted reality. So what do you think happens to agnostics and atheists?

Old 10-16-2008, 08:44 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,200,827 times
I heard a missionary report in the ‘70s that they had gone into a region of Africa where there had been no evangelistic efforts before them. The team observed a spirit of marvel and adoration when they communicated the love of God, and the sacrifice that His son had given. It seemed the people had previous knowledge of this One that loved enough to die for them.

“Jesus – so that’s His name!!†was their response to the good news.

This made such an impression in the missionary team that the One who had sent them would prepare the soil, and plant the seeds as well! Salvation is of the LORD.

Old 10-16-2008, 08:46 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,200,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I have heard the "good news" and have rejected it and substituted reality. So what do you think happens to agnostics and atheists?
if they abide not still in unbelief, shall be grafted in: for God is able to graft them in again. (Rom 11:23)

Old 10-16-2008, 08:58 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,583,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
I think he is asking for those that don't know the gospel and thus don't know God's laws..

what happens to them?
We all know God's Laws, it's called the Ten Commandments. The bible says, he wrote His Laws in our heart. We know what is wrong, lying, stealing, coveting, murder. We know, therefore we are without excuse on the day of judgment.

If people didn't go to hell if they never heard the gospel, then we shouldn't witness to people. we shouldn't even build churches because exposing anyone to the gospel could be the worst thing we Christians could do because after all we would not want everyone to go to hell.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:05 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,079,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformed Liberal View Post
We all know God's Laws, it's called the Ten Commandments. The bible says, he wrote His Laws in our heart. We know what is wrong, lying, stealing, coveting, murder. We know, therefore we are without excuse on the day of judgment.

If people didn't go to hell if they never heard the gospel, then we shouldn't witness to people. we shouldn't even build churches because exposing anyone to the gospel could be the worst thing we Christians could do because after all we would not want everyone to go to hell.
Are you saying a 2 year old child knows stealing something is wrong.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:10 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,583,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Are you saying a 2 year old child knows stealing something is wrong.
A 2 year old child is born in sin therefore knows the difference between wrong or right. I have witnessed enough babies doing something while they are looking at the parent because they KNOW its wrong.

A 2 year is still innocent and precious in God's sight and would not qualify for the program of salvation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity