Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 04:05 PM

777 posts, read 1,441,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_2828 View Post
I sometimes like to stick to the the original name as I know it in hebrew. I would rather use the name that the jewish people were calling Jesus in the bible.

But you are right about us not really knowing. That is why I am studing Greek and Hebrew, so hopefully I can read the bible in both languages. As for now I have to rely on the english translation, but it is good to learn the language so you can go and study the original version.
Hey, that's great, Shawn.
I pick up on a little Greek and Hebrew, but setting out to learn the languages is beyond me.
It took me awhile to get through Spanish 1, until I figured out how to conjugate. Yuck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 04:34 PM

94 posts, read 135,574 times
Yes, in Judaism, he is termed Yeshua. In Islam, the Messiah Jesus is called Isa ("Isa al-Masih").

Old 03-16-2009, 04:26 AM

3,580 posts, read 6,305,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richio View Post
Hey, that's great, Shawn.
I pick up on a little Greek and Hebrew, but setting out to learn the languages is beyond me.
It took me awhile to get through Spanish 1, until I figured out how to conjugate. Yuck!
Yea, me too. Learning spanish was hard for me, but because I was not really motivated to learn.

I'm sure Hebrew and Greek is going to be hard, but I really want to read the bible in both languages, so I don't have to rely on others to translate the language for me.

I'm motivated to learn the language just to read the bible and have a more understanding of who God is.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:06 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,025,976 times
My teachings from Mary, Jesus' mother, indicates His real names is Jeshu /Jeshua although pronounced with a Y. There is also a pronunciation in "Love Without End" because Glenda talks with Him as she's painting His portrait.

You can read it here: Jesus' birth and youth as revealed by Mary, mother of Jesus

Old 03-16-2009, 04:02 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,305,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
My teachings from Mary, Jesus' mother, indicates His real names is Jeshu /Jeshua although pronounced with a Y. There is also a pronunciation in "Love Without End" because Glenda talks with Him as she's painting His portrait.

You can read it here: Jesus' birth and youth as revealed by Mary, mother of Jesus
Actually that is wrong, the J was never added until translated. Using the Y was always used in the Hebrew language.

Old 03-21-2009, 06:25 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,600,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_2828 View Post
Actually that is wrong, the J was never added until translated. Using the Y was always used in the Hebrew language.
Yes you are correct. If you invest in a Jewish with both OT and NT you will find alot of names spelled quiet differently than our bibles (i.e. Kefa for Peter, Rut for Ruth, etc). A book or two are not arrranged the same order either, even puncuations are placed differently thereby, IMO, changes how it is read.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:54 PM

151 posts, read 154,441 times
Quote:
Occasionally I use another name for Jesus.
Recently, someone asked me about it, so I thought I’d also put the answer in a thread.
I am not a linguist or even a scholar of these things,
but I've done some research in an effort to answer my own questions.
I’m sure others will disagree.
Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I am."
John 8:58
(emphatic – I exist)
can anyone prove that Jesus is not affilliated with the name Zeus, After all all resource tells us that the name Jesus is a transliteration of the Latin form (Iesus) which is a form of the Greek form (Iesous) which is the form of the Hebrew/Aramaic Yehoshua/Yeshua which is the short form, however that is just to many transformation for a name to be playing with when our soul is at risk, and when any language can transliterate from the Hebrew name itself so that they would be to the exact or close as possible, just like they are doing with the name Jesus right now transliterating it into all different languages as if his original name was Jesus, and to be pronounced as gees-us, gee-sooce, or hey-sooce, and or ee-sooce. my point here is just transliterate the Hebrew name Yehoshua and the Aramaic name Yeshua into Greek yourself and see would you come up with the Greek spelling (Iesous) which is pronounced as hey-sooce, ee-ay-sooce, dyz-sooce, or ee-sooce, and or gee-sooce, after all some people believe that the bible that they read is not or can not be mistranslated, or mistransliterated. When transliterating the Hebrew name Yehoshua and the Aramaic name Yeshua into greek yourself you will find that the spelling is more as (Ieosua, or Ieoosua) for the Hebrew name Yehoshua, and which they are pronounced as (ee-oo-soua, or hey-oo-soua), and the same for the Aramaic name Yeshua would be as (Iesua) and pronounced as (ee-soua, or hey-soua), now you see how these transliterated forms sound alike to the name Yehoshua and Yeshua just like Zeus, Jesus, hey-sooce ee-sooce, dyz-sooce, gee-sooce they all sound alike, but however it is your choice on how you are going to reverence and give respect to our savior's name once you become knowledgeable of the truth and truth is what is , what is logical, what is not. So do what Paul tells us to do in second Thessalonians 5:21 (PROVE ALL THINGS) don't just take my word get up and check it out for yourself and then pass it on, don't force it on anyone just tell them or show them, cause it is up to each and ever one to decide to accept the original or the translation.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:00 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,150,470 times
Quote:
Occasionally I use another name for Jesus.
Recently, someone asked me about it, so I thought I’d also put the answer in a thread.
I am not a linguist or even a scholar of these things,
but I've done some research in an effort to answer my own questions.
I’m sure others will disagree.
Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I am."
John 8:58
(emphatic – I exist)
I really love this...thanks..

Old 01-19-2010, 12:25 AM

7,374 posts, read 8,763,552 times
Interesting enough, if i understand it correctly, the literal interpretation of Iēsous is "hail Zeus" ... The actual English translation of Christs name is Joshuah ...

Quote:

"It is known that the Greek name endings with sus, seus, and sous [which are phonetic pronunciations for the chief Greek god of Olympus] were attached by the Greeks to names and geographical areas as means to give honour to their supreme deity, Zeus."
Dictionary of Christian Lore and Legend
Professor J. C. J. Metford

Last edited by Ironmaw1776; 01-19-2010 at 01:44 AM..

Old 01-19-2010, 12:42 AM

1,837 posts, read 4,150,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
Interesting enough, if i understand it correctly, the literal interpretation of Iēsous is "hail Zeus" ...
This isn't a Greek Mythology forum but a Christian forum so please stay on topic and respect the OP...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity