Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 05:17 PM

988 posts, read 1,904,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
Then, may you have a happy/rebuke filled day!

Pro 9:8 Rebuke a wise man, and he will love thee.

HK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 05:34 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,623,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
Yes anytime we share the truth we are placing ourselves in harms way, the world hates us for Christs sake and the only time the world loves us is if we follow an artificial Christ.
The religious leaders were frantic. "See - the whole world has gone after Him!". Do some word studies Robin and maybe you'll find that it doesn't mean "all the non-Christians".

The prostitutes and alcoholics and sinners GLADLY heard Jesus and they entered into the Kingdom before the religious devout. Something is possibly missing in your perception of the world vs. God thing.

You will find that most people respond well when you act in selfless sacrificial love. They do NOT react well to rhetoric but I can't see blaming that on their evilness.
Quote:
The entire world is corrupt and the fundamental Christians are the voices crying in the wilderness.
Well, we have found many of them are corrupt too which kind of puts a dull edge on the knife doesn't it? This persecution complex does have an appeal though. There is a brave romanticism involved in the 'us against the whole world' concept.

Quote:

I am involved in many ways.
I figured as much

Quote:
Clarification; we do not seek to make them like ourselves, but they as well as we are to be like Christ.
Yep.
Quote:
Yes but those who reject his truth will be cast into the lake of fire Rev 21:8
You forgot to capitalize the "H".

Quote:
True but the world is still falling for it as well as many Christians.
The world system CAUSES it. Are you referring to the non-Christians again? They are not the 'world' system. The 'world' system is the world system. Not humans. Get it???

Quote:
Many have tried.

Agreed.

We are just going to have to disagree here.
Thanks for the conversation! Much love and blessings upon you...

Old 03-31-2009, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Kupp View Post
Pro 9:8 Rebuke a wise man, and he will love thee.

HK
Amen. One of the first things I had to learn in my spiritual walk (seriously)

Here's love going out to all the rebukers

Old 03-31-2009, 05:37 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,841,161 times
Quote:
Yes, there is a huge chasm. It's called our understanding and perception.
"Taking vengeance on all disobedience once your obedience is fulfilled".
Once a new preacher friend and I were street witnessing (back in the seventies). As we passed an adult bookstore my friend snapped when he saw the provocative images and message on the sign above the entrance. He went and got something to stand on and began tearing the sign to pieces with his bare hands. I was like "what are you doing!!!???"

I stood back as the owner came out and asked the same question
"MY God doesn't like YOUR sign!!!" came the response.

Then came the phone call, the handcuffs (you know the drill).

Ultimately the church took the "teaching them to observe whatsoever I have commanded you" WAY too literally. It literally became a quest to MAKE disciples and, of course, it doesn't work that way.

Often. The words of the bible are misunderstood almost constantly!

I really hope this doesn't become a gay thread. Suffice to say that those with an obsession with standing against the gay community don't seem to be the same ones who are breaking oppression and caring for the widows and orphans and stopping abuse. I'm not saying that's you Robin, but my former church - really. They think gays are on God's #1 hit list and that their agenda will get God so mad He will kill us all . One must ask - why the obsession with something warranting four sentences in the bible?

Very unbalanced and doesn't address the real problems we face on planet earth. AISI.
These aspects of the Christian walk dont make the news, bt there are many, myself included who do what we can for all who need help, but like you said there are many not.

Old 03-31-2009, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
When I tell my Mom I love her, I also always add the caveate that she needs to agree with everything I think for me to actually like and accept her.

I had such high hopes for this thread based on the title. Oh well.

"All you need is love, DAAA DAA Daa da da...."
Rebuke accepted! Thankyou.

In fact after I reread it knew that phrase was going to be a problem ("may you see the light sooner than later") but it was too late to change it.

I would change it to: "May we all find the light sooner than later".

I have learned not to place myself above those who don't see what I see. Yes, I believe I am more knowledgeable in SOME AREAS than my Atheist or Muslim or Wiccan or Fundie Christian friends. But that does NOT put me above them or lessen my love. And I have found that nearly ALL of them have qualities I lack and can learn from.

Let your hopes on this thread remain as high as you believe humans have the capacity (in my view 'God given' capacity) to learn and grow and be transformed by perfect love.

*edit* And here's my loving rebuke to you BF - don't give up so easily on people! (I say this going back to the "force" thread).

Last edited by firstborn888; 03-31-2009 at 05:56 PM..

Old 03-31-2009, 05:52 PM

Quote:
These aspects of the Christian walk dont make the news, bt there are many, myself included who do what we can for all who need help, but like you said there are many not.
I think the numbers PROVE that Christianity rocks in many many ways. The Christian children's fund is a great example.

I do take issue with the system of fundamental literalism but I don't demonize the adherants as I see them as victims too. As we all are to some extent.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:03 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,718,032 times
Quote:
Rebuke accepted! Thankyou.

In fact after I reread it knew that phrase was going to be a problem ("may you see the light sooner than later") but it was too late to change it.

I would change it to: "May we all find the light sooner than later".

I have learned not to place myself above those who don't see what I see. Yes, I believe I am more knowledgeable in SOME AREAS than my Atheist or Muslim or Wiccan or Fundie Christian friends. But that does NOT put me above them or lessen my love. And I have found that nearly ALL of them have qualities I lack and can learn from.

Let your hopes on this thread remain as high as you believe humans have the capacity (in my view 'God given' capacity) to learn and grow and be transformed by perfect love.

*edit* And here's my loving rebuke to you BF - don't give up so easily on people! (I say this going back to the "force" thread).
Haha - please don't say I rebuked you!

I'm not really sure what that even means, but I don't think I want to be responsible for doing it to someone!

I have dabbled in the frontiers of science and spirituality, and I can tell you that there are only two energies that fundamentally exist in the world - love and fear.

Every tangible and intangible creation derives from one or the other. You have no idea how accurate you are when you say that we can be transformed by "perfect love". It is a very scientific concept that has profound implications.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:31 PM

63,901 posts, read 40,172,494 times
Quote:
Yes anytime we share the truth we are placing ourselves in harms way, the world hates us for Christs sake and the only time the world loves us is if we follow an artificial Christ.
You flatter yourselves . . . if you are hated . . . it wouldn't be for Christ's sake. If you are hated it would be because you are obnoxious, harping, judging, self-righteous know-it-alls spouting your version of the supposed absolute truth.
Quote:
The entire world is corrupt and the fundamental Christians are the voices crying in the wilderness.
The world may be corrupt . . . but it is not those displaying and promoting love of God and each other that are part of it! Can you say the same for those condemning and promoting vengeance and wrath?
Quote:
Yes but those who reject his truth will be cast into the lake of fire Rev 21:8
That may or may not be true . . . but it won't be because of any wrath of God . . . just the consequence of failure to love God and each other.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:46 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,718,032 times
Harold -

Be careful. It is common for terrorists to see themselves as the only ones speaking the truth, standing up against the tyranny of a corrupt and "evil" world.

Victimization in the "us versus them" worldview is very deeply rooted in the fundamentalist mythology.

Stand against it. The way you speak, the line between your values and that of terrorists is disturbingly thin. I'm not talking about your actions, just the way you perceive the world.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:02 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,841,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You flatter yourselves . . . if you are hated . . . it wouldn't be for Christ's sake. If you are hated it would be because you are obnoxious, harping, judging, self-righteous know-it-alls spouting your version of the supposed absolute truth. The world may be corrupt . . . but it is not those displaying and promoting love of God and each other that are part of it! Can you say the same for those condemning and promoting vengeance and wrath? That may or may not be true . . . but it won't be because of any wrath of God . . . just the consequence of failure to love God and each other.
You know I like you Mystic and our thoughts are very close but just far enough apart to cause friction. The obnoxious can go both ways, you know that as well as I do. Harping, well if you have the truth you should share it often. Judging, not really but accused often. Self righteous know it alls, impossible. I have been open enough here to share where I struggle and have struggled. I have humbled myself to try very hard to see others perspective and been ridiculed for it. Actually it is those who claim Gods love without experiencing it that cause the problems by declaring the unrighteous to be righteous "We all fall short of the glory of God". It will be blamed on the wrath of God when in fact we bring such wrath upon ourselves.

Have you answered Harolds question? I am curious, can we willfully sin and still have eternal life?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity