Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 07:27 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,943,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlemur View Post
The Bible is what it is and there is no changing it and what it contains. People can twist it, bend it and try to change its meanings, but in the end, the truths it contains will still come through.

Of course, unequally yoked is and has been used by racists to say a white and black person should not get married. The same as it is being twisted and changed and used to villify homosexuals.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 07:41 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,808,724 times
I agree with you Phazelwood, it's seriously like we do anything we can to hold onto a selfish misconception of one group of people deserving less natural rights than we have. This isn't about what you've earned through accomplishments, this is about natural law. I hate the, "well I don't think it's wrong, but God does, sooo..." Do you also think it's wrong for a man and woman to be equals? Because it says in the Bible women are to be submissive to their husband. We have to remember this book is inspired, not dictated. Do you think humanbeings would actually be capable of recording timeless perfect truth in an imperfect changing world? I don't think it's possible. We know slavery is wrong now as well. You have to be careful how you read the Bible, and not just see what you've been told to see. Say you are correct, and God really didn't want two guys or two girls to be together, ok, well that means it's something that happens either like a bad gene or harmful stimulus in the womb or something from early childhood like a diet issue or maybe a traumatic experience. You can't deny there are physical differences in the brains of homosexuals, you can argue what causes them, but they're still there. Is it not our job then to encourage the love and loyalty of that union if it's origins come from a social flaw? If we caused it collectively, we need to take responsibility; paying your debts is in the Bible as well.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:55 AM

1,491 posts, read 3,115,644 times
I rest my case and leave it to the rest of you to discuss.

Old 07-16-2009, 02:05 PM

136 posts, read 300,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Ahh.. fall back on bigotry, eh? Make fun of the homos with silly, childish put-downs?
So now I'm a "bigot" because I think evolution (or nature, or whatever) designed the human species to propogate via a male and a female? Saying that is making fun of deviants from evolution's grand designs?

Logic and down-to-earth common sense has fled this sinking country.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:15 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,798,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
I'm still waiting for actual Scripture to support gay marriage.
And I'm still waiting for scripture to support atheist, buddhist, Muslim and Hindu marriages...

(Oh wait! no I'm not - because scripture is irrelevant to the laws and institutions of this *secular* melting pot country. Marriage isn't the property of Christianity or your god.)

Old 07-16-2009, 06:30 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmweatherman View Post
So now I'm a "bigot" because I think evolution (or nature, or whatever) designed the human species to propogate via a male and a female? Saying that is making fun of deviants from evolution's grand designs?

Logic and down-to-earth common sense has fled this sinking country.
Geez, I don't know, are you?

A bigot is....

1. one who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices
2. one who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those who differ.
3. over-pious, holier-than-thou

Old 07-16-2009, 08:20 PM

....whatever.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:46 PM

So, we're going to play semantic games...?
bigot /"bIg@t/
n. a person who is prejudiced in their views and intolerant of the opinions of others.
– DERIVATIVES bigoted adj. bigotry n.
– ORIGIN C16: from Fr., of unknown origin.

...intolerant of the opinion of others? Sorta describes you, eh? Now don't get me wrong, I am not calling you a bigot just because you are intolerant of those of us who recognize that nature on this planet set up our species to propogate with a male and a female (notice I didn't say God set it up, or the Courts or Government set it up, or aliens either, but our planet's nature and evolution). And I am not saying that same-sex couples who want to profane the concept of heterosexuals marrying to procreate by some perverted, phony imitation of this process, faux marriage, are deviants. Nope, not at all. I'm not going there.

Y'all have a nice weekend now.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:51 PM

Phazelwood: "Of course, unequally yoked is and has been used by racists to say a white and black person should not get married. The same as it is being twisted and changed and used to villify homosexuals."

This isn't meant to flame you, but in all honesty I have read this statement about ten times and I still can't grasp what you are trying to say here. Maybe it's just me...

Old 07-17-2009, 12:55 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,943,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmweatherman View Post
Phazelwood: "Of course, unequally yoked is and has been used by racists to say a white and black person should not get married. The same as it is being twisted and changed and used to villify homosexuals."

This isn't meant to flame you, but in all honesty I have read this statement about ten times and I still can't grasp what you are trying to say here. Maybe it's just me...

Perhaps poor wording on my part, just as the bible is twisted to use parts of it to condemn a interracial marriage the bible is used in the same way to villify homosexuals.

Unequally yoked is an inference to an interracial couple and so are the verses used as justification to condem homosexuals. There are strong arguments, but it is an intepretational matter not an absolute wording matter either way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity