Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2010, 04:15 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,775,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
If you do a careful study of the book of life you will see that it is a book recording the living. All that are, have been, and will be alive are written there. Names are never added but may be blotted out. A name being blotted out is still there just blotted, crossed off. In fact, Revelation tells us that new names are given so that EVERYTHING WILL BE MADE NEW! The bible clearly states that those whose names DO NOT APPEAR will be tossed into the lake of fire with death (is death tangible enough to be burned?) and Hades (the unseen dwelling place of the dead both the righteous and wicked). So since all names are written in the book and none are removed or added it seems reasonable that both death and hades are not physical things... same can be said for those not written in the book.

Why is the focus on the NEXT life when it is THIS life that the scripture addresses? Does anyone notice that there is NOT one affirmation of life after death in scripture? I challenge someone to show me where the bible talks about living after your physical death.

God is not the god of the dead, but of the living!
The bible doesn't necessarily say that names cant or wont be added ...

Last edited by Ironmaw1776; 02-11-2010 at 04:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 07:39 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,982,149 times
Quote:
If you do a careful study of the book of life you will see that it is a book recording the living. All that are, have been, and will be alive are written there. Names are never added but may be blotted out. A name being blotted out is still there just blotted, crossed off. In fact, Revelation tells us that new names are given so that EVERYTHING WILL BE MADE NEW! The bible clearly states that those whose names DO NOT APPEAR will be tossed into the lake of fire with death (is death tangible enough to be burned?) and Hades (the unseen dwelling place of the dead both the righteous and wicked). So since all names are written in the book and none are removed or added it seems reasonable that both death and hades are not physical things... same can be said for those not written in the book.

Why is the focus on the NEXT life when it is THIS life that the scripture addresses? Does anyone notice that there is NOT one affirmation of life after death in scripture? I challenge someone to show me where the bible talks about living after your physical death.

God is not the god of the dead, but of the living!

Your Quote. Does anyone notice there is NOT one affirmation of life after death in the Scripture? I challenge someone to show me where the Bible talks about living after your physical death.

Daniel 12:2 (Contemporary English Version)

2. Many of those who lie dead in the ground will rise from death. (SOME OF THEM) will be given eternal life, and others will receive nothing but (ETERNAL SHAME AND DISGRACE.)

I really believe you need to spend a little more time studying the Bible. LOL

Last edited by Campbell34; 02-12-2010 at 07:47 AM..

Old 02-12-2010, 11:49 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,548,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Your Quote. Does anyone notice there is NOT one affirmation of life after death in the Scripture? I challenge someone to show me where the Bible talks about living after your physical death.

Daniel 12:2 (Contemporary English Version)

2. Many of those who lie dead in the ground will rise from death. (SOME OF THEM) will be given eternal life, and others will receive nothing but (ETERNAL SHAME AND DISGRACE.)

I really believe you need to spend a little more time studying the Bible. LOL
Similarly...
Isaiah 26:19 But your dead will live; their bodies will rise. You who dwell in the dust, wake up and shout for joy. Your dew is like the dew of the morning; the earth will give birth to her dead.

YET-

Isaiah 25:8 He will swallow up death for all time, And the Lord GOD will wipe tears away from all faces, And He will remove the reproach of His people from all the earth; For the LORD has spoken.

Ephesians 5:14 But everything exposed by the light becomes visible, For this reason it says, "Awake, sleeper, And arise from the dead, And Christ will shine on you." Be very careful, then, how you live--not as unwise but as wise,

It always comes down to life. What do you take from this?

Old 02-12-2010, 11:50 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,548,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
The bible doesn't necessarily say that names cant or wont be added ...
yet it doesn't say that are added nor are they taken out. They are blotted out. So what do we know about this book of life? Is it all who have life or what is your thought? If no one is added specifically can we assume that all who LIVE are in the book of life by God before time began? or something?

Old 02-13-2010, 12:09 AM

Quote:
yet it doesn't say that are added nor are they taken out. They are blotted out. So what do we know about this book of life? Is it all who have life or what is your thought? If no one is added specifically can we assume that all who LIVE are in the book of life by God before time began? or something?

I believe the lambs book of life refers to those who have aionios life, and though i believe all will be saved in the end, i do not believe all will have aionios life ...

I was just making the point that id doesnt say that they are never written in ... Just paying attention to the details is all.

Selah ...

Old 02-13-2010, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Similarly...
Isaiah 26:19 But your dead will live; their bodies will rise. You who dwell in the dust, wake up and shout for joy. Your dew is like the dew of the morning; the earth will give birth to her dead.

YET-

Isaiah 25:8 He will swallow up death for all time, And the Lord GOD will wipe tears away from all faces, And He will remove the reproach of His people from all the earth; For the LORD has spoken.

Ephesians 5:14 But everything exposed by the light becomes visible, For this reason it says, "Awake, sleeper, And arise from the dead, And Christ will shine on you." Be very careful, then, how you live--not as unwise but as wise,

The Bible is clear on life after death. And if you follow the Biblical storyline, those who place their trust in Christ will live forever with Him, and those who do not, they will live forever, yet in a place that is seperated from Christ.

Old 02-13-2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
I believe the lambs book of life refers to those who have aionios life, and though i believe all will be saved in the end, i do not believe all will have aionios life ...

I was just making the point that id doesnt say that they are never written in ... Just paying attention to the details is all.

Selah ...
Scripture clearly does not support the view, that all will be saved at the end. First in Revelation 20 verse 15 it tells us, that not everyones names will appear in the Book of life. And then it speaks of their fate.

Rev. 20:15 And anyone not found written in the Book of Life was cast into the lake of fire.

In Revelation chapter 14:11 we discover the fate of those who receive the mark of the beast, and were guilty of worshipping his image.

Rev.14:11 The smoke of their torment goes up (FOREVER AND EVER). They have (NO REST DAY AND NIGHT,) those who worship the beast and his image, and whoever receives the mark of his name.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Scripture clearly does not support the view, that all will be saved at the end. First in Revelation 20 verse 15 it tells us, that not everyones names will appear in the Book of life. And then it speaks of their fate.

Rev. 20:15 And anyone not found written in the Book of Life was cast into the lake of fire.

In Revelation chapter 14:11 we discover the fate of those who receive the mark of the beast, and were guilty of worshipping his image.

Rev.14:11 The smoke of their torment goes up (FOREVER AND EVER). They have (NO REST DAY AND NIGHT,) those who worship the beast and his image, and whoever receives the mark of his name.
I believe you are woefully wrong.

The lake of fire is not everlasting, it is unto the ages of ages. Those who are cast into the lake of fire are those who will be saved though as passing through the fire(1Cr 3:15).

Old 02-13-2010, 11:53 AM

5,303 posts, read 6,445,679 times
Quote:
They are blotted out.
This was only in regard to Israel covenantally and generally.
Israel covenatally was in the book of Life, and names were "blotted" out.
That is, those in covenant with God, either old or new, Israel is in the book of life, and those in covenant, are "blotted" out in regards to their behaviour. Since Revelation, according to you and I, was written under the Mosaic Age, and John the Revelator penned this work with overwhelming Jewish, Covenantal overtones, it is easily to see the influence in this very subject, especially where he is drawing off the OT in many ways. I think you are looking into this matter, wherein it is obvious that it is pure coveanntal, apocalytpic abguage, and has no other special meaning other than what it is......Israel/Covenant/Book of the Living.

This is a corporate view of the body, Israel, based on works. The letters to the seven churches are all based on their works, under the covenant of works, prior to the resurrection, which was a judgement on works for the entire house of Israel (Death and Hades) and the Gentile (Sea) world.
All the names of Israel were already in the book of the Living, and based on their works, they were either in, or blotted out.

Old 02-13-2010, 12:41 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,628,230 times
Quote:

"I come that you may have life and life more abundantly"

I think "Awake, sleeper, And arise from the dead" is the key verse as we pass (spiritually) from death into life. It also seems that carnally minded people tend to focus more on the baser elements - physical existence, physical resurrection, physical heaven etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity