Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 08:34 PM

14,876 posts, read 17,148,619 times

Advertisements

Thank you, Miss Shawn and spm62. I will consider all that you have shared and I appreciate you taking the time to post. I understand what you are saying about it being another Michael. I guess I don't understand why he would yell it out again when he saw Michael J. on TV and not say it again. I don't know, just don't know. ...anyway thank you again for sharing. God bless.

Quote:
But the most important thing to know, is that it seems that God is communicating or showing the child something. God may be speaking to the child in a way, that only your nephew can understand.
Yes, I think so. He has a lot of behavior issues and so when these little incidents happen at random, we take notice. I wish that I knew what he was thinking. God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 06-28-2009 at 08:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 09:55 PM

8,167 posts, read 6,920,059 times
I feel the same way about celebrities as spm62.
I see them as no different than anyone else. They have problems just like everyone else.
They put their pants on one leg at at time like everyone else. The ONLY difference, is that a LOT of people recognize their faces and names, etc. To me, that is really the only difference. It's just not important.

With that said, perhaps he DID pick up on something, not BECAUSE MJ was a celebrity and was more important than anyone else who died that day, or any other Michael... however, perhaps he was somehow, picking up on the REACTION of the world.

Now THAT makes sense to me.

Last edited by .sparrow.; 06-28-2009 at 10:44 PM.. Reason: quoted wrong poster.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:03 PM

14,876 posts, read 17,148,619 times
That does make sense, .sparrow. I don't think that Michael is more important than anyone either, but that he did have a lot of influence and many people were affected. So maybe that was it. My nephew does imitate the reaction of people sometimes, and I can see that being the case in yelling out, "No Michael!" and sensing that something was going to happen... Thank you, God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 06-28-2009 at 10:25 PM..

Old 10-03-2009, 11:35 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,944,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Shawn_2828 View Post
As I read about Helen Keller I was moved at how she knew God before she even knew a language.

One of Helen's friends was Philips Books who was a famous of his generation in america at one time.

Helen was blind and deaf from the age of two, she had lived a life of isolation, unable to speak words she could not hear, unable to know what a word was. So, how did she know God?

In one of her letters, Helen told Bishop Brooks that she had always known about God, even before she had any words. Even before she could call God anything, she knew God was there. She didn't know what it was. God had no name for her -- nothing had a name for her. She had no concept of a name. But in her darkness and isolation, she knew she was not alone. Someone was with her. She felt God's love. And when she received the gift of language and heard about God, she said she already knew.

Phillips Brooks was thrilled by this. This was the God he knew.

Phillips Brooks and Helen Keller

There are some who don't believe in God, but Helen knew about Him.

Now this is what is interesting to me. Because people say that others impose and push there believe on people to make them believe.

But Helen didn't have any Christian, or anyone there to "impose" their belief on her and she just innately knew there was a God!!!! Imagine That

So, my question is how can someone explain that?

I would say that it was the Holy Spirit who was with her and speaking and talking with her, how else would she know God in such a way.

Great inspiration, and it was the holy spirit, I say that many people know God in that way even with all their senses. I did when I was a child and thankfully God sought after me till He found me after I was astray for a very long time.

Old 10-03-2009, 12:36 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
Great inspiration, and it was the holy spirit, I say that many people know God in that way even with all their senses. I did when I was a child and thankfully God sought after me till He found me after I was astray for a very long time.
Those who don't understand the reality of what I have said about the need for deep meditation or devout prayer . . . (complete withdrawal from the senses) . . . to touch God and feel His love and acceptance . . . are depriving themselves of the beautiful certainty of this continual presence of God within. Unfortunately . . it took me 18+ years to develop the skills necessary while seeking to accomplish something else . . . (trying all manner of techniques until I found what worked for ME) . . . only to be completely shocked by the reality of it. We can debate all the specifics of what the scriptures try to reveal to our left brain minds . . . but the reality of the experience leaves absolutely no doubt whatsoever about the loving and accepting nature of the God within each of us.

I feel saddened by the fact that we have become so left brain dependent that we seem to have lost the inner connection that should be so readily accessible. Still . . . there are so many ways this presence can reveal itself to our intuition and sincere desire to understand. Love is the main trigger for all of it . . . but that requires the complete removal of all negative left brain concepts like wrath, vengeance, punishment, fear, hate, lust, greed, envy, etc.etc.. In many ways Helen keller was blessed to not be distracted by the senses and live with that precious love from the very beginning of her life.

Old 10-03-2009, 05:11 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,572,931 times
Quote:
Helen Keller:A remakable woman

YouTube - Helen Keller: In Her Story (clip)

Old 06-17-2014, 11:00 AM

1 posts, read 1,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currency Pair Crocodile View Post
Dude, Allah is God.

Contrary to the Christians, the muslims don't do non-sense with Kool-Aid and acute sermononthemountiasis

You will never hear the faithful say, "I am gay, so Allah and I are okay"

Barring the extremism, the purity of the Quran is never tampered with. We need to appreciate them for that.
Allah is not God and the Quran (and other holy books of Islam) is not perfect. Islam has so many problems with science and morality that I am surprised that so many people follow it. As far as the science part goes:
1)Did you know that the Hadith says that Allah created Adam 60 cubits (or about 90') tall? It does! Now did you know that it is impossible for a human form that large to stay alive? Not only would it take countless calories to run a body that large, but it would be crushed under its own weight. For a better understanding of this, see why a similarly large creature could not exist at
[URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cesaPTik_Q[/URL]. Keep in mind that, while the creature that I directed you to is about four times larger than you believe Adam was, that only means that Adam would've had just 1/4 of the issues (which would still result in death).
2)The Hadith also teaches that "Satan stays in the upper part of the nose all night" and that you need to flush him out with water in the morning(a process called "ablution"). This would mean that the devil is a physical being (to be able to be washed out by water) and actually climbs into our noses at night time. This can be proven wrong pretty easily (unless of course you think that the devil can become non-physical at will, in which case I ask you, why doesn't he do that and prevent himself from being pushed out by the water?).
3)The Hadith also teaches that if a Muslim is praying and he looks to the sky while doing so, their eyes will be "snatched away". Whether this means they will be physically plucked out or just blinded is irrelevant. It can be proven right or wrong so, next time you prey, have someone video record you and look to the sky, if you end up blind by the experience and you can show me that this happens every time a Muslim looks up while preying (as opposed to it happening one time to you in a freak incident), I will convert to Islam straight away (and I'm sure many others will too). Otherwise, this is just another classic example of a scientific problem with Islamic beliefs.
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]4)In the Muslim volume III, nos. 5113 Chapter DCCCXII, it says that non-Muslims have 7 intestines while Muslims have only one. This is obviously wrong.[/SIZE][/FONT]
For more on the scientific problems with Islam, go to [url=http://www.uofe.org/011-6_8DNI.html]011-6.35 islamic studies[/url] or just Google it.

As for some issues in morality:
1)The 3rd Sur says in verses 105 and 106 that "In the great and final day of redemption, only white faces will be saved, and all blackened faces will be condemned."
Abu Darda reported that the Holy Prophet said: Allah created Adam when he created him (sic). Then He stroke (sic) his right shoulder and took out a white race as if they were seeds, and He stroke (sic) HIS LEFT SHOULDER and took out a BLACK RACE as if they were coals. Then He said to those who were in his right side: Towards paradise and I don't care. He said to those who were ON HIS LEFT SHOULDER: Towards Hell and I don't care. - Ahmad" (Mishkat ul-Masabih, translated by Karim, v. iii, p. 117)In other words, Allah is racist. Now you may try to say that these quotes are countered by other sets of Islamic scripture, but that would just mean that Islam contradicts itself, making it even less trustworthy.
2)Muslims are allowed to lie if they think that it will help the spreading of Islam. It is called Al Takeyya
3) I could start talking about how sexist Islam is, but that could go on forever. Instead, you can just click the following link. [url=http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/Quran/010-women-worth-less.htm]TheReligionofPeace - Islam: A Woman is Worth Less than a Man[/url] and again, to use other pieces of Islamic scripture that say women and men are equal would only show that Islam contradicts itself and is not as perfect as you claimed (when you mentioned the "purity of the Quran").

Now, I may seem like an enormous jerk right now. If you see this comment and think that I am just some heretic or whatever or that I just came here to troll, then you are wrong. I decided to write this comment because you seemed to have this "Islam is infallible and everyone who doesn't believe it is an idiot" attitude. Maybe you didn't want to come off sounding like that, but that's how it sounded to me.

Old 06-22-2014, 07:48 AM

774 posts, read 906,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Munchkin View Post
Totally awesome thread! And yes, I do believe it was the Holy Spirit that witness to her heart the things and will of God.

Romans 1:20-21
20 For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse,
21 because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened.

As Paul explains in this scripture that even the Gentiles were without a knowledge of Christ had been shown enough about God through creation to have honored and been thankful to Him.

And she could not see.....but God's grace through His Holy Spirit witness His presence in her life and gave her heart faith to believe in Him, even though she didn't have a language, to recognize, till later.

It really makes one think about those countries that people say have not be reached with the gospel and question will they know......this has really opened my heart to some profound thoughts about how that He is in control of all things, regardless what man thinks....

Blessings and thank you for sharing this!
She was open to goodness. The Holy Spirit was and is around, she was open to sense Him.

Old 06-22-2014, 12:21 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Those who don't understand the reality of what I have said about the need for deep meditation or devout prayer . . . (complete withdrawal from the senses) . . . to touch God and feel His love and acceptance . . . are depriving themselves of the beautiful certainty of this continual presence of God within. Unfortunately . . it took me 18+ years to develop the skills necessary while seeking to accomplish something else . . . (trying all manner of techniques until I found what worked for ME) . . . only to be completely shocked by the reality of it. We can debate all the specifics of what the scriptures try to reveal to our left brain minds . . . but the reality of the experience leaves absolutely no doubt whatsoever about the loving and accepting nature of the God within each of us.

I feel saddened by the fact that we have become so left brain dependent that we seem to have lost the inner connection that should be so readily accessible. Still . . . there are so many ways this presence can reveal itself to our intuition and sincere desire to understand. Love is the main trigger for all of it . . . but that requires the complete removal of all negative left brain concepts like wrath, vengeance, punishment, fear, hate, lust, greed, envy, etc.etc.. In many ways Helen keller was blessed to not be distracted by the senses and live with that precious love from the very beginning of her life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simtropico View Post
She was open to goodness. The Holy Spirit was and is around, she was open to sense Him.
If only everyone would actually believe Christ abides with us and His Holy Spirit (Comforter) actually IS available within our consciousness . . . they wouldn't have to rely on the left brain "precepts and doctrines of men" pretending to know God and what He wants from us. "Be quiet and know that I am God" in "love of God and each other" daily and repent when we don't . . . IS the recipe to know God and know God truly . . . as Helen did. The love available is unmistakable and priceless.

Old 06-22-2014, 05:12 PM

122 posts, read 98,642 times
Enjoyed reading this morning and again this afternoon, agree it looks like she is a saint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity