Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 05:26 PM

774 posts, read 906,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
If only everyone would actually believe Christ abides with us and His Holy Spirit (Comforter) actually IS available within our consciousness . . . they wouldn't have to rely on the left brain "precepts and doctrines of men" pretending to know God and what He wants from us. "Be quiet and know that I am God" in "love of God and each other" daily and repent when we don't . . . IS the recipe to know God and know God truly . . . as Helen did. The love available is unmistakable and priceless.
There's many proofs of God, such as the manner in which Man is created, if you look at blood vessels and more. Couldn't all be accidental.

Helen Keller is yet another proof of God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2014, 10:34 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,527,583 times
The Light Of A Brighter Day~Helen Keller

I choose for my subject, faith wrought into life apart from creed or dogma. By faith, I mean a vision of good one cherishes and the enthusiasm that pushes one to seek its fulfillment, regardless of obstacles. Faith is a dynamic power that breaks the chain of routine, and gives a new, fine turn to old commonplaces. Faith reinvigorates the will, enriches the affections, and awakens a sense of creativeness. Active faith knows no fear, and it is a safeguard to me against cynicism and despair.

After all, faith is not one thing or two or three things. It is an indivisible totality of beliefs that inspire me: Belief in God as infinite goodwill and all-seeing Wisdom, whose everlasting arms sustain me walking on the sea of life. Trust in my fellow men, wonder at their fundamental goodness, and confidence that after this night of sorrow and oppression, they will rise up strong and beautiful in the glory of morning. Reverence for the beauty and preciousness of the earth, and a sense of responsibility to do what I can to make it a habitation of health and plenty for all men. Faith in immortality because it renders less bitter the separation from those I have loved and lost, and because it will free me from unnatural limitations, and unfold still more faculties I have in joyous activity.

Even if my vital spark should be blown out, I believe that I should behave with courageous dignity in the presence of fate, and strive to be a worthy companion of the beautiful, the good, and the true. But fate has its master in the faith of those who surmount it, and limitation has its limits for those who, though disillusioned, live greatly.

It was a terrible blow to my faith when I learned that millions of my fellow creatures must labor all their days for food and shelter, bear the most crushing burdens, and die without having known the joy of living. My security vanished forever, and I have never regained the radiant belief of my young years that earth is a happy home and hearth for the majority of mankind. But faith is a state of mind. The believer is not soon disheartened. If he is turned out of his shelter, he builds up a house that the winds of the earth cannot destroy.

When I think of the suffering and famine, and the continued slaughter of men, my spirit bleeds. But the thought comes to me that, like the little deaf, dumb, and blind child I once was, mankind is growing out of the darkness of ignorance and hate into the light of a brighter day.

Old 06-26-2015, 10:44 PM

4 posts, read 6,450 times
Helen Keller believed in something greater than herself for the same reason everyone else does - for a sense of security and comfort. Humans have a biological need to feel safe and protected in an unsafe, unpredictable environment. And who would need this more than someone who is almost completely isolated from the world?

It's not hard to see why the brain would have a predisposition towards believing in something like a god when thinking about the purpose it serves. It evolved naturally to fulfill this biological need for safety and meaning. Helen Keller is a great example of this.

After all, which is more likely; that there is an all powerful being residing in some etherel, spiritual dimension inserting himself into our thoughts and feelings, or that the brain is capable of creating beliefs that help us maintain a more stable, balanced mentality? The mind is capable of incredible things that we are only beginning to understand. No one gives it enough credit.

Old 06-26-2015, 10:48 PM

Helen Keller believed in something greater than herself for the same reason everyone else does - for a sense of security and comfort. Humans have a biological need to feel safe and protected in an unsafe, unpredictable environment. And who would need this more than someone who is almost completely isolated from the world?

It's not hard to see why the brain would have a predisposition towards believing in something like a god when thinking about the purpose it serves. It evolved naturally to fulfill this biological need for safety and meaning. Helen Keller is a great example of this.

After all, which is more likely; that there is an all powerful being residing in some etherel, spiritual dimension inserting himself into our thoughts and feelings, or that the brain is capable of creating beliefs that help us maintain a more stable, balanced mentality? The mind is capable of incredible things that we are only beginning to understand. No one gives it enough credit.

Old 06-27-2015, 09:56 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,047,381 times
Quote:
If only everyone would actually believe Christ abides with us and His Holy Spirit (Comforter) actually IS available within our consciousness . . . they wouldn't have to rely on the left brain "precepts and doctrines of men" pretending to know God and what He wants from us. "Be quiet and know that I am God" in "love of God and each other" daily and repent when we don't . . . IS the recipe to know God and know God truly . . . as Helen did. The love available is unmistakable and priceless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle guest View Post
Actually . . . being deprived of sensory input reduces the confusion and misdirection and makes the brain capable of experiencing contact with God more likely. My meditation practice focused on withdrawing from the sensory system to achieve an altered state where contact is possible. Helen had a slight advantage in withdrawing from sensory input.

Old 06-27-2015, 10:26 PM

4,217 posts, read 2,784,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Shawn_2828 View Post
As I read about Helen Keller I was moved at how she knew God before she even knew a language.

One of Helen's friends was Philips Books who was a famous of his generation in america at one time.

Helen was blind and deaf from the age of two, she had lived a life of isolation, unable to speak words she could not hear, unable to know what a word was. So, how did she know God?

In one of her letters, Helen told Bishop Brooks that she had always known about God, even before she had any words. Even before she could call God anything, she knew God was there. She didn't know what it was. God had no name for her -- nothing had a name for her. She had no concept of a name. But in her darkness and isolation, she knew she was not alone. Someone was with her. She felt God's love. And when she received the gift of language and heard about God, she said she already knew.

Phillips Brooks was thrilled by this. This was the God he knew.

Phillips Brooks and Helen Keller

There are some who don't believe in God, but Helen knew about Him.

Now this is what is interesting to me. Because people say that others impose and push there believe on people to make them believe.

But Helen didn't have any Christian, or anyone there to "impose" their belief on her and she just innately knew there was a God!!!! Imagine That

So, my question is how can someone explain that?

I would say that it was the Holy Spirit who was with her and speaking and talking with her, how else would she know God in such a way.
"No one knows the son except the Father and no one knows the Father except the son and to whomever the son will reveal Him."

Old 06-28-2015, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Actually . . . being deprived of sensory input reduces the confusion and misdirection and makes the brain capable of experiencing contact with God more likely. My meditation practice focused on withdrawing from the sensory system to achieve an altered state where contact is possible. Helen had a slight advantage in withdrawing from sensory input.
I agree that being sensory deprived could enable someone to be more fully aware of their experience of a god. I think the only area where we depart is the cause of this feeling. I believe this experience stems from a natural mechanism in the brain rather than a supernatural source. This is purely based on the fact that, in general, the correct theory for the cause of an event is usually the one which is the most simple and makes the least amount of assumptions. We already know the brain is capable of creating thoughts and feelings (at least that's what I've been told ), so why would it take anything other than our brain to create the feelings and experience of a god?

Old 06-28-2015, 11:36 AM

63,785 posts, read 40,047,381 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle guest View Post
I agree that being sensory deprived could enable someone to be more fully aware of their experience of a god. I think the only area where we depart is the cause of this feeling. I believe this experience stems from a natural mechanism in the brain rather than a supernatural source. This is purely based on the fact that, in general, the correct theory for the cause of an event is usually the one which is the most simple and makes the least amount of assumptions. We already know the brain is capable of creating thoughts and feelings (at least that's what I've been told ), so why would it take anything other than our brain to create the feelings and experience of a god?
There is no such thing as supernatural . . . so we are in agreement. We differ, I think, in that I see the brain as a transceiver of consciousness. It produces consciousness and it maintains two-way contact with it.

Old 06-28-2015, 12:09 PM

Ah yes, it looks like we agree on the main contention. Consciousness is a whole other animal that I have yet to develop a fully coherent thought on so you'll get no argument from me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity