Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 12:24 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,946,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beloved57 View Post
What scripture says that Judgment is not eternal hell..please show us that scripture..
Oh excellent, you are showing that when people say "it is so clear" that it is not as clear to everyone. It is only clear to their made up mind.

For any verse you use to show an eternal judgment I can show you a scripture that is translated differently, then arguments ensue and accusations rage.

So please, show the scripture that contains the exact words "Judgment is Eternal Hell" Go ahead

In the end, either we can trust God or we can't. When people argue for all these conditions that point to eternal damnation or permanant destruction of anihillation, they cannot provide any security for their own point of view. Cannot be done.

When you can prove to me your not the serpents seed, let me know, then and only then will I at least consider trusting the image you have built.

Otherwise, who is sharing anything with any real hope attached to it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 12:26 PM

1,711 posts, read 1,902,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
This does not claim what you say it does, it does not say they will pray for you in hell.
Where did I say anything about praying for someone in hell?

I said this:

"If these pharisees will never escape gehenna and never enter the kingdom of God, then why did Jesus say that the publicans and sinners would be preceding them into the kingdom of God?"

The scripture says this:

"That the publicans and the harlots go into the kingdom of God before you"

Old 06-28-2009, 12:31 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,835,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thy Kingdom Come View Post
Where did I say anything about praying for someone in hell?

I said this:

"If these pharisees will never escape gehenna and never enter the kingdom of God, then why did Jesus say that the publicans and sinners would be preceding them into the kingdom of God?"

The scripture says this:

"That the publicans and the harlots go into the kingdom of God before you"
My mistake but the qoute did not cover preaching them into the kingdom of God. Just wanted to make the point so none misunderstand.

Old 06-28-2009, 12:35 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
one sharp poster. you are light years ahead of the rest. you got rep.
best expressed by
i do love you honey, ...... and im guna miss you.

Old 06-28-2009, 02:28 PM

136 posts, read 203,660 times
Quote:
Justice for the unrepentant.
My belief as a universalist is everyone will have to be refined everyone will repent, just like Paul that called himself the chief of sinners.
There is no free ride.

Old 06-28-2009, 02:38 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,761,215 times
Quote:
Where might we find this?

The Nephilem are incapable of repentance and many walk among us and are part of our churches.
And who is a nephilim? The 7 foot basketball player? Or is it the one who drinks, the one who committed adultery, or divorce? The one who was with a prostitute or the one that murders for his own gain? Every one of the things mentioned above was one of the myriad of sins done by the heroes of the old testament from Noah all the way up to Paul.

Are the nephilim our enemies? Are we not to love our enemies?

Old 06-28-2009, 02:55 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,761,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Kupp View Post
THERE ARE CONDITIONS! If we want to be loved by God we must keep His
commandments. Jesus said:

"IF ye keep my commandments, YE SHALL ABIDE IN
MY LOVE;" (John 15:10)

"IF a man love me, he will keep my words: AND MY
FATHER WILL LOVE HIM," (John 14:23)

"He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he
it is that loveth me: And he that loveth me
SHALL BE LOVED OF MY FATHER..."
(John 14:21)

Let the scriptures speak for themselves about whom God loves...

"The LORD loveth the righteous." (Psalms 146:8)

"He loveth him that followeth after righteousness."
(Proverbs 15:9)

"I love them that love Me." (Proverbs 8:17)

"...For I the LORD your God am a jealous God
...showing steadfast love to thousands of those who
love Me and KEEP MY COMMANDMENTS."
(Exodus 20:5-6, (2nd commandment)

HK
All of these scriptures are true Harold, but your logical fallacy is evident nonetheless. The use of these scriptures to prove God does not love even the wicked unbelievers is inappropriate. You cant prove something by the lack of evidence. The verses prove God loves and i exegete prefers those who love him. They do not prove God hates and will forever torture most of the human race.

Quote:
Rom 5:8
But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners,
Christ died for us.

Paul was NOT saying that God was showing how much He
*loves* us in that Christ died for us.

The word is "synistēmi" ... Which means to prove, or make manifest in this connotation. God proved his love ... He made manifest his love by his actions. That is what Christ refers to when he tells us to love our enemies. You neglect the context of so many of the above verses. To abide in Gods love is to receive it. Not all receive his love in this age, that doesn't mean they will not eventually in the fullness of the ages. If God doesn't love the sinner King David, a man after gods own heart would have been hated by God. The context of scripture collectively denotes anthropomorphically Gods displeasure with the deeds of unrighteousness. Thats is why the sacrifice(grace) of Christ does so much more abound where sin did once abound.

Romans 5:20 - 21
"And law came in, that the offence might abound, and where the sin did abound, the grace did overabound, 21 that even as the sin did reign in the death, so also the grace may reign, through righteousness, to life age-during, through Jesus Christ our Lord."

Old 06-28-2009, 04:12 PM

106 posts, read 136,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beloved57 View Post
What scripture says that Judgment is not eternal hell..please show us that scripture..
He JUST DID. Not only that, but he used the more accurate translation to show that that the scripture you quote to try and prove eternal punishment (Matthew 25:46) does NOT actually prove any such thing. It says: AGE-LASTING CORRECTION. That is: a limited time period of behavioral correction. If the Greek "aionios" meant "eternal" then the word "kolasis"/"correction" wouldn't make sense in this passage, as the correction would never end and thus, not truly be corrective.

God bless!

Old 06-28-2009, 04:19 PM

106 posts, read 136,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
There is a very poignant series of books called "Conversations with God" by Neale Donald Walsch that provide insight into this topic.

Now, many whose Christian faith is rooted in the Bible take issue with any series of books providing different insight into the ways of God than scripture, but we are currently experiencing a massive transition toward a deeper understanding of God and books of this nature are helpful (though no book is to be worshiped as the ultimate word to which all must adhere). As unlikely as it may seem, it is probable that a path in Christ will not be rooted in Scripture in the future.

All the concepts presented in this Conversations with God series are capable of being tested. One is challenged to test them against any other spiritual teaching and see which works better for one's highest good. In so doing, you quickly realize that God is there providing all we need at all times IF we rise above fear (of not having enough, of damnation, etc...)

As such, it becomes apparent that God truly is unconditional love and that there is absolutely no judgment or Hell. We are given a period to review this particular life once we pass on - assess our decisions and grow from them. We learn that the 10 commandments are not orders that must be obeyed but rather the natural desire of individuals who manifest their highest potential. One who exists in God realizes it is in her highest interest to not defy the 10 Commandments, and therefore has no desire to defy them.

No need for lashings or threats of eternal damnation.

When the Bible was written, humanity was a far more primitive race. They needed a more authoritative construct of God rooted in a dichotomous good versus evil. We have since evolved and awoken our understanding of science and probing literature and deepened our philosophy and evolved our spirituality so that we are now ready to understand God in a more accurate manner.

This new construct of God threatens many - especially those who remain convinced God's word is only accessible through a sacred text written millenia ago - but it is worth considering if you are interested in the idea of God's unconditional love and what may very well have been Christ's actual teachings.
I like what you have to say here. It's funny that when one studies the original Hebrew and Greek one seems to get a sense of a God of unconditional love, rather than finding threats of Hell. Origen for instance, an incredible Church Father who studied the Hebrew text came to the belief in Universal Reconciliation. From what I've heard about him he was supposed to be an incredibly kind-hearted man and firm believer in Christ. Now what shows God's fruit: people like Origen? or people such as those in the dark ages who insisted on torturing people and taught eternal damnation? or those such as John Calvin who would burn people at the stake for "heretical" views? Certainly the Love of God and Christ is manifest in those such as Origen, rather than those who insist on conditional and perverted forms of "love".

Old 06-28-2009, 07:28 PM

988 posts, read 1,903,360 times
Quote:
Where might we find this?

The Nephilem are incapable of repentance and many walk among us and are part of our churches.

And their internet nics begin with the word "mystic" right?

HK
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity