Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 11:04 AM

6,657 posts, read 8,135,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
I side more with Calvinism but I do not hold to EVERY doctrine outright. Yes God must cause someone to believe and repent by giving them the gift of faith. Of course God begs and pleads with us so we must do the same with others in witnessing to them

(Luke 13:34)
"O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you, how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you were not willing!
....."
Fundy it sounds like you are backtracking on your Calvinism. Never mind Calvinism/Arminianism, what does scripture say? No one can come to Jesus unless the Father drags/draws and enables him. (John 6:44, 6:65).

No begging and pleading from God. What kind of a weak-willed "god" is that? No. God determines when each and everyone of us will believe and be saved.

Its that simple. You can't suddenly flip to "arminian-lite" when it comes to discussing 1 Tim 4:10.

God is the Savior of ALL men, because He is the one who is in control of dragging each of us to Jesus.

Peace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 11:05 AM

14,893 posts, read 17,182,682 times
Agree, legoman. It isn't even wrong to backtrack. Just be honest, Fundy. God bless.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:06 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,574,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
So what do you hold to outright, predestination? God bless.
Yes I believe in predestination but not double predestination-I do not believe God makes those good who are going to heaven as He does making, causing people to do evil as they go to hell- I do believe however God created people knowing full well of their destiny.
I am not a hyper Calvinist. It saddens me to hear people say God does not love everybody or that He hates people He created. No scripture to support that.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:06 AM

37,340 posts, read 28,320,738 times
Quote:
That is a strawman. No one can grasp the immensity of God's love, not even you. We can only go from scripture
I think we can also go by the obvious nature and character of God .

Sin condemers love to use the following verse from Romans

20For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse.

Using the same method God's nature and character is also clearly seen, in the same manner we are without excuse when we limit the power of God's love to save All .

Our God is awesome , not partial

Old 07-06-2009, 11:09 AM

14,893 posts, read 17,182,682 times
Quote:
I do believe however God created people knowing full well of their destiny.
Okay, Fundy, if you believe this why would God beg and plead with people He already knows are not going to be saved? If He is not going to cause someone to believe and repent, why beg and plead with them?

Quote:
It saddens me to hear people say God does not love everybody or that He hates people He created. No scripture to support that
I agree. This saddens me too. God bless.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Fundy it sounds like you are backtracking on your Calvinism. Never mind Calvinism/Arminianism, what does scripture say? No one can come to Jesus unless the Father drags/draws and enables him. (John 6:44, 6:65).

No begging and pleading from God. What kind of a weak-willed "god" is that? No. God determines when each and everyone of us will believe and be saved.

Its that simple. You can't suddenly flip to "arminian-lite" when it comes to discussing 1 Tim 4:10.

God is the Savior of ALL men, because He is the one who is in control of dragging each of us to Jesus.

Peace.

Well if I am then so is Paul Washer and John MacArthur because they teach the same thing.

No one is flipping but your total understanding of Calvinism. So why aren't all men dragged?

(Luke 13:34)
"O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you, how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you were not willing!
....."

Old 07-06-2009, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Yes I believe in predestination but not double predestination-I do not believe God makes those good who are going to heaven as He does making, causing people to do evil as they go to hell- I do believe however God created people knowing full well of their destiny.
I am not a hyper Calvinist. It saddens me to hear people say God does not love everybody or that He hates people He created. No scripture to support that.
If God loves everyone, then why does He let some people go to an alleged "eternal hell"?

It sounds like you are flipflopping on your beliefs to support whatever is being debated at the moment.

On one hand God is sovereign and in control of all things, but on the other hand God has nothing to do with people not being saved.

This is called doublethink: holding two contray positions as truth. You are deceiving yourself if you don't confront this head on Fundy.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Okay, Fundy, if you believe this why would God beg and plead with people He already knows are not going to be saved? God bless.
You are asking a question only God knows. I will never assume. I can only go from scripture and God has pleaded for people to come to salvation in scripture. I have no clue how our God's sovereignty at times cannot violate our will. These are things beyond our finite, fallen understanding.

(Psalm 50:21)
"These things you have done and I kept silence; You thought that I was just like you; I will reprove you and state the case in order before your eyes.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:17 AM

Quote:

Well if I am then so is Paul Washer and John MacArthur because they teach the same thing.
They also have to go through some pretty heavy double think to come to some of the conclusions they preach. John MacArthur says God is sovereign over all yet He is not the creator of evil. Paul Washer says God would still be loving, even if He never sent a savior and left all of mankind in hell. Blatant contradictions, yet they will not admit it.

Quote:
No one is flipping but your total understanding of Calvinism. So why aren't all men dragged?
They will be dragged. Perhaps you are assuming everyone must be dragged at the same time?

No. God has a process and a plan. Each are dragged in their own order. Only a few are dragged in this life. But when Jesus returns, all men will be dragged to Him.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:21 AM

Quote:
You are asking a question only God knows. I will never assume. I can only go from scripture and God has pleaded for people to come to salvation in scripture. I have no clue how our God's sovereignty at times cannot violate our will. These are things beyond our finite, fallen understanding.

(Psalm 50:21)
"These things you have done and I kept silence; You thought that I was just like you; I will reprove you and state the case in order before your eyes.
Fundy,

If you want to increase your understanding of God's sovereigty, and our alleged "free" will, read these articles on the Myth of Free Will:
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity