Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2009, 02:14 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,578,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
No the context of the KJV is far mor incorrect in so many more places ... That is the simple fact. The KJV translation was influenced by political powers of the time. The Youngs literal was not.
I have already said, there are better versions than the KJV like the one I read NASB but please stop using that weak argument of polical powers, men died at the stake to get us that translation. You people make me laugh, sit there at your computer, stuffed bellys and criticize the men who did their best, gave their lives to get us these translations.

It is absolutely sad.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:14 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,138,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
It's the same thing!!!!!!!! acccursed is condemned.

In the council of Trent, 13 canon the Catholic church states, THIRTEENTH SESSION, CANONS ON THE MOST HOLY SACRAMENT OF THE EUCHARIST: "If anyone denies that in the sacrament of the most Holy Eucharist are contained truly, really and substantially the body and blood together with the soul and divinity of our Lord Jesus Christ, and consequently the whole Christ, but says that He is in it only as in a sign, or figure or force, LET HIM BE ANATHEMA" (Canons on the Most Holy Sacrament of the Eucharist, Canon 1).

By that statement I am condemned to burn in the lake of fire for eternity.
Anathema means to be accursed.

Unfortunately you forgot about Rev 22:3. No longer will there be a curse upon anything.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:18 PM

Quote:
CONTEXT....just like day, yom can mean a 24 hour day or a period of time, with that context some think the world is 6,000 years old and others think it is millions of years old but guess what, inerrancy and infalibilty remains the intact.

Yep, just like some people think "aionios" means "everlasting" and others think it means "pertaining to eons". Both inerrant and infallible right?

And some people think "aion" means "world, course, ever, never" while others think "aion" just means "a limited period of time called an age". Both views are correct right?

Old 10-02-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Anathema means to be accursed.

Unfortunately you forgot about Rev 22:3. No longer will there be a curse upon anything.
LOL...No I didn't and I have no clue what that has to do with anything. It is still context of the verse, someone could be condemned to death or condemned to eternal damnation

The curse in that verse is there will come a time when the curse on humanity and the earth will end and God will never have to judge sin again.

There is no parallel. CONTEXT

Old 10-02-2009, 02:22 PM

Quote:
I have already said, there are better versions than the KJV like the one I read NASB but please stop using that weak argument of polical powers, men died at the stake to get us that translation. You people make me laugh, sit there at your computer, stuffed bellys and criticize the men who did their best, gave their lives to get us these translations.

It is absolutely sad.

No one here is faulting the translators for what they did.

The only sad thing is that you cannot see that two different translations can say completely different things, yet you still claim they are both somehow inerrant.

Such is the world of modern "theology". Have you ever seen a square circle?

Old 10-02-2009, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Yep, just like some people think "aionios" means "everlasting" and others think it means "pertaining to eons". Both inerrant and infallible right?

And some people think "aion" means "world, course, ever, never" while others think "aion" just means "a limited period of time called an age". Both views are correct right?
it can mean a limited time and a time with no end. It's how you perceive the context. You want to argue context. FINE! but there are ramifications when you say, the bible is mistranslated.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:28 PM

Quote:
No one here is faulting the translators for what they did.

The only sad thing is that you cannot see that two different translations can say completely different things, yet you still claim they are both somehow inerrant.

Such is the world of modern "theology". Have you ever seen a square circle?
ummmm....you do all the time or have we forgotten..let me refresh your memory
Quote:
The KJV translation was influenced by political powers of the time
Are you kidding me? you have accused the KJV more than once. I have read it. it was used to control, it was for power.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:30 PM

Quote:
it can mean a limited time and a time with no end. It's how you perceive the context. You want to argue context. FINE! but there are ramifications when you say, the bible is mistranslated.
Actually the word aion CANNOT mean a time with no end, because scripture tells us the aions end (1 Cor 10:11).

You want to argue context but you ignore what the words say.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
ummmm....you do all the time or have we forgotten..let me refresh your memory Are you kidding me? you have accused the KJV more than once. I have read it. it was used to control, it was for power.
Where did I say that? I think you confused me with Ironmaw.

But even so I still don't fault the translators, if they were indeed under political pressure (which is most likely).

Old 10-02-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Actually the word aion CANNOT mean a time with no end, because scripture tells us the aions end (1 Cor 10:11).

You want to argue context but you ignore what the words say.
That's nice. were not going down that rabbit hole
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity