Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 10:10 PM

8,183 posts, read 6,943,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
Those who believe it is physical...I post the words of Paul:

1 Cor 15:36 [Thou] fool, that which thou sowest is not quickened, except it die
1 Cor 15:44 It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body.

People...get it right, or you will never get it...any of it...not one bit.
What is a spiritual body?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 12:19 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,508,871 times
Quote:

If anyone who believe it that it not a was physical ressurection and are JW's, I ask...
Was Jesus the true God or a false god?

When Jesus says " Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have." Luke 24:39 KJV

You're misapplying the Corinthian passage. Paul wasn't speaking about the body of Jesus. He was calling to our attention that our current body is in a sinful weak condition, a condition that will not be able to enter heaven. So the Bible says our earthly body is going to be made glorious.

Again, was Jesus the true God or a false god as recorded

Old 09-21-2009, 02:27 AM

33,324 posts, read 26,524,660 times
Quote:

Do we have a definition problem here? The point is, is that as Jesus is demonstrating in Luke, His resurrected body is a body of flesh and bone. It is physical but it is a resurrected physical body. Jesus's body is solid to the touch. He can eat. But the resurrected body is capable of passing through doors as Jesus demonstrated. It is cabable of traveling through the air. Jesus ascended into the clouds in His resurrected body.

Jesus demonstrated in Luke 24:39 that His resurrected body is a body of flesh and bone. The point is that Jesus was resurrected in a body and not as a spirit, or perhaps the word 'ghost' would better describe the distinction I'm trying to make. Let me try it another way. Jesus wasn't resurrected as a disembodied spirit. He was resurrected in a physical body that nevertheless is also of a glorified nature. When we are resurrected we will be resurrected in bodies that are of a vastly superior nature to the mortal bodies we now have. But they are bodies. They are glorifed resurrected physical bodies. We are not resurrected as disembodied spirits.

I do not know how to say it in any clearer terms than that. Now does everyone understand? Have any misunderstandings as to what is meant in distinquishing between a bodily resurrection and a disembodied 'spirit' resurrection now been cleared up? Actually, let me be more blunt. Do the Preterists now understand the distinction? We are resurrected in glorified physical bodies. Simple.

Last edited by Michael Way; 09-21-2009 at 03:06 AM..

Old 09-21-2009, 09:01 AM

5,303 posts, read 6,442,203 times
"If Christ is in you, the "body" is dead. (Romans 8:10-11). 1 Corinthians 15 teaches that flesh and blood cannot enter the kingdom of God. That alone should be enough for you, but it appears not so.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:29 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,220,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
Amen. The church just doesn`t understand the spiritual. They are stuck in the physical. That is one reason why they misinterpret so many scriptures and actually have a false sense of Jesus and God`s plan for his creation. JMO.
Amen...they are just like the Jews of the first century and we all know what happened to them

Old 09-21-2009, 09:41 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,220,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
If anyone who believe it that it not a was physical ressurection and are JW's, I ask...

When Jesus says " Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have." Luke 24:39 KJV

You're misapplying the Corinthian passage. Paul wasn't speaking about the body of Jesus. He was calling to our attention that our current body is in a sinful weak condition, a condition that will not be able to enter heaven. So the Bible says our earthly body is going to be made glorious.

I think you misunderstood sciotamicks...he wasn't saying that Jesus resurrection wasn't physical...he is saying that our resurrection won't be physical (our physical bodies coming out of the grave and walking around again). We all know Jesus resurrection was physical...that was done for our purposes, so that we would know that He had defeated death.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:57 AM

63,907 posts, read 40,187,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
I think you misunderstood sciotamicks...he wasn't saying that Jesus resurrection wasn't physical...he is saying that our resurrection won't be physical (our physical bodies coming out of the grave and walking around again). We all know Jesus resurrection was physical...that was done for our purposes, so that we would know that He had defeated death.
Actually . . . it was done for the carnal primitive mentality of His day when Spirits were feared mightily. It saddens me to see it so widespread in this day and age. So little progress in so many millennia . . . God must be very saddened as well.

Old 09-21-2009, 10:03 AM

8,183 posts, read 6,943,094 times
I have no clue what you guys are talking about.
Can someone please explain?
Why should God be saddened?
What haven't we progressed beyond?

Old 09-21-2009, 10:36 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,541,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post

After 3 days a body can be raised. We saw that in the case of Lazarus... We all must die. You cannot be resurrected unless a change occurs. That change happens at death. In the OT they used to have the prophet go die elsewhere so that the people could not worship the sepulcher. If people worshiped the tomb that was an idol.

Is Jesus the True God? No, he was never divine. Is he a false god? No, he never claimed to be any god. He was a prophet. Just think, if his body had been left in the tomb, how many would have worshiped his tomb? How many would miss the message because they worshiped an object? We already worship a book think how much more the body of the dead/resurrected Christ would be worshiped, rather than God. Jesus' spirit left the body at death on the cross.

Matthew 27:50 And Jesus cried out again with a loud voice, and yielded up His spirit.

Luke 23:46 Jesus called out with a loud voice, "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit." When he had said this, he breathed his last.

Mark 15:37 And Jesus uttered a loud cry, and breathed His last.

John 19:30 Therefore when Jesus had received the sour wine, He said, "It is finished!" And He bowed His head and gave up His spirit.

When Jesus said "It is finished" what did he mean? Regarding christians today, it seems they think nothing was finished. It was finished but his body still hung on the cross. What was finished?

Old 09-21-2009, 10:38 AM

63,907 posts, read 40,187,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
I have no clue what you guys are talking about.
Can someone please explain?
Why should God be saddened?
What haven't we progressed beyond?
I have explained this elsewhere in the forum . . . but because you made a special request, I will repeat it here, Sparrow.

Unlike other belief systems, religious beliefs have resisted change, despite the overwhelming evidence that every other area of human concern has clearly benefited from a natural intellectual evolution of knowledge. As R.L. Wing suggested,

. . . Once we understand the folly in this, we gain power by using the evolution in nature to our advantage - accepting, incorporating, and supporting change when and where it wants to occur. . . . Our decisions become astute because they are based on a dynamic evolving reality, not on fixed or wishful thinking.

Too many of Jesus' self-appointed apostles today foolishly place the emphasis on retaining and promoting particular beliefs. What is worse, they often focus on minuscule differences of opinion and escalate them into major concerns. How ironic it is that so many of these self-appointed religious leaders in the Christian fold so closely resemble the Scribes and Pharisees described by Jesus in Matthew 15:9,

"in vain do they worship me, teaching as doctrine the precepts of men."

It is a vain and foolish person who says "live as I say for the reasons I give you and no others." That only serves vanity and ego. Our God couldn't be less reasonable than the best human being! If certain beliefs are causing people to err because they can no longer accept them, revise them or cast them out, as Jesus suggested in Luke 14:34

. . . Salt is good; but if even the salt loses its strength, what shall it be seasoned with? It is fit neither for the land nor for the manure heap, but must be thrown out. He who has ears to hear, let him hear.

Jesus set the precedent for revision of old beliefs with his own revision of the Old Testament which he justified in Luke 5:36,

. . . And no-one pours new wine into old wine skins; else the new wine will burst the skins, and will be spilt itself, and the skins ruined. But the new wine must be put into fresh skins and both are saved.

If we substitute generation for "wine" and beliefs for "skins," we can conclude that it is foolish to try to contain new generations within old beliefs because they are not as compatible with the newer perspectives and knowledge about the world of the newer generations. The old beliefs have served their purpose. They held the earlier generations' belief in God, mellowed our barbaric nature, and humankind has reaped the benefits. But age and new knowledge has weakened their power to persuade and made them totally inadequate to hold the new generations' belief in God. Newer, stronger beliefs more consistent with our rapidly expanding knowledge of the world are needed. This means revision, NOT abandonment!! Such revision has been one of the hallmarks of the splitting of Christianity into sects (Protestantism), (hence my optimism about Christianity) but even that spark of wisdom seems to have faded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity