Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2009, 06:51 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,384,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
The reason our physical body must die and then be resurrected is so that the sin nature that is present in our mortal body dies with our mortal body.
It is my belief that the reason our physical body gets to die and then be resurrected is because God the Father has a glorified resurrected physical body and we, His children, are following in His footsteps, growing up to become like Him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 07:15 AM

2,949 posts, read 5,512,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justamere10 View Post
It is my belief that the reason our physical body gets to die and then be resurrected is because God the Father has a glorified resurrected physical body and we, His children, are following in His footsteps, growing up to become like Him.
Can you give scripture that says the Father has a physical body?

Old 09-22-2009, 07:55 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,539,777 times
Quote:
You continue to hijack this thread spin.

But ok, I'd be pleased to respond to your uninformed notions about the Latter-day Saints, in an appropriate thread. Head over to the Ask a Mormon thread where I'll post a response.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/10864264-post903.html
hijack?

I only respond to your uninformed notions of Christianity

Old 09-22-2009, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
Not sure.

Is it enough to say that the Bible supports human beings being the children of God (that's why we call Him "Father") and created in His own image and likeness, and let it rest there?

Probably not. It's unfortunate in my opinion that so many sincere followers of Jesus Christ accept the Holy Bible as canon and take its teachings literally with the exception of what I mentioned above.

Because of such unbiblical teachings as the 4th century "Trinity" doctrine and other confusing creeds that many of today's church leaders still demand their members cling to, many Christians do not know the nature and character of God, or even what our Father in Heaven looks like! (Some creeds, such as, if I recall correctly, the Athanasian, teach that God is "incomprehensible" that we can never get to know our own Father!)

I was raised in a strong Roman Catholic home. When I learned in my early 20's what the Latter-day Saints had to say about God, that He was literally my heavenly PARENT and that I was literally made in His image and likeness, as the Bible had been saying all along, it was a bit strange to me to consciously think that way, but it sure opened up the scriptures...

Today I view life, the universe, and everything as just a family affair; God providing an environment for His own children to learn and grow up in.

But ok, I'll see what I can come up with regarding God having a physical body. I may need to go to a broader context than the few books from among many that scholars chose to put into the volume we know today as the Bible.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
hijack?

I only respond to your uninformed notions of Christianity
Yes, hijack!

If you were responding to my messages you would be addressing the topic not just displaying your ignorance about LDS beliefs and slamming us.

By the way, contrary to the way you portray yourself as a spokesperson for Christianity; with the exception of our belief in Jesus Christ, there's no such thing as Christians united in one common belief. It's not Christians vs Mormons or any other denomination, it's something like 38,000 denominations of Christians, most with some differing beliefs but all accepting the Christ.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
"Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live?" Hebrews 12: 9

http://scriptures.lds.org/en/heb/12/9#9

"Whoso sheddeth man’s blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man" Genesis 9: 6

http://scriptures.lds.org/en/gen/9/6#6

"The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:" Romans 8: 16

http://scriptures.lds.org/en/rom/8/16#16

"The Father has a body of flesh and bones as tangible as man’s; the Son also; but the Holy Ghost has not a body of flesh and bones, but is a personage of Spirit. Were it not so, the Holy Ghost could not dwell in us." D&C 130: 22

http://scriptures.lds.org/en/dc/130/22#22

Study Helps - a whole lot of scriptural references from search of "god body":

http://scriptures.lds.org/en/search?type=words&last=god+body&help=&wo=checked&s earch=god+body&iw=sh&tx=checked&af=checked&hw=chec ked&sw=checked&bw=1

Old 09-22-2009, 10:33 AM

33,382 posts, read 26,675,735 times
Quote:
God the Father does not have a body. Either resurrected or otherwise. To imply that He has a resurrected body implies that at one time He had mortal body. Which goes back to the false mormon belief that God was once a man.

God is a Spirit; and they that worship Him must worship Him in Spirit and truth. (John 4:24)

Here is how Jesus defined a spirit.

Behold my hands and feet, that it is I myself; handle Me and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as you see Me have. (Luke 24:39)

www.godandscience.org/cults/body.pdf

Scroll down to the Aberrant Theology section: 'Does God have a body of flesh and bone'

Old 09-22-2009, 10:56 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,565,676 times
Quote:
God the Father does not have a body. Either resurrected or otherwise. To imply that He has a resurrected body implies that at one time He had mortal body. Which goes back to the false mormon belief that God was once a man.

God is a Spirit; and they that worship Him must worship Him in Spirit and truth. (John 4:24)

Behold my hands and feet, that it is I myself; handle Me and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as you see Me have. (Luke 24:39)
Ok you just stated that it is a false belief that God was once a man, but you believe that he becomes a man?

How does that work? Which part of the false belief is contrary to your belief? You cannot prove that God has no body then say that Jesus (who has a body) is God.

You disprove and prove that God has a body

Old 09-22-2009, 11:14 AM

33,382 posts, read 26,675,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Anyone can answer this...
What is a "spiritual body"?
And how does it differ from a "glorified physical body"?
The term 'spiritual' as applied to the resurrected body,simply means that the resurrected body does not have the old sin nature that corrupted the mortal body that man was born into the world with. And therefore the resurrected body is not fleshly(sinful- the sin nature)

The glorifed physical body recognises that fact that the resurrected body is a body of flesh and bone. (Luke24:39.) And it further recognizes the fact that the resurrected body has abilites that our present bodies don't have. (Luke 24:31,36; John 20:10,14,19,26-28) The resurrected body is a literal, physical body that has changed from mortal and corruptable, to immortal and incorruptable, and is therefore said to be spiritual.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:17 AM

Quote:

The documents scholars placed in the volume known today as the Bible contain many contradictions and things that are hard to understand without a broader context of revelation. For example, just two verses up from the verse you quote to make a point is the statement:

"Ye worship ye know not what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews." John 4: 22

http://scriptures.lds.org/en/john/4/22#22

If you took that verse literally without placing it in a broader context and wanted to be saved, you'd have to give up being a Christian and become a Jew!

In support of your opinion that God does not have a body, you quote:

"Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have." Luke 24: 39

http://scriptures.lds.org/en/luke/24/39#39

In my view that verse actually refutes your opinion!

In the context of that verse Jesus is showing his RESURRECTED body. He invites the witnesses to handle his body, note the wounds in his hands and in his feet, touch him to confirm that his resurrected body is SOLID, not just a spirit.

So, Jesus Christ today has a solid resurrected body. And if Jesus set the example for all of us, and if Jesus ascended to the Father as he said he was going to, and if Jesus is God or like God however you believe it to be, then there's at least ONE person with a solid resurrected body living in the presence of God the Father! (Don't children want to grow up and become like their parents? Why would God deny that possibility to His own children?)

Think about it and draw your own conclusions if you can only open your mind and step outside of your fixation on your own limited arbitrary package of beliefs. There is a huge amount to be learned in these the FULNESS of times. But God is not going to force anyone to learn new knowledge. That you must partake of yourself.

These are exciting times in which to live!

That's how I see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity