Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 10:00 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,450,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Why do you "take one verse"?

You can read the whole discourse if you want...which plainly separates the Physical and Spiritual...and there are many areas in scripture that define the body we have now, to the one we receive in Heaven, which are both very, very different. However, it seems that many of you, use the body Jesus had after the resurrection from the grave as the exact copy of what we will have. You miss the whole meaning of Christ's bodily resurrection. This was a sign, to the unfaithful generation that needed a sign, to see with their own eyes.
This sign, has nothing to do with the resurrection of the dead and living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 10:28 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,381,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
But then there is a rapture of quite a few people who don't die, just vanish into heaven. How does that make sense? Are you all gonna die at once? and resurrect later? I mean how do you find that certain people don't ever die?
There are stories that John the Revelator and others did not die and live yet upon this earth in bodies that have been "translated."

Such a concept is seldom discussed in most churches but some information is available about "translated beings" for example at the following link which I found with a quick Google:

http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/List_of_people_who_went_to_heaven_alive

It is possible that during the Millennium all mortals alive on this earth will have translated bodies. That means that they have many of the powers of a resurrected being but have not yet died. That could account for the state of those said to be caught up to the heavens at the glorious "second" coming of Jesus Christ.

But that's just a mere speculation...

Old 09-21-2009, 10:29 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,510,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
How can you be so dull of understanding.
I ask the same thing of you. How can you be so dull of understanding? Is it because you don`t want to let go of your churchology or is it that you just can`t grasp it?

Quote:
Nothing has been spun. The passages do indeed speak for themselves.
You certainly do spin the scriptures. A lot of the scripture you post, (not just about the rapture) you go off on some tangient trying to tell us what the scripture is saying. Trying to explain what it REALLY means instead of just letting the scripture speak for itself. How can you not see that?

Quote:
You are not properly understanding the verse that you quoted.
There you go, perfect example. I `m not understanding it the way you you are spinning it. Do you see what you just wrote? What is properly understanding it? So instead of just reading it and believing it, you need to explain what it REALLY means. That is exactly what I`m talking about. Do you see how you feel the need to always explain what a scripture is saying? Instead of believing it you have to spin it so that it fits what you have been taught.

Quote:
And you are isolating it from the verses that I have used. One verse cannot nullify another. One verse does not cancel out another verse.
I`m glad you are finally admitting that. I have told you before that is how you need to look at scripture. I explained that to you in another thread about the state of the dead. But unfortunately you are not practicing what you preach. Just like with the state of the dead, you ignore the many many plain verses that say the total opposite of what you are trying to teach. Instead, you are so focused on your doctrine that you mold scripture after scripture to try and make it fit your doctrine. That is why you constantly have to give in depth explanations of what scriptures REALLY mean instead of letting them mean what they say.

Quote:
The reason our physical body must die and then be resurrected is so that the sin nature that is present in our mortal body dies with our mortal body. And our resurrected body is then one of immortality and glory.
But you`ve already said not everyone will die!

Quote:
Whether you believe what I say or not is your concern.
This isn`t really about me believing what YOU say. You are not the authority. You are not the one who has all truth. It is about just believing what the bible says and not constantly adding or changing the word of God to fit some churchology.

Quote:
But I will continue to post the truth for those who are interested in the truth.
And there are others who will continuely post plain scripture next to your personal interpretation of it so others can see the truth.

Quote:
Let those who are offended by doctrinal teaching continue to be offended.
And let those who are offended by the word of God come to know the truth and leave their doctrines of men behind.

Quote:
When I do make a mistake and realize it, I will be the first to admit it.
I doubt you will. I believe you are blind in a lot of ways. It appears you have become so indoctrinated by man`s teachings that you just can`t discern the truth from man`s teachings.

I leave you with one question. When we are resurrected what kind of body does the bible say we will have? no need to go off on a tangient with a bunch of manmade explanations. A simple one or two word answer. What kind of body will we have?

Old 09-21-2009, 10:45 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,381,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
I ask the same thing of you. How can you be so dull of understanding? Is it because you don`t want to let go of your churchology or is it that you just can`t grasp it?
I hope you don't get too frustrated. I think he is sincere but I went through this exact same thing with Mike at great length in another thread. I honestly think he just can't grasp that there are many ways to interpret scriptures other than his way.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/christianity/696030-so-what-exactly-christian-2.html

I even started a new thread to discuss that attitude among some Christians who seem to think they are commanded by God to slam denominations that don't believe exactly as they do:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/chris...l#post10859470

Old 09-21-2009, 10:47 PM

8,186 posts, read 6,964,685 times
Anyone can answer this...
What is a "spiritual body"?
And how does it differ from a "glorified physical body"?

Old 09-21-2009, 10:50 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,557,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justamere10 View Post
There are stories that John the Revelator and others did not die and live yet upon this earth in bodies that have been "translated."

Such a concept is seldom discussed in most churches but some information is available about "translated beings" for example at the following link which I found with a quick Google:

http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/List_of_people_who_went_to_heaven_alive

It is possible that during the Millennium all mortals alive on this earth will have translated bodies. That means that they have many of the powers of a resurrected being but have not yet died. That could account for the state of those said to be caught up to the heavens at the glorious "second" coming of Jesus Christ.

But that's just a mere speculation...
That's a lot of people taken up alive... yet different in each religion. Interesting. I doubt they are still alive as you say, kinda presents a conspiracy type theory, but it's still interesting.

I believe this change happened to the human race already. We are changed from what we were. For example, the pre-Christ world is said to be without conscience. Moses' conscience was God and when God wasn't with him... he messed it all up. In the post-Christ world we definitely have a conscience. There is no excuse for any of us. God gave us each our own spirit of discernment, just as Christ had. Wrote it in our minds in fact and poured out his spirit on all.

IMHO

Old 09-21-2009, 11:08 PM

33,360 posts, read 26,626,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post

I`m glad you are finally admitting that. I have told you before that is how you need to look at scripture. I explained that to you in another thread about the state of the dead. But unfortunately you are not practicing what you preach. Just like with the state of the dead, you ignore the many many plain verses that say the total opposite of what you are trying to teach. Instead, you are so focused on your doctrine that you mold scripture after scripture to try and make it fit your doctrine. That is why you constantly have to give in depth explanations of what scriptures REALLY mean instead of letting them mean what they say.
I have always used scripture with scripture.

Quote:
But you`ve already said not everyone will die!
Those who are alive at the time of the rapture will not die. Their bodies will simply be changed from corruptability to incorruptability, from mortal to immortal. Which by the way the scriptures plainly say. 1 Cor. 15:51-54.

Quote:
This isn`t really about me believing what YOU say. You are not the authority. You are not the one who has all truth. It is about just believing what the bible says and not constantly adding or changing the word of God to fit some churchology.
The Bible is the authority. Your hatred toward sound doctrinal teaching and assuming it to be the teachings of man have clouded your thinking. You seem to have a motto of 'simple thinking for simple minds'. Therefore, carry on. Simple.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:09 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,529,924 times
Quote:
It is my belief that the two major effects of the Atonement worked out by Jesus Christ in Gethsemane and on the cross were:
http://scriptures.lds.org/en/1_cor/15/53-54#53
quoting LDS scriptures....."So why are you making it about Mormonism?"

Quote:
2. Eternal Life - The degree of Eternal Life we attain to, in my understanding, is conditional on the choices we make towards becoming more like God the Father (good/righteous) or away from God (evil.)

http://scriptures.lds.org/en/rom/2/6-8#6
The degree of Eternal Life we attain to, in my understanding, is conditional on the choices we make towards becoming more like God the Father .....progression to godhood ....."So why are you making it about Mormonism?"

Quote:
Jesus Christ was the first to be resurrected. His physical body and spirit body were melded into a body made of flesh and bone. (Not blood, blood is corrupt.)

http://scriptures.lds.org/en/1_cor/15/20,22-23#20
quoting LDS scriptures....."So why are you making it about Mormonism?"

Quote:
After his resurrection many others were resurrected and appeared to many witnesses in the Old World, and in the Americas where he went to teach his "other sheep."
http://scriptures.lds.org/en/matt/27/52-53#52
No....thats not Mormon

Word Search: resurrected[/quote]

Quote:
As you said "this isn't about Mormonism." So why are you making it about Mormonism?

My quotes were all from the Bible but you come on here to slam the Latter-day Saints and call us a "cult". Shame on you....
Yes, the historic definition of a cult was one that denies the Trinity and the incarnation of Jesus.....Now you say "The degree of Eternal Life we attain to" ------progressing to become a god.

Do you really still believe I'm making into a LDS?

Old 09-21-2009, 11:12 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,529,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Hmmmmm.... Actually the bible says that any spirit that confesses that Jesus is NOT flesh, is NOT of God... where does it say that about Jesus being God? If you confess Jesus is not God there is no penalty no nothing, yet it is ultra important to you in order to distinguish between godly and non godly?

BTW--- I'm Not LDS or JW just plain Christian.
Not understanding this,.......

Old 09-21-2009, 11:13 PM

8,186 posts, read 6,964,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Anyone can answer this...
What is a "spiritual body"?
And how does it differ from a "glorified physical body"?
Just bumping this before it gets buried amongst the other posts...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity