Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2009, 08:53 PM

33,246 posts, read 26,463,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justamere10 View Post
"And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose, And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many." Matthew 27: 52-53

http://scriptures.lds.org/en/matt/27/52-53#52
Resurrection refers to the mortal body being raised into a state of immortality and incorruptability, never to see death again.

Resuscitation refers to a person being brought back to life in his mortal body only to die again at a later date. The saints spoken of in Matt 27:52-53, were simply resuscitated in their mortal bodies and who at some later time died again. The same was the case with Lazarus. They were not resurrected.

The passage in Hebrews 9:27 where it says ''...it is appointed for men to die once...,'' is a general principle. God has made exceptions as per Lazarus and the saints mentioned in Matt. 27. God had a specific reason for resuscitating them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 08:57 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,497,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Resurrection refers to the mortal body being raised into a state of immortality and incorruptability, never to see death again.

Resuscitation refers to a person being brought back to life in his mortal body only to die again at a later date. The saints spoken of in Matt 27:52-53, were simply resuscitated in their mortal bodies and who at some later time died again. The same was the case with Lazarus. They were not resurrected.

The passage in Hebrews 9:27 where it says ''...it is appointed for men to die once...,'' is a general principle. God has made exceptions as per Lazarus and the saints mentioned in Matt. 27. God had a specific reason for resuscitating them.
That's the difference. Jesus raised himself with a glorious body, the others were just raised...they didn't have a glorious body.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:10 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,375,617 times
Quote:

Wow, another gem of wisdom from the all-knowing one! So the saints who had been dead and in their graves, some for possibly many years were "resusitated" instead of resurrected. They must have had some great doctors in those days, or maybe someone who knew CPR went from grave to grave perhaps, maybe breathed into the bone box do you think?

Or are you suggesting without any scriptural mention of it that it was Jesus who went to all those graves and raised the dead in the same manner he did with Lazarus who had been dead only three days? Where really is all that coming from Mike?

It seems that you will go to any length to spin the sciptures so they fit into your personal package of beliefs.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:50 PM

Quote:
But John 4:22 plainly states word for word "salvation is of the Jews." Your position is that there is no interpretation of scripture required, that there is only ONE way to understand it. And yet you explain away "salvation is of the Jews" with an interpretation, as always, your own.

This is a serious question, I'm trying to understand what motivates you to write as you do. Do you think of yourself as a prophet of God with authority and knowledge to interpret scripture on behalf of others?
To the contrary. It is a simple statement of fact. The human authors of the Bible were Jews. In His humanity Jesus came into the world as a Jew and He provided our salvation as a Jew. and as I also said, God brought the Jewish race into existance for the purpose of being the administrators and the custodians of His word. They were to evangelize the Gentile nations of the world. A task they failed to do.

I make no bones about writing with authority. I am quite dogmatic. There is nothing wishy washy about the word of God. The Bible is the revealed word of God and is absolute truth. And what God has revealed to us, He intends and expects for us to know and understand. I approach the Bible from a dispensational viewpoint. I have learned what I know from pastors such as Robert B. Thieme JR. and from Lewis Sperry Chafer, the founder of Dallas Theological Seminary. And I compare what they have taught with what the Bible says. And it all makes perfect sense. Have they made mistakes. Of course. Everyone does. But the vast majority of what they taught is accurate. God did not intend for His revealed word to be taken as ''well, maybe it means this, but it might mean that, or it could mean the other thing.'' When you learn something from a correct Biblical approach, you'd better have the confidence to say ''hell yes, it means this and nothing else.'' And it is not subjective. Correct doctrine is built on correct doctrine. People who dismiss doctrine as being manmade and therefore to be avoided, are idiots. True Biblical doctrine is to be distinquished from false doctrines of men.
And you'd better have confidence in what you know. Now if anyone disagrees with this or anything else I write, it is no skin off my teeth. What I write will surely be of help to someone. I care about pleasing God, not pleasing man.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Wow, another gem of wisdom from the all-knowing one! So the saints who had been dead and in their graves, some for possibly many years were "resusitated" instead of resurrected. They must have had some great doctors in those days, or maybe someone who knew CPR went from grave to grave perhaps, maybe breathed into the bone box do you think?

Or are you suggesting without any scriptural mention of it that it was Jesus who went to all those graves and raised the dead in the same manner he did with Lazarus who had been dead only three days? Where really is all that coming from Mike?

It seems that you will go to any length to spin the sciptures so they fit into your personal package of beliefs.
I thought you were actually asking an honest question. But it seems you only intended to criticize. That saves me the trouble of answering any more of your questions. Do you seriously think God to be incapable of resuscitating a person no matter how long they have been dead? You give God to little credit.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:11 PM

63,818 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
I thought you were actually asking an honest question. But it seems you only intended to criticize. That saves me the trouble of answering any more of your questions. Do you seriously think God to be incapable of resuscitating a person no matter how long they have been dead? You give God to little credit.
This is referred to in the military literature as "sounding retreat." You have no answer except . . . wait for it . . . "magic."

Old 09-22-2009, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This is referred to in the military literature as "sounding retreat." You have no answer except . . . wait for it . . . "magic."
No, it's called suffering idiots only for so long and then being done with them.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:03 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,497,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
C`mon twin...good grief!
Spm62,
Well, someone's Jesus is a liar...those who say Jesus didn't raise physically, or is God, or claimed to be God, or those of the opposite. They are two completly different views of Jesus, both can't be right.

As you know, I'm of the camp that says that Jesus is God, rose himself physically as he said he would, and was accused, tried, and found guilty of claiming himself to be God....as the Bible and Jews defines it as blasphemy.

Though we disagree, you don't (as far as I'm aware of) cry foul when somebody (like Mike555) says that any Gospel outside the Bible is Satanic, only to secretly know that your own Church (ie.LDS) teaches the exact same thing of Christianity. Justamere10 is fully aware of that (or should)...

Last edited by twin.spin; 09-22-2009 at 11:15 PM..

Old 09-22-2009, 11:10 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,530,305 times
Quote:

And no one else mentions the dead people walking around, not in any other book of the NT... perhaps they appeared to many people but none that knew how to write or speak....

Old 09-22-2009, 11:21 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,501,204 times
Quote:
No, it's called suffering idiots only for so long and then being done with them.
Idiots? Have we sunk that low? Just another example, I guess, of someone indoctrinated by the church resorting to name calling when they are disagreed with. Shameful!
I would ask that those reading these threads and searching for truth, please don`t think that all who believe in Jesus as Savior act like this. God commands us to love one another and forgive, though we may disagree. Please don`t let post like the one above distort your view of God. Sometimes our disagreements become very spirited but should never result in post like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity