Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2009, 09:06 PM

64,027 posts, read 40,331,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Perhaps it's just a different dimension.
Perhaps a "spiritual" glorified body is one that we cannot even begin to understand. So if people are saying "physical" body, maybe it's a physical body in a sense, but one that is so BEYOND being JUST a physical body. It has properties that no other physical body has. It's a glorified body.

I think there is a lot that we don't know. I think it's better than what we think. And I do think that sometimes people can "spiritualize" something to death so that it just doesn't even have any substance, any meaning any more. It's like people take the symbology too far and do away with something that maybe they shouldn't be doing away with.
Not sure if this is making sense, but I think I'm just contemplating this whole thread! lol.

peace.
We are strongly wedded to our physical body and understandably are unsettled by the thought of its loss . . . so we seek to rationalize any version of it that will allow us to envision our continued existence in one. I will repeat what I said to you earlier, sparrow . . . what kind of "body" do you have in your dreams? It will be pretty much the same "bodily experience" after we are reborn as Spirit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 09:13 PM

33,360 posts, read 26,626,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astron1000 View Post
OK I got my hand slapped because an admin thought I was trolling with a previous post (although of course I didn't think so). So I'll re-word this:

If Jesus had a literal, physical resurrection, then he's still physically alive somewhere.

So, where?

Remember: He's physical. He didn't die. Ergo, he's alive today. In physical form. He's living somewhere.

Where? And if you just say "Heaven" well then you have to go to the next step and admit Heaven is purely a physical place. Which again means it's somewhere. Where is it?
The Bible describe three heavens.

1) The First heaven :The band of atmosphere surrounding our planet.
1 Kings 14:11

2) The Second heaven:The entire stellar universe. The abode of the angels.
Deuteronomy 4:19

3)The Third Heaven. The Throne room of God. Outside the universe. Far above all other heavens.
Eph. 4:10; 2 Corinthians 12:2-4

Old 09-23-2009, 09:15 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,557,956 times
Quote:
OK I got my hand slapped because an admin thought I was trolling with a previous post (although of course I didn't think so). So I'll re-word this:

If Jesus had a literal, physical resurrection, then he's still physically alive somewhere.

So, where?

Remember: He's physical. He didn't die. Ergo, he's alive today. In physical form. He's living somewhere.

Where? And if you just say "Heaven" well then you have to go to the next step and admit Heaven is purely a physical place. Which again means it's somewhere. Where is it?
Good Point. He's hanging out with Elvis and Chris Farley (I swear he's still alive somewhere).

Kidding aside. It's a valid point to make.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:19 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,557,956 times
Quote:
Perhaps it's just a different dimension.
Perhaps a "spiritual" glorified body is one that we cannot even begin to understand. So if people are saying "physical" body, maybe it's a physical body in a sense, but one that is so BEYOND being JUST a physical body. It has properties that no other physical body has. It's a glorified body.

I think there is a lot that we don't know. I think it's better than what we think. And I do think that sometimes people can "spiritualize" something to death so that it just doesn't even have any substance, any meaning any more. It's like people take the symbology too far and do away with something that maybe they shouldn't be doing away with.
Not sure if this is making sense, but I think I'm just contemplating this whole thread! lol.

peace.
I can see that going both ways. I'm always correcting myself by reading the surrounding chapter of a verse or something. Cuz really you can think too spiritual and everything is spiritual. But if you think literally then all you will find is literal. Same goes for Doctrine. Should you challenge something you have been taught? I say yes! Always. I'd say that is what they called testing the spirit in the NT.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:26 PM

8,186 posts, read 6,964,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
We are strongly wedded to our physical body and understandably are unsettled by the thought of its loss . . . so we seek to rationalize any version of it that will allow us to envision our continued existence in one. I will repeat what I said to you earlier, sparrow . . . what kind of "body" do you have in your dreams? It will be pretty much the same "bodily experience" after we are reborn as Spirit.

I am not seeking to rationalize anything.
And I'm sorry but I don't agree with you about the dream thing.
By the way... again, I'm not talking a "physical" body as we know it now... in this fallen state.
I'm talking a "glorified body". Something that we can't probably even imagine.
It could very well encompass your views as well, in a way that perhaps you can't even realize now.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:31 PM

8,186 posts, read 6,964,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
I can see that going both ways. I'm always correcting myself by reading the surrounding chapter of a verse or something. Cuz really you can think too spiritual and everything is spiritual. But if you think literally then all you will find is literal. Same goes for Doctrine. Should you challenge something you have been taught? I say yes! Always. I'd say that is what they called testing the spirit in the NT.

Definitely.
I think what I was trying to say is somewhat (maybe not quite) along the same lines as what this guy is saying. I was just talking to someone about this very thing the other day.

Spiritualizing Scripture (http://www.martinzender.com/spiritualizing_scripture.htm - broken link)

Old 09-23-2009, 09:36 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,381,940 times
Quote:

So, where?

We know that spirit bodies are not the same as physical bodies. After the physical body dies, the spirit goes to a world of spirits surrounding this earth that is usually invisible to those who have not yet died.

In the same manner, a resurrected body is not the same as a physical body. It is a permanent melding of both physical and spirit, a body of solid flesh and bone but without blood. Because of that a resurrected body has supernormal powers and can dwell in places that would destroy a mortal.

The resurrected Christ went back to where he came from and makes his abode with God the Father until the Millennium when he promised that he'd live on earth for a thousand years.

"Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God." John 20: 17

http://scriptures.lds.org/en/john/20/17#17

(Interestingly, Jesus states in the verse above that he and we are brothers or brother and sister, children of the same Heavenly Father.)

"What and if ye shall see the Son of man ascend up where he was before?" John 6: 62

http://scriptures.lds.org/en/john/6/62#62

Scripture, extrabibilical writings of Abraham in the canon of the Latter-day Saints, identifies the name of the "governing star" that is closest to the celestial world where our Heavenly Father (and now Jesus Christ) dwell. It is possible that we could identify that star if we knew the exact location, and you'd have your answer! Some Native American legends say that man came from the Pleiades.

http://scriptures.lds.org/en/abr/3/3-4,9,16#3

Last edited by justamere10; 09-23-2009 at 09:45 PM..

Old 09-23-2009, 09:54 PM

64,027 posts, read 40,331,746 times
Quote:
Definitely.
I think what I was trying to say is somewhat (maybe not quite) along the same lines as what this guy is saying. I was just talking to someone about this very thing the other day.

Spiritualizing Scripture (http://www.martinzender.com/spiritualizing_scripture.htm - broken link)
Ah . . . thank you, sparrow . . . you are a literalist. That explains a lot. The misrepresentation of spiritualists in the persons of Melvin, Mayhem and Marvel is part of your problem. I suppose there are people like that who call themselves spiritualists . . . but they are not representative. Spiritualists simply recognize that the scriptures are for spiritual instruction and enlightenment . . . not scientific or archeological or historical or anthropological significance of a worldly nature. They contain such information . . . but only as needed to validate the existence and significance of Jesus. So spiritualists do not get their interpretations from exercise bike experiences or off-the-wall symbolic interpretations of common words. I'm sorry to have bothered you with my views . . . literalists' views are too detached from reality, IMO . . . but if they lead you to "love of God and each other" it's all good. Peace and be well,
Mystic.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:04 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,510,154 times
Quote:
I am not seeking to rationalize anything.
And I'm sorry but I don't agree with you about the dream thing.
By the way... again, I'm not talking a "physical" body as we know it now... in this fallen state.
I'm talking a "glorified body". Something that we can't probably even imagine.
It could very well encompass your views as well, in a way that perhaps you can't even realize now.
I think perhaps people are confused about a physical body. We are not our bodies. This is just an outer shell that constrains us to this physical existence that God put us in. He did not give us bodies that are capable of moving through time or space. We cannot move from one realm to another. We cannot see things in the spiritual realm because of our physical nature. Because of our bodies we are bound by time and space. Our minds can wonder and we can sit and think about places we have been and places we have seen. Our memories can take us to another place and time, but we cannot go there because God made it so that our bodies are bound by time. We cannot jump out of our bodies and travel to another place where our mind might take us. There are limitations to what we can do and where we can go. For instance, we need something to transport our bodies from one location to another. We cannot travel in or through space without the help of manmade vehicles and suits because of the heat, cold and pressure to our bodies. I believe our bodies are only meant for this world. They become sick and die. They are only meant to last for a certain period of time. When it dies, the spirit or power source of who we are goes back to God. When God gives us a new body it will be something different,something wonderful. One than is limitless and last forever. We won`t need this skin and bones body that we have now.
But this is all we know. This is all we are aware of. So we cannot imagine anything different. But we trust the creator to create something wonderful and whatever it is,it will be perfect. We are but the clay. God has a body for us that will be perfect for the plan and purpose he has for us. But one thing I am almost certain of in my mind, it will not be a physical body with skeletal bones,flesh,and blood. Those bodies have limitations. Bones break, skin tissue gets sick,skin cells die, flesh gets scratched and burned etc. We will finally get the body we were made for. A glorified spiritual body!

Old 09-23-2009, 10:05 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,132,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justamere10 View Post
We know that spirit bodies are not the same as physical bodies. After the physical body dies, the spirit goes to a world of spirits surrounding this earth that is usually invisible to those who have not yet died.

In the same manner, a resurrected body is not the same as a physical body...
Therefore, Jesus' resurrection was not physical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity