Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 05:17 AM

3,067 posts, read 4,103,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueman_fan1 View Post
Well you heard it ladies. Adultery is okay because Sarah was submissive. Just as long as you ladies are okay with it.
Ahhh, another convert!...
Thanks for joining my side ...

Old 10-14-2009, 05:49 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,170,124 times
Being submissive means that if the husband tells the wife he wants a bj, she should go get him a "bologna" sandwich and a shot of "Jack Daniels".

Old 10-14-2009, 01:53 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,459,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
This type of submitting to authority within the marriage is something that should be seen by all wives as their goal...
I've been somewhat silently following this thread out of what can only be the same sort of horrific interest that people in the Roman Colosseum probably felt just before they voted to have some poor guy executed for not fighting up to their standards. On the one hand, I just want to close my eyes and pretend that the horror isn't there and on the other hand, I'm somewhat magnetically drawn to the puerile suggestions of primitive stupidity and barbarism.

However, in this case, it seems like I'm watching an entirely emasculated and underpowered male psyche seek to find some sort of justification in a primitive book to satiate the part of his life that has been clearly dominated by female authority. Oh, to what lengths must you have been belittled, tortured and teased by those of female authority to find solace in a book written by a society who treated women not even as human beings to encapsulate your thoughts on what a woman should or should not be.

Perhaps it is the obvious latent homosexuality that resides within so many of those who pander to such feelings in an attempt to destroy the more "feminine" side of their persona. Thus, all projections of femininity from within yourself must have a greater feeling of dominance over the woman in your life so as to overcome that weakening and sub-par masculinity you have. This is probably also due to a significant lack of testosterone possibly induced by undersized genitalia (check your SPAM; apparently they have cures for that now).

Or, perhaps it's none of the above and you've lived in a trailer park your entire life where beating women was common and regardless of what the man did, it was always the woman's fault. This, of course, would have it's own roots on the primitive scale of logic probably fostered by meth-smoking alcoholics more concerned with the battery acid and Sudafed than their wife's well being. But, then again, it's hard to distinguish between your infantile digressions of feminine angst and the logic of a trailer park methamphetamine chef.

Either way, I can hardly say I'm impressed with your primitive ejaculations of how and what you think a marriage should be comprised of. I can't say that I feel even the remotest desire to want to assert such a pathetic phrase from such a pathetic society into my married life so as to assert dominance over my wife.

Alas, those who talk about marriage as being one man and one woman never fail to amaze me with their descriptions that resemble more that of one man and a concubine.

Old 10-14-2009, 02:25 PM

595 posts, read 761,839 times
Default Lisa's Post

Wonderful Lisa! Thank you Jesus!
Also the verse before...

Ephesians 5:21
21Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ.
Ephesiana 8:2 At dawn he appeared again in the temple courts, where all the people gathered around him, and he sat down to teach them. 3 The teachers of the law and the Pharisees brought in a woman caught in adultery. They made her stand before the group 4 and said to Jesus, "Teacher, this woman was caught in the act of adultery. 5 In the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women(and men). Now what do you say?" 6 They were using this question as a trap, in order to have a basis for accusing him. But Jesus bent down and started to write on the ground with his finger. 7 When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." 8 Again he stooped down and wrote on the ground. 9 At this, those who heard began to go away one at a time, the older ones first, until only Jesus was left, with the woman still standing there. 10 Jesus straightened up and asked her, "Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?" 11 "No one, sir," she said.
"Then neither do I condemn you," Jesus declared. "Go now and leave your life of sin."
This part blows me away! Where was the man that commited adultery with Mary? Both by God's law were to be stoned to death. They only stated part of the law, like satan did during Jesus' tempatation. Jesus knew the whole trick.
And Jesus allowing the woman Mary to be the first to see him after his ressurection is awesome.

John 8:

Old 10-14-2009, 02:39 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,338,677 times
Although it may come as some surprise that I, as a Catholic, hold women in great esteem.
I know many will think this strange coming from one who's Church will not allow women to be priests. That's another very complicated subject.
Nevertheless, I have recieved some of the best spiritual and religious edification from both religious and lay women.

I believe in both the maternal and paternal nature of God, and each are reflected by man and woman, and both are equally important.

I believe the union of man and woman is a reflection of God, and in a spiritual sense, enriches the spouses.

To say that one is more important than the other, or that one has more authority than the other, contradicts my belief.

However, I do believe that we sexes contribute something unique to the body of Christ, to households, and to society in general. And frankly I prefer the maternal over the paternal.

I think we need to remember who Paul was writing to, and when he wrote it. Things were much different then, and I imagine the male chauvenists of his day were outraged by what he said.

As a Christian, I'm commanded to love my wife as Christ Loves His Church.
That is a very tall order.

Old 10-14-2009, 02:49 PM

661 posts, read 1,183,930 times
Alan, you can take your tongue out of your cheek now.

Old 10-14-2009, 03:00 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,564,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
I know many will think this strange coming from one who's Church will not allow women to be priests. That's another very complicated subject.
Why is it complicated. Is it as easy as what the bible says. I don't see it being complicated but that's off topic.

Old 10-14-2009, 03:45 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,507,948 times
I believe (and hope) that a lot of Alan's posts in this thread are tongue in cheek..I can take a joke..

I have remained silent here, because I do not like to be caught up in arguments over scripture and differences in interpretation..

I must say that for myself, having come out of a "church" that for many years made me feel like I was not worthy of much since I was more or less put here on earth strictly to play second fiddle to my H and the "church" leaders, that this thread brings back some painful memories of being "used" as the butt of many jokes and laughter among male members at the expense of the women.

.It brings back painful memories of being told that I was not "allowed" to teach Sunday School to kids after the age of 12..

It brings back memories of the only out loud prayer I ever said in the rw, at the dinner table when my H was present, and he immediately said another to correct mine..

It took me several years to realize that I am as worthy in the presence/ sight of God as any man, because I believe that he does not make a distinction in our sexes when it comes to worship..We are the members of the body of Christ and have to function in unison and harmony to make the body (the bride/Church) work

As far as who is the head of the house, I believe it is a 50/50 deal with discussion and prayer and more discussion in order to meet a mutual agreement.. Whether the origional thought came from the man or the woman has nothing to do with an intelligent decision.

This is the way a true loving marriage should be..Each one respecting the other. Working together as one does not require one to be "lord and master". That creates a split any way you look at it..

Old 10-14-2009, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringwielder View Post
Alan, you can take your tongue out of your cheek now.
If I ever say anything that is not found in the text, you just let me know...

But so far, I am sticking very close to what the Bible tells us about the Christian duty of women to submit to their husbands, and to remain silent in church...

Anyone care to bet such verses are not found in the Bible?

Cuz you would think with all the nasty comments aimed at me that I surly could not just be quoting the Bible right?

Im mean think about it people:
If you disagree with me but then admit that what Im saying is word for word out of the Bible, then does that not mean your disagreement is with God and not Alan?

Old 10-14-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
As far as who is the head of the house,.
Men are in charge...
Remember the reason God made women?
Women were created as a "helper" for men.

So a woman's job is to help her husband and run the home.
I believe that a mother has authority over the children until they reach of age.

The authority in the home is :
#1 - Husband at the top...He is to be the benevolent dictator.
What he says goes, and his lips are where the law for the home is learned.

# 2 - Woman under him to care for the home and children.

Then comes
# 3 - Children and domesticated livestock.

Female Authority:
I believe a good place to study the role of female authority is found in the Jewish Talmud, a resource that it all too often overlooked in this day.
A mother has authority over a male child until that child reaches the age where he needs to begin to fulfill his role as being "Made in God's image" (perhaps age 12 or so)
at that point the mother moves down a notch in the ranking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.