Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 08:47 PM

33,266 posts, read 26,477,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Sorry, Mike. I'm with jeapostle, kat, preterist, and a bunch of others here. Revelation was fulfilled in the late part of the first century. It was written for those people who were living in the time that was near (70 AD)
As prophecy it has absolutely no relevance today, but if one insists on getting tangled up in it, one should just go for some of the things like "give praise to God". Trying to figure out who the second horseman is, or the little horn, or the ten kings, or the two witnesses or the great w*ore or the scarlet beast is a fool's errand.

There are lots of prophecy pimps out there who are only too happy to take your $$$$$'s to give you their half-baked ideas on what it all means. But I wouldn't put a dimes' worth of trust in anything prophecy pimps have to say about events they claim are going to happen "in the future".

Your position is irrelevant, as is the position of the others you mentioned. It is the reality of the Word of God that matters. If you don't line up with the word of God, you are wrong. And Preterism is wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 08:57 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,533,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Your position is irrelevant, as is the position of the others you mentioned. It is the reality of the Word of God that matters. If you don't line up with the word of God, you are wrong. And Preterism is wrong.
And so were Eusebius and Josephus and others who described these things happening in 70AD.. You want two tribulations, two Jesus' comings, Jerusalem destroyed twice... what else do you see in the bible?

Fact is that there is a system of AntiChrist (meaning opposite of Christ) and not just one dude.

Fact is that Jesus said he put Satan under his feet and that he had already started the kingdom... John himself, in Revelation, says that he is already in the kingdom.

How do you reconcile those things? Rev. 1:5-6 and Luke 10:18 amongst others.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:08 PM

595 posts, read 762,204 times
Thank you L. Funk, so true, Proverbs 9:10

Old 10-17-2009, 09:46 PM

595 posts, read 762,204 times
Quote:
I am at a loss to understand how ANYBODY thinks they can interpret books as bizarre, convoluted, circuitous, Byzantine, muddled, impenetrable, cryptic, and just plain confusing as Daniel and especially Revelation. There are as many different interpretations of these books as there are stars in the galaxy. NO ONE can make heads or tails out of them. I don't blame mercy---she's just parroting the kool-aid given to her over the years by slick, shyster prophecy pimps like Hulk Lindsley, Grand Jeffers, Jerk van Imp and Pimp LaVain who love to fleece gullible Christians of hard-earned $$$'s to finance their extravagant high-flying lifestyles (and by "high-flying" I mean multi-million $$$$$ Lear jets and private 737's they use to wisk them, their families and on occasion their mistresses off to vacations in exotic locations).

You'd have better luck throwing darts at a giant dartboard to get your meanings from Daniel and Revelation than you would reading them. Except for Gabriel's right-on prophecy of Jesus in Chapter 9 of Daniel, the rest of it is just one gigantic sandtrap. Skip them. The alternative is to stay utterly confused or deceived until you die.
I am not saying I myself believe all of this. That is why I said, what do You think? And no-I despise kool-aid and I did not have christian anyone while I was growing up, no religion, no brain washing, no catastrophe that brought me to Christ. And as far as HL,GJ, JVI and PL, I have no interest. Actually I wrote this because all I had seen on the Internet and heard, America is the Beast, the AntiChrist. Ten years ago, the Lord reminded me of how many civilizations are short lived. Some 200-500 years and that was the end of them. They grew, they prospered, they won wars, but didn't last. And eventually killed off. America being only 235 (give or take) years old, could be one of those short civilizations. We could even use the American Indian as an example. And especially if God is not first.
Thanks a million for the reply.

Old 10-17-2009, 10:57 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,931,760 times
Mercy, I hope you did not take my reply with offense. People around here will tell you I get carried away with my verbosity at times. What I was trying to say is that the way you described events

Quote:
At the time of the "seven year covenant," the Antichrist will be forced to negotiate with Israel.. The "seven year covenant" will necessitate an agreement among Arab oil producing countries, to allow the re-establishment of daily sacrifice by the Jewish people. The Antichrist will be forced to recognize Israel as a nation, and will allow the Jewish people to practice their religion by re-establishing daily sacrifice...a coalition of seven "Judeo-Christian" world leaders or kings, allied with the False Prophet (Pope); and ten Arab/Muslim countries, allied with the Antichrist. The seven heads, and ten horns, are kings or countries that will be involved in the empire of the Antichrist. The ten horns, are Islamic kings or countries allied with the Antichrist. Once he gains a percentage of the world's oil, he will control the world. From that point, the Antichrist will direct a One World Government, that will include the Mark of the Beast:

is classic textbook straight out of nearly every prophecy book you can pick up on Christian bookstore prophecy aisles. I followed this stuff from 1970 when I read HL's LGPE in 1970 until this year when the umpteenth rapture date failed. I knew the script backwards and forwards just like you and "parroted" it to anyone who would listen. (forgive me for using that word in my first reply, but I use it freely to describe myself too).

Finally, I started reading up on the rapture and found out it was a purely man-made doctrine based on some deliberately misinterpreted passages from Paul's epistles. Once prophecy pimps latched onto HL's scenario they started embellishing it as the decades passed to fit current events but the basic outline always stayed the same: a rapture, a 7-year peace treaty (covenant) made by some screwball calling himself antichrist running a ten-nation "revived Roman empire", 3 1/2 years of peace, antichrist marches into the temple, stops the sacrifice, sets up a statue of himself that starts talking, false prophet demands that everybody worship antichrist and take 666 or have his head lopped off. 3 1/2 years of hell on earth as God pours out His punishment on mankind, big battle at Armageddon, Jesus comes to stop the battle and set up the Millennial kingdom.

Prophecy pimps to date have made hundreds of millions of $$$$$$'s peddling this nonsense to gullible Christians (not saying you're one) who stuff these swindler's pockets with green to hear the same movie script over and over and over and over again and again. I'm guilty. I was one. I helped make these crooks rich for years buying into their nonsense and helped pay for their 10 million dollar mansions scattered around the globe. I hope you start to get the sense that the people I named (and many, many more) are in this just for the money. They don't really believe this hogwash anymore than they believe in the man in the moon. If they did, they'd be walking the "real" walk instead of just walking to the bank to make their millions in deposits. However, they'll go on selling their baloney and Christians will go on repeating the same scenario decade after decade until we're all dead and a new generation of saps comes along. And so it goes....and so it goes....and so it goes....as it has for 2000 years.

REMEMBER:

EVERY generation since the time of Christ thought they were the chosen generation. That's been documented. God bless you. I hope you consider what I've babbled here yet again.

Old 10-17-2009, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Mercy, I hope you did not take my reply with offense. People around here will tell you I get carried away with my verbosity at times. What I was trying to say is that the way you described events

is classic textbook straight out of nearly every prophecy book you can pick up on Christian bookstore prophecy aisles. I followed this stuff from 1970 when I read HL's LGPE in 1970 until this year when the umpteenth rapture date failed. I knew the script backwards and forwards just like you and "parroted" it to anyone who would listen. (forgive me for using that word in my first reply, but I use it freely to describe myself too).

Finally, I started reading up on the rapture and found out it was a purely man-made doctrine based on some deliberately misinterpreted passages from Paul's epistles. Once prophecy pimps latched onto HL's scenario they started embellishing it as the decades passed to fit current events but the basic outline always stayed the same: a rapture, a 7-year peace treaty (covenant) made by some screwball calling himself antichrist running a ten-nation "revived Roman empire", 3 1/2 years of peace, antichrist marches into the temple, stops the sacrifice, sets up a statue of himself that starts talking, false prophet demands that everybody worship antichrist and take 666 or have his head lopped off. 3 1/2 years of hell on earth as God pours out His punishment on mankind, big battle at Armageddon, Jesus comes to stop the battle and set up the Millennial kingdom.

Prophecy pimps to date have made hundreds of millions of $$$$$$'s peddling this nonsense to gullible Christians (not saying you're one) who stuff these swindler's pockets with green to hear the same movie script over and over and over and over again and again. I'm guilty. I was one. I helped make these crooks rich for years buying into their nonsense and helped pay for their 10 million dollar mansions scattered around the globe. I hope you start to get the sense that the people I named (and many, many more) are in this just for the money. They don't really believe this hogwash anymore than they believe in the man in the moon. If they did, they'd be walking the "real" walk instead of just walking to the bank to make their millions in deposits. However, they'll go on selling their baloney and Christians will go on repeating the same scenario decade after decade until we're all dead and a new generation of saps comes along. And so it goes....and so it goes....and so it goes....as it has for 2000 years.

REMEMBER:

EVERY generation since the time of Christ thought they were the chosen generation. That's been documented. God bless you. I hope you consider what I've babbled here yet again.
Hey~ I have the books and the movies!!! I paid for the fiction not the prophecy.. they are wonderfully written fiction so on that merit alone would the author make money, but that does not mean they are non-fiction!

Anyway... carry on.. just wanted to reiterate that it is when christians take fiction and create a reality from it that is wrong, not when fiction is realized as fiction. I also read lots of Dean Koontz and boy does he have a way with storytelling... but the books are still just fiction.

Old 10-17-2009, 11:43 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,620,379 times
LoL - I thought at first that the thread was called "The anti-christ is already FARMING" as a reference to Matt 13:25 "But while his men were sleeping, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat, and went away".

Truth is - I Need sleep!!!

Old 10-17-2009, 11:45 PM

8,181 posts, read 6,931,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
LoL - I thought at first that the thread was called "The anti-christ is already FARMING" as a reference to Matt 13:25 "But while his men were sleeping, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat, and went away".

Truth is - I Need sleep!!!

Hee!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for the laugh!
that was great.

Old 10-18-2009, 09:04 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,931,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
Sounds like something Mr. van Imp would conjure up in that rapid, breathless rat-tat-tat-style delivery of his:

van Imp: Something interesting came to light the other day. In the Amsterdam Daily Tattler a small item appeared in the lower right hand corner of the front page (holds up little clipping): Farmer with tattoo of 666 on his arm is ripping the weeds out of his backyard garden he claims were sown there by his rowdy neighbors next door to sabotage his summer crop of tomahtoes.
Rex: That's tomatoes, Jaque.
vanImp: Well, you say tomatoes and I say tomahtoes, Tyrannosarus Rex. Anyway, Matt 13;25: But while his men were sleeping, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat, and went away". Fits perfectly. Could this man be the one who will ultimately come to power and rule the European ten-nation confederacy of the revived Roman empire? My new video, which to be truthful folks, is just a rehash of all one hundred videos I've hawked on this show over the last 20 years, is available for just $29.95. In it, I show why this farmer just might be the antichrst. He fits three of the 100 or so criteria that mark the antichrist: he farms, he's got the mark of the beast, and he gets pi*sed off when enemies ruin his garden.
Rex: That's right, Jaque, this video also has beautiful new angles of the Belgium parliament where antichrist will set up his headquarters, blah, blah.....

Quote:
Hey~ I have the books and the movies!!! I paid for the fiction not the prophecy.. they are wonderfully written fiction so on that merit alone would the author make money, but that does not mean they are non-fiction!
Fiction or non-fiction, it's ALL fiction, kat! And I've read Koontz too. At one time I liked him better than Stephen King, but then that was in my "unsaved" days.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:31 AM

Quote:

Fiction or non-fiction, it's ALL fiction, kat! And I've read Koontz too. At one time I liked him better than Stephen King, but then that was in my "unsaved" days.
So now that you are saved you think King is better than Koontz? How dare you !

I read all sorts of books, fiction and non-fiction. I'm reading Ted Dekker's circle trilogy right now... He is also a great author..I believe Perretti and Dekker co-authored House as well which was closer to King than Koontz.

Anyway, just because the author mentions God, the writing style is still the same as King and Koontz... Sci-Fi, Fantasy Fiction.

I just read Koontz' Frankenstein trilogy which was very good too.

Also CS Lewis wrote Sci-Fi Fantasy Fiction and boy was he good with words!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity