Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 11:32 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,212,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
Yes, that is what i believe...
I believe that at the 2nd coming that Jesus will appear on the clouds, and that everyone will see him ...
So with that being said....why don't you believe Jesus when He told the Apostles it would happen in their generation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2009, 01:11 PM

3,067 posts, read 4,103,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
in their generation?
There were two different questions that Jesus seems to have been dealing with at the same time.

There was this question about the bricks of the Jewish temple being tossed down.
And there is the general question about his return at the end of the world.

I believe from the way Jesus is asked this set of questions that the reason such questions were collected into the single bunch is that the people considered the way Jesus talked about the bricks of the Temple being pulled down (And knowing their weight and their great size) that this was seen as Jesus talking about the end of the world.

The only image they had of the temple being ripped apart would be for it to happen at Armageddon, and that it would take angels to do it (or something like angels.)

So the answer Jesus gave in this case dealt with the two different questions, and you do see how His answer was dealing with the two questions at more or less the same time.

Was his answer a lot more clear in person that it reads on paper?
Perhaps....

Is the answer we read on paper showing the signs of being squeezed into this form from a different form?
Again perhaps.

Old 10-24-2009, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
There were two different questions that Jesus seems to have been dealing with at the same time.

There was this question about the bricks of the Jewish temple being tossed down.
And there is the general question about his return at the end of the world.

I believe from the way Jesus is asked this set of questions that the reason such questions were collected into the single bunch is that the people considered the way Jesus talked about the bricks of the Temple being pulled down (And knowing their weight and their great size) that this was seen as Jesus talking about the end of the world.

The only image they had of the temple being ripped apart would be for it to happen at Armageddon, and that it would take angels to do it (or something like angels.)

So the answer Jesus gave in this case dealt with the two different questions, and you do see how His answer was dealing with the two questions at more or less the same time.

Was his answer a lot more clear in person that it reads on paper?
Perhaps....

Is the answer we read on paper showing the signs of being squeezed into this form from a different form?
Again perhaps.

Mt 24:3 As He was sitting on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to Him privately, saying, "Tell us, when will these things happen, and what will be the sign of Your coming, and of the end of the age?"

Mark 13:4 Tell us, when will these things be, and what will be the sign when all these things are going to be fulfilled?

Luke 21:7 They questioned Him, saying, "Teacher, when therefore will these things happen? And what will be the sign when these things are about to take place?"

There was no "world" ending other than the Judaic "world"...that age ended in the 1st century and will never be again. We are now in the era or age of the Everlasting Gospel that will never end.

Perhaps you should go back and read each verse in context....the Apostles asked Jesus when the temple would be destroyed and what would be the sign that he was coming to destroy it. As we know from 1st century history...all of these things were completely fulfilled just as Jesus said they would be.

Also I will suggest you peruse the OT to enlighten yourself on the use of figurative judgment language. This same exact language is used in the gospel as well as Revelation...and was never meant to be taken "literally" by us. They certainly understood the meaning of it because they had heard it many times before.

Old 10-24-2009, 02:05 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,440,687 times
Some of us choose to believe-every-single-word-that proceedeth out of His mouth without questions...........just because, He is the Lord of all and CANNOT LIE! If HE said it, it is so! Whether we can wrap our minds around it or not, doesn't make it a lie. Yes, the book of REVELATION and all.......all of it!

For I am the LORD, I change not;...Malachi 3:6:
I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. John 14:6:
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and today, and forever. Hebrews 13:8:

Truth, and unchanging........................................ ..Final Answer!!

Old 10-24-2009, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
Some of us choose to believe-every-single-word-that proceedeth out of His mouth without questions...........just because, He is the Lord of all and CANNOT LIE! If HE said, it is so! Whether we can wrap our minds around it or not, doesn't make it a lie. Yes, the book of REVELATION and all.......all of it!

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. John 14:6:

And that answered the OP......how?

Old 10-24-2009, 02:10 PM

Quote:
And that answered the OP......how?
Are we referring to this question ChristyGrl:

I'm am just really and seriously curious about something...why is it that "literalists" take a book of symbols (Revelation), read it "literally" and espouse that those "literal" things are going to happen?

Is that a yes?

Old 10-24-2009, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Are we referring to this question ChristyGrl:

I'm am just really and seriously curious about something...why is it that "literalists" take a book of symbols (Revelation), read it "literally" and espouse that those "literal" things are going to happen?

Is that a yes?
NO......That is only part of it....now address the verses that Jesus spoke to His Apostles....the verses where Jesus told the Apostles His return would occur in "their" generation not ours.

Old 10-24-2009, 02:17 PM

And you are asking how does this below:

Some of us choose to believe-every-single-word-that proceedeth out of His mouth without questions...........just because, He is the Lord of all and CANNOT LIE! If HE said, it is so! Whether we can wrap our minds around it or not, doesn't make it a lie. Yes, the book of REVELATION and all.......all of it!

Answers this below:

Again:

He cannot lie, cannot. If he says it's gonna happen, it's going to happen. It all boils down to believing doesn't it? I know. We either believe, or we don't.

Old 10-24-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
NO......That is only part of it....now address the verses that Jesus spoke to His Apostles....the verses where Jesus told the Apostles His return would occur in "their" generation not ours.
No... it's been "discussed", "addressed", and "dissected", time and time again and in my opinion: (remember, my opinion) NOTHING'S going to be the "right answer" to you, only that of which YOU choose to hear.

Old 10-24-2009, 02:25 PM

Quote:
No... it's been "discussed", "addressed", and "dissected", time and time again and in my opinion: (remember, my opinion) NOTHING'S going to be the "right answer" to you, only that of which YOU choose to hear.
Are you professing belief that Christ came back in the 1st century like He said He would?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity