Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 12:02 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,201,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom
With all due respect, the Mother of Christ never died, she received the promise of transfiguration/translation. She overcame sin.

She is One with God.

godspeed,

freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
Can you please provide a scripture reference for this fact? I've studied long and hard and have yet to find this in the bible....anywhere.
That's because this nonsense is not in the Bible.

Old 12-09-2009, 12:04 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,122,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post

Mark,

See my response above--it is part of the tradition of the Catholic Church--the very institution that gave you the Bible:

In 397 AD, the Catholic Church gave a definitive decision as to which writings and books should be admitted into the Bible and which should be rejected, and every book which is in the Protestant New Testament today, was put there by Pope Siricus and the Catholic Bishops in the year 397 AD If Christ had intended that men should learn Christianity from the New Testament, what about the hundreds who lived before the first Bible was given to the world by the Catholic Church? Luther's Protestant Bible came out 1520 and before his Bible the Catholic Bible had been translated into Spanish, Italian, Danish, French, Norwegian, Polish, Bohemian, Hungarian and English, there was exactly 104 editions in Latin; 38 editions in German language, 25 editions in Italian language, 18 in French. In all 626 editions of the Bible with 198 in the language of the laity, had been edited before the fist Protestant Bible was sent forth into the world.

Read more....

http://www.marianland.com/truech01.html

Old 12-09-2009, 12:14 PM

381 posts, read 799,939 times
R C Sproll, of Ligonier ministries, maintains that the catholic church teaches that mary is a "co redemptrix" and that they elevate her to that level. Of course, that is totally non biblical, so where does his theology make that case for anyone familiar with this noted bible scholar?

Old 12-09-2009, 12:50 PM

26 posts, read 45,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
Does it offend you that they hold Mary (THE MOTHER OF JESUS) in high esteem.

If you read the history of Mary, you will see that she was without stain or sin.
She was delivered to the temple as a young child, I believe 4 or 5 yrs. old.

She was ministered daily by God's Angels.

godspeed,

freedom
Where does it say that at?

Old 12-09-2009, 12:59 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,222,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post

I'm fully aware of that and just waiting for him to admit it.

Old 12-09-2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingSpires View Post
Mark,

See my response above--it is part of the tradition of the Catholic Church--the very institution that gave you the Bible:

In 397 AD, the Catholic Church gave a definitive decision as to which writings and books should be admitted into the Bible and which should be rejected, and every book which is in the Protestant New Testament today, was put there by Pope Siricus and the Catholic Bishops in the year 397 AD If Christ had intended that men should learn Christianity from the New Testament, what about the hundreds who lived before the first Bible was given to the world by the Catholic Church? Luther's Protestant Bible came out 1520 and before his Bible the Catholic Bible had been translated into Spanish, Italian, Danish, French, Norwegian, Polish, Bohemian, Hungarian and English, there was exactly 104 editions in Latin; 38 editions in German language, 25 editions in Italian language, 18 in French. In all 626 editions of the Bible with 198 in the language of the laity, had been edited before the fist Protestant Bible was sent forth into the world.

Read more....

Thank you for admitting that it is man's tradition and not a teaching from God.

Old 12-09-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Thank you for admitting that it is man's tradition and not a teaching from God.
Christy,

I have "admitted" no such thing--I have merely explained the source of the teaching.

From the Catholic point of view, the Assumption is a "teaching from God" insofar as the Catholic Church cannot err when it teachers in matters of "Faith and Morals."

So from a Catholic point of view, it is indeed a "teaching from God."

I realize that you are not Catholic, and that your Rule of Faith, sola scriptura, is different from mine.

Old 12-09-2009, 01:54 PM

1,315 posts, read 1,870,907 times
Quote:
Mark,

Read more....

John 14:23Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him. 24He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me.

Since the writing of the four Gospels, those that were living at the time of Christ, kept His words.

Acts 11: 25Then departed Barnabas to Tarsus, for to seek Saul: 26And when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.

Antioch was the city where the Received Text came from. The above and below references with the fact that the Received Text came from there, certainly proves the loyalty of those disciples in the keeping of His Words.

Acts 15: 22Then pleased it the apostles and elders with the whole church, to send chosen men of their own company to Antioch with Paul and Barnabas; namely, Judas surnamed Barsabas and Silas, chief men among the brethren: 23And they wrote letters by them after this manner; The apostles and elders and brethren send greeting unto the brethren which are of the Gentiles in Antioch and Syria and Cilicia...... 30So when they were dismissed, they came to Antioch: and when they had gathered the multitude together, they delivered the epistle: 31Which when they had read, they rejoiced for the consolation.

So not only were epistles were being kept up, but the holy scriptures for references as well.

2 Timothy 4: 12And Tychicus have I sent to Ephesus. 13The cloke that I left at Troas with Carpus, when thou comest, bring with thee, and the books, but especially the parchments.

Romans 1: 1Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ, called to be an apostle, separated unto the gospel of God, 2(Which he had promised afore by his prophets in the holy scriptures,) 3Concerning his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the seed of David according to the flesh;

Romans 15: 4For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.

Romans 16: 25Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began, 26But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith: 27To God only wise, be glory through Jesus Christ for ever. Amen.

1 Corinthians 15: 1Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; 2By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. 3For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; 4And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: 5And that he was seen of Cephas, then of the twelve: 6After that, he was seen of above five hundred brethren at once; of whom the greater part remain unto this present, but some are fallen asleep.

2 Timothy 3: 14But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them; 15And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. 16All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 17That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

The availability of the scriptures and the epistles were also accessible to those that err.

2 Peter 3:15And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you; 16As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction. 17Ye therefore, beloved, seeing ye know these things before, beware lest ye also, being led away with the error of the wicked, fall from your own stedfastness.

Just because modern society can only assume when the earliest "Bible" was compiled, doesn't mean it wasn't done earlier. The fact that Codexes have been found, should suggests what the scriptures plainly states: the Bible .. of the holy scriptures, the four gospels with the epistles... have been compiled and used by those that kept His words for they loved Him.

So no, the RCC is not solely responsible for the King James Bible as the Textus Receptus are the documents kept at Antioch: not the RCC.

The RCC has a belief that only they can correctly interpret the scriptures and thus leads to credence regarding that the RCC originally had tried to keep the Bible out of the hands of the populace. It would make their "job" so much easier in putting down false teachings in their eyes.

But God has given an invitation to come to Him through the Son to have that personal reconciled relationship with God. We are to go to Him in prayer and no one else for it is by the Son, we have access to the Father to pray to. We are to go to Jesus for the forgiveness of sins, not to a priest as He is faithful in forgiving us of our sins and to cleanse us from ALL unrighteousness. 1 John 1:9 We are to go to Jesus for help in understanding His words as He seeks to lead us personally as the Good Shepherd He is as the just shall live by faith in Him.

Jesus did not give any other invitation in having that relationship with God through except to Himself. Indeed, to avoid false prohets and false spirits, the indwellingHoly Spirit and the correct scriptures are still pointing to Jesus Christ as the church should be doing as the Holy Spirit is. ( John 5:39-40 & John 16:13-14 & John 15:26-27).

If we hold to the belief that the RCC is the church, then we have to heed Jesus' warning about false prophets coming in broadening the way ( Matthew 7:13-27 & Luke 13:24-30) )in going around Jesus ( John 10:1)and placing someone inbetween us and Jesus as a go to person in having that relationship with God (John 10:7-9). Believers that hear Him shall cut out the extras place there by the RCC and go to Jesus directly in prayer for the forgiveness of sins and for worship in having that relationship with God. The fellowship in teh church should have no other name up there with Jesus Christ at all for it is His name that is above every other name.

1 Corinthians 2:2For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified.

John 5:39Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me. 40And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life.

John 7: 18He that speaketh of himself seeketh his own glory: but he that seeketh his glory that sent him, the same is true, and no unrighteousness is in him.

2 Corinthians 4:5For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord; and ourselves your servants for Jesus' sake. 6For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 7But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us.

It is obvious that the the glory of the RCC is being seen as unrighteousness in the eyes of God. False prophets can corrupt the church, but those that hear His voice, follow Him: not the crowd.

Let us all lean on the Lord for the answers we seek as well as the wisdom we need for discernment in the reading and applying of His words as we trust Jesus to be Our Good Shepherd personally to lead us in the way we ought to go.

And honouring Mary has hardly been mentioned in any of the epistles as a practise to do. As much as the RCC has made a big deal about Mary which was later on as the doctrines of Mary was developed over time, not since the beginning of the RCC, no one can say that the RCC is the same as it was in the early church days for they had kept His words for they loved Him. Seems the RCC is willing to share that first love with others. That is hardly being a chaste bride for the Bridegroom.

Oh, and the RCC is not the only denomenation that has gone astray in regards to relating to God only through Jesus Christ.

Every believer should take note: John 14:6 means what He has said.

This concludes the history of the keeping of His words and why all invitations points to Jesus Christ and no one else and nowhere else.

Old 12-09-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Christy,

I have "admitted" no such thing--I have merely explained the source of the teaching.

From the Catholic point of view, the Assumption is a "teaching from God" insofar as the Catholic Church cannot err when it teachers in matters of "Faith and Morals."

So from a Catholic point of view, it is indeed a "teaching from God."

I realize that you are not Catholic, and that your Rule of Faith, sola scriptura, is different from mine.
I am an ex-Catholic....God has released me from the false traditions/doctrines of men and I now only follow what God reveals to me as TRUTH.

Old 12-09-2009, 02:04 PM

Quote:
I am an ex-Catholic....God has released me from the false traditions/doctrines of men and I now only follow what God reveals to me as TRUTH.
Christy,

Are you a member of a particular denomination?

Do you agree with the Nicene Creed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.