Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2010, 08:05 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,564,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
One might argue that God still loves you even after you lose your salvation. I mean, "God loves the world", so he loves even the ones who are not saved. Love and salvation does not necessarily mean the same thing. I think it was Pastor Dave Jeromiah on Moody radio who made that argument once.
That is true

God does love the world but God has a different kind of love for His elect. It is a saving love. When God saves you He will never let you go. God went after Peter. Jesus said, I have not lost not one that you gave me.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:11 AM

702 posts, read 961,505 times
Quote:
I want to study theology through an on-line program, but the ones I have found are very expensive (18K). I will keep looking because I believe God has something in store for me, but first I need to 'put on the armor', and in this case specifically the 'sword of the Spirit , which is the word of God'.
I recommend Puritan Reformed Theological Seminary. You can audit a course there for only $40 or even take online courses without having to go through an acceptance process--if you're not going for a degree. Their tuition rates are lower than usual for a seminary. Their web site is http://www.puritanseminary.org.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:27 AM

1,837 posts, read 4,149,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
How is posting what someone wrote in a book gossip???? These are words that Charles Stanley, himself, wrote in a book that is sold to the public. Perhaps you should look up the word gossip and find out what it means because I believe you are a little confused.....what you're accusing Harold of is not gossip.
Gossip is talking about someone in a negative way without them there to defend themselves or give a word. Their are those on this forum and especially this thread that are constantly pointing fingers at people and even saying that those people are false teachers, not of God, etc. If this isn't gossip than I don't know what is.

It offends me Christygirl because Charles Stanley is now a little old man who have lived his life preaching the word for several decades. He is close to living out the last days and he is Godly man. He has probably brought many to Christ, encouraged thousands and had much fruit resulting from his ministry. Many people love him and gain much from his teaching. Is every teacher perfect? No!! But of course the legalistic Christian without sin in their life probably believe their leaders are perfect as well.

Bottom line: if people don't believe something that a teacher is teaching or a preacher is preaching they need to email or call that person and take it up with them.. To bash a Christian representative on a public forum is just wrong... Especially when one calls themself a perfect Christian without sin. If people are going to say that they don't have sin in their life they better be careful because everyone is watching.

In fact, I am rather sick and tired of this legalistic ranting on this thread and hopefully June will close it down soon because I have had enough and I am sure I am not the only one.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raelyn28 View Post
Gossip is talking about someone in a negative way without them there to defend themselves or give a word. Their are those on this forum and especially this thread that are constantly pointing fingers at people and even saying that those people are false teachers, not of God, etc. If this isn't gossip than I don't know what is.

I beg to differ. Gossip is something said that canot be substanciated or even if the story is legit, it's the heart or the intent of spreading the information such as jokes, entertainment etc...

I don't have a problem with calling out false prophets in fact the bible calls for us to. My argument is if you are going to do it make sure you have the right heart and that you have your story straight, taking 3 lines from a sermon is unfair and is very likely misrepresenting the true message that was given. Show the whole sermon or the whole video.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:53 AM

1,837 posts, read 4,149,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
I beg to differ. Gossip is something said that canot be substanciated or even if the story is legit, it's the heart or the intent of spreading the information such as jokes, entertainment etc...

I don't have a problem with calling out false prophets in fact the bible calls for us to. My argument is if you are going to do it make sure you have the right heart and that you have your story straight, taking 3 lines from a sermon is unfair and is very likely misrepresenting the true message that was given. Show the whole sermon or the whole video.
You are right Fundy with the last paragraph, but I still feel that talking behind someone's back in a negative way is rude. I will then call it "talking smack". It is kind of like whispering in someone's ear. It is disrespectful, especially toward a man of God... That type of behavior only makes me not believe in the message of the one doing it because to me it is a lack of love and hypocritical.

I used to judge a certain Christian evangelist on TV and God one day told me to STOP. He did it in a very strong way too... I asked God to forgive me and I have never judged him again. As far as calling out false prophets you better make sure you are correct because if one isn't a false prophet you are calling out God's elect??

Last edited by Raelyn28; 01-13-2010 at 09:02 AM..

Old 01-13-2010, 08:57 AM

Quote:
You are right Fundy with the last paragraph, but I still feel that talking behind someone's back in a negative way is gossip. It is kind of like whispering in someone's ear. It is rude and disrespectful especially toward a man of God... That type of behavior only makes me not believe in the message of the one doing it..if you know what I mean.

I used to judge a certain Christian evangelist on TV and God one day told me to STOP. He did it in a very strong way too... I have never judged again...
I agree that is why I said, it's the intent of the heart that makes it gossip.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:05 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times
Quote:
One might argue that God still loves you even after you lose your salvation. I mean, "God loves the world", so he loves even the ones who are not saved. Love and salvation does not necessarily mean the same thing. I think it was Pastor Dave Jeromiah on Moody radio who made that argument once.
There is no argument about it whatsoever as far i am concerned , Salvation for all men was demonstrated at Calvary and whatsmore He did what what we could not do as the following passage clearly states and that is find the power from within our own self to obtain salvation (and oddly enough orthodox christianity thinks their faith is the power)

6You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. 7Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous man, though for a good man someone might possibly dare to die. 8But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

9This is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance 10(and for this we labor and strive), that we have put our hope in the living God, who is the Savior of all men, and especially of those who believe.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:17 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
Tell that to Judas:

John 17:12 While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name: those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition; that the scripture might be fulfilled.
Just like trettep said "Do you think He lost One ?"

Do you really believe the Spirit of God within you is telling you that there are those who are beyond His reach ?.

I had someone tell me a few years back that they were having a conversation with someone and they told me that the Lord had shown them that the person they was in conversation with was lost forever , the verse of scripture he used was the verse those who believe in eternal torment love to use "Depart from me for i never knew you".

Christy i am right in saying you have had an about turn in your belief ?

Old 01-13-2010, 09:52 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jremy View Post
I recommend Puritan Reformed Theological Seminary. You can audit a course there for only $40 or even take online courses without having to go through an acceptance process--if you're not going for a degree. Their tuition rates are lower than usual for a seminary. Their web site is PRTS
I'll check it out. Thanks.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:56 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,374,689 times
Quote:
...In fact, I am rather sick and tired of this legalistic ranting on this thread and hopefully June will close it down soon because I have had enough and I am sure I am not the only one.
If only for my own benefit because I am not a well learned man in the ways of the world, please explain to me what you mean by "legalistic ranting" and provide some examples from posts in this thread so I can better understand what you intended to convey, thanks.

(P.S. Quite frankly I am surprised that you want to have a thread that was started by a person whom you obviously admire greatly shut down by moderators. Could it be because, with perhaps a few exceptions such as yourself, the notions he promotes are not well received by others who are probably just as sincere and just as familiar with the bible as he is?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.