Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2010, 07:03 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,374,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
...God made himself real to me straight from atheism and maybe that's actually a good thing. I love Him, He loves me and - what else is there? AISI - this is life eternal.

I hope all this makes some sense to some of you guys.
Good heartfelt post firstborn. You're right, I think there is much too much arguing over the scholar-created letter of the law things that divide Christian denominations and not enough sincere telling of personal assurances that God lives and Jesus is the Christ, I know that because...

Old 01-13-2010, 07:20 AM

3,532 posts, read 6,424,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Thanks Raelyn. Many people don't seem to understand grace. Others simply reject it in favor of their own works. There's pride involved. Not to mention self righteous legalistic religious arrogance. '' Look at 'Me'. I am good enough to impress God with MY righteousness and earn my way into Heaven.'' And there is no getting through to these people.

Still, there are those who will respond to the truth when it is given to them. And is it for them that I have posted this.
Amen Mike. How dare any of us think that we can leap frog over the finished work of Jesus Christ to get to God in heaven. The whole point is that God is going to get the Glory, NOT US. It's not even about us in the first place. That's why it only takes an act of God to save us and God the father does the drawing to Him, God the Son died on the cross, and God the Holy Spirit pricks our hearts to help us realize how much of a filthy rag we truly are, and that we are most definitely in need of a savior.

When you really think about it, could you imagine in heaven people going around and asking others how did you get into heaven? What did you do? Oh no that is not fair, I lived this type of life and didn't commit the top 10 sins, and you mean to tell me that you lived a worse life than me, and got into heaven? So, to me it makes perfect sense, since God is perfect for Him to save us ONLY BY GRACE, THROUGH OUR FAITH IN HIS SON. WE CAN'T WORK FOR IT, WE CAN'T PAY FOR IT, AND WE DEFINITELY CAN'T NEGOTIATE SALVATION EITHER.

You are right ON POINT; I HAVE BEEN BLESSED BY YOUR THREAD, and praise God that HE, through the Holy Spirit, guided you to the truth.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:22 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,211,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I am neither for or against either side of the argument, my security is in Him not a doctrine , but i guess i am not a son of God in your eyes , because through the years i have met believers who turned their backs on the Lord yet to return to Him through Him never giving up on them.

The wonderful thing about the grace of God is , it's unmerited and if you turn your back on it , it will shine on your back .

The scriptures tell us nothing shall seperate us from the love of God .
But he's not speaking of one who turns away and turns back....I agree with you on that....one can turn back to the Lord and be saved. He's speaking of one who outright rejects and doesn't turn back.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:29 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
But he's not speaking of one who turns away and turns back....I agree with you on that....one can turn back to the Lord and be saved. He's speaking of one who outright rejects and doesn't turn back.
Well i believe the will of God is greater than the will of man , and that no one turns to the Lord on their own accord , whether you are a new believer, or backsliden so far that you are out the reach of all but God.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:43 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,564,901 times
Quote:
No it's not, it's a witness within me .Just like King David said from the innermost part of his being "The Lord is my Shepherd". This from a man who committed adultery and murder.
That might be the case but it is what O.S.A.S. is based on.

(Romans 8:38–39)
38 For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39 neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Well i believe the will of God is greater than the will of man , and that no one turns to the Lord on their own accord , whether you are a new believer, or backsliden so far that you are out the reach of all but God.
Tell that to Judas:

John 17:12 While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name: those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition; that the scripture might be fulfilled.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:45 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
- yet you guys are (mostly) talking about having to understand certain doctrines and believe/act certain ways to be 'saved' when all along being 'saved' actually simply means to be healed of our spiritual disease.
I think everyone understands and is in agreement about the main message about salvation, and there are just some disagreements over some denominational teachings over some aspects of it. It's good to read threads like this to learn the angles.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:49 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,374,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
...I struggle making up my mind about what and who to believe when it comes to understnading the Bible. It is written in such summarized and mysterious way, that is very difficult. Luckily we all agree on the basic message, and only argue over the details. I want to study theology through an on-line program, but the ones I have found are very expensive (18K). I will keep looking because I believe God has something in store for me, but first I need to 'put on the armor', and in this case specifically the 'sword of the Spirit , which is the word of God'.
I think it vitally important for each of us in these exciting last days to have and to cling unshaken to a PERSONAL individual testimony of our very own that Jesus is the Christ and that he will not fail us nor forsake us if we will only put our whole trust in him and keep as best we can all of God's commandments.

I think we may soon be faced with not only heightened social, political, and natural turmoil and tribulation, but also with great miracles, even fire called down from the sky, wrought by Satan and his devotees as their time is short and they go all out to sway even the very elect if they can to their side, miracles that are not explainable within our own current knowledge of how to work natural laws, but miracles that have nothing to do with salvation unless we fall for them and move off of the strait and narrow pathway home. Some of those miracles may be from heaven for heavenly purposes, but many may not be...

I think we should not allow ourselves ever to be persuaded to follow strange paths or false christs and leaders by seeing miracles and signs, but be anchored instead to the hopefully already well-established still small voice of personal revelation and quiet knowing that is often accompanied (so we know it's from God) by the infusion into our entire being of the pure love and peace and joy of Jesus Christ via God's Holy Spirit.

Such should be the blessed state of those who are sincere followers of Jesus Christ of all denominations or none at all who are doing their best to love one another, to tolerate a diversity of opinions and organized regulations, to keep all of God's commandments as best they can, and to hold fast always to the truths God Himself by His Holy Spirit has revealed to us personally as we humbly approached Him in sincere fasting and prayer, asking to know from Him our place and our duty.

However God speaks to us as an individual, however it is that we've come to truly know Him and His righteousness, I think it important that we cling to that spirit ever tighter as good people fall all around us, persuaded by miracles and signs that have everything to do with the natural powers of this world, and nothing to do with salvation.

I am convinced that God does have specific tasks for each of us to carry out in these the final times of this world. Be true I say, be faithful, not to scholars and things that tease and tempt the intellect, but be true, be faithful to GOD!

(Just a mere homily to start yet another beautiful day to rejoice and be glad, and watchful in. If you like it, pass it along...)

Last edited by justamere10; 01-13-2010 at 08:10 AM..

Old 01-13-2010, 07:52 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
The scriptures tell us nothing shall seperate us from the love of God .
One might argue that God still loves you even after you lose your salvation. I mean, "God loves the world", so he loves even the ones who are not saved. Love and salvation does not necessarily mean the same thing. I think it was Pastor Dave Jeromiah on Moody radio who made that argument once.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
One might argue that God still loves you even after you lose your salvation. I mean, "God loves the world", so he loves even the ones who are not saved. Love and salvation does not necessarily mean the same thing. I think it was Pastor Dave Jeromiah on Moody radio who made that argument once.
BINGO!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.