Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 03:14 AM

13,637 posts, read 10,040,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleHeart View Post
Please do not get defensive or upset with what I am about to tell you, because the first step to avoid depression is to take full responsibility. The truth I am about to say will hurt many people and even some people will get furious with rage. That is because people cannot humbly admit they are coveting sinners and want to blame everyone else for their own created misery.

All you people here who suffer "depression" keep in depression because you LOOK FOR AN EXCUSE to be depressed and need justification so you BLAME something out of your control INSTEAD of taking the blame and admitting you are 'depressed' because you COVET and are ungrateful for what you have!

Pharmaceutical companies and doctors and the medical association saw an opportunity to profit. What is called COVETING is now being medicalised and turned into a disease.

I was once told I had "depression" and they gave me medication! THEN ONE DAY I awoke and took full blame and stopped blaming something out of my control! And I began to habitually train my FOCUS and thoughts to what I'm GRATEFUL for and stopped coveting! And ever since, I am feeling HAPPY.

Happiness is something you design and happiness is a choice.

Depression is also a choice, chosen by selfish people who demand everything in life and are never happy with anything they have. They want more and more and more. They want a different life, a different career, a different partner, a different house, different friends, more money, more fame, more success etc etc. It's called COVETING and COVETING contributes to an ungrateful and depressed spirit!

"Chemical imbalance" is just a medicalised term they give people who covet and are ungrateful.

And Bible says: "Happy is he who keeps the Commandments of God." So those who claim to be "depressed" you will always find are the people who break God's Commandments willfully, and don't even try to keep them.

Abraham Lincoln once said: "A person is about as happy as they make up their minds to be." He went on to say: "If a person doesn't have the right outlook on life, you and another 100 like you, won't make them happy"

Those of you here that NEED a justification and excuse for your COVETING, STOP IT, REPENT and take FULL responsibility for it! There is NO SUCH thing as "depression" that you can blame for your ungrateful and coveting spirits.

REPENT and begin to be grateful for what you already have been blessed with. That's why Bible says: "DO NOT COVET". It's a Commandment for a reason!

You will find every single time when someone claims to be "depressed" that they are unhappy with their current life! They wish they were someone else, or lived in a different and better place, and were better off etc. That's called COVETING and that's why they feel unhappy, because they are ungrateful for what they have and wish they had more.

You are a human being who covets and ungrateful for what you already have! That's why you are unhappy, not because of something out of your control called "mental illness" or "chemical imbalance".

If someone rang you today and told you you have just won $10,000,000. I wonder if you would still be "depressed". Think about it!

STOP blaming things other than yourself!!!

It all comes down to WILLFUL COVETING! No wonder God commanded us, "DO NOT COVET".
This theory may be true for some so called Christians.
Coveting is only a problem for those that otherwise follow rules.
In my experience, those that lie, cheat, and steal, and generally do as they wish, get everything that they want, and are therefore never really depressed.
Much wrongly directed jealousy and anger though.
I have no time to covet, whilst in the pit of misery.

Old 07-28-2010, 04:34 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,627,655 times
Quote:
Please do not get defensive or upset with what I am about to tell you, because the first step to avoid depression is to take full responsibility. The truth I am about to say will hurt many people and even some people will get furious with rage. That is because people cannot humbly admit they are coveting sinners and want to blame everyone else for their own created misery.

All you people here who suffer "depression" keep in depression because you LOOK FOR AN EXCUSE to be depressed and need justification so you BLAME something out of your control INSTEAD of taking the blame and admitting you are 'depressed' because you COVET and are ungrateful for what you have!

Pharmaceutical companies and doctors and the medical association saw an opportunity to profit. What is called COVETING is now being medicalised and turned into a disease.

I was once told I had "depression" and they gave me medication! THEN ONE DAY I awoke and took full blame and stopped blaming something out of my control! And I began to habitually train my FOCUS and thoughts to what I'm GRATEFUL for and stopped coveting! And ever since, I am feeling HAPPY.

Depression is also a choice, chosen by selfish people who demand everything in life and are never happy with anything they have. They want more and more and more. They want a different life, a different career, a different partner, a different house, different friends, more money, more fame, more success etc etc. It's called COVETING and COVETING contributes to an ungrateful and depressed spirit!

"Chemical imbalance" is just a medicalised term they give people who covet and are ungrateful.

And Bible says: "Happy is he who keeps the Commandments of God." So those who claim to be "depressed" you will always find are the people who break God's Commandments willfully, and don't even try to keep them.

Abraham Lincoln once said: "A person is about as happy as they make up their minds to be." He went on to say: "If a person doesn't have the right outlook on life, you and another 100 like you, won't make them happy"

Those of you here that NEED a justification and excuse for your COVETING, STOP IT, REPENT and take FULL responsibility for it! There is NO SUCH thing as "depression" that you can blame for your ungrateful and coveting spirits.

REPENT and begin to be grateful for what you already have been blessed with. That's why Bible says: "DO NOT COVET". It's a Commandment for a reason!

You will find every single time when someone claims to be "depressed" that they are unhappy with their current life! They wish they were someone else, or lived in a different and better place, and were better off etc. That's called COVETING and that's why they feel unhappy, because they are ungrateful for what they have and wish they had more.

You are a human being who covets and ungrateful for what you already have! That's why you are unhappy, not because of something out of your control called "mental illness" or "chemical imbalance".

If someone rang you today and told you you have just won $10,000,000. I wonder if you would still be "depressed". Think about it!

It all comes down to WILLFUL COVETING! No wonder God commanded us, "DO NOT COVET".
WHOA!! Excuse me??? You're right, this is a big load of **** and it has infuriated me. Let me tell you something PurpleHeart, you don't have one clue what you are talking about. How dare you come in here and make such awful claims when someone is at the lowest point in their lives!!!

I'm sick of this...people sitting in judgment when they have absolutely NO IDEA what they are talking about. This should be voted the most stupid and ignorant post on C-D....EVER. Let me tell you a little story, and then you can sit in judgment of me all you like.

I have Type I Bipolar disorder, which means I have severe and extreme depressive and manic episodes. It's also referred to as "manic-depression". I am the worst case scenario and if I were looking at you in person I would punch you right in the nose. No qualms about it until after the fact.

My life has been a living hell. It all started when I was about 12 and I did not get diagnosed until I was 44 years old. I will spare you the details because there's not enough time and space here at C-D to go into that. But let me just run down the the "symptoms" for you. These symptoms, every last one of them, apply to me.

Snippet:

Symptoms & Types

Bipolar is a complex illness. There are many different symptoms -- and several different types -- of bipolar disorder. The primary symptoms of the disorder are dramatic and unpredictable mood swings. The various types of bipolar disorder range from mild to severe.
Symptoms

Bipolar Symptoms
The primary symptoms of bipolar disorder are dramatic and unpredictable mood swings.
Mania Symptoms
Mania symptoms may include excessive happiness, excitement, irritability, restlessness, increased energy, less need for sleep, racing thoughts, high sex drive, and a tendency to make grand and unattainable plans.
Depression Symptoms
Depression symptoms may include sadness, anxiety, irritability, loss of energy, uncontrollable crying, change in appetite causing weight loss or gain, increased need for sleep, difficulty making decisions, and thoughts of death or suicide.

Link:http://www.webmd.com/bipolar-disorder/guide/bipolar-1-disorder

So you still think you know it all? That "depression" is just coveting? Think again my friend, when your life is going just fine but you still want to kill yourself then something is wrong and it ain't "coveting". When you exhaust family, friends and yourself in a manic episode that is the epitome of Jekyll and Hyde.....you still think that's coveting? Have you ever visited a mental hospital? Maybe you should. But they're all just there cause they're coveting right? Or it's all in their heads. Boy I wish I had a nickle for everytime I heard that.

I hope you EDUCATE yourself about the real problems of mental illness. Just because you're not affected by it doesn't mean that it's not real. And I also hope that people like BECLAZONE ignore your post and can see how asinine it is. Well I guess the ignorance continues. But when I see something like your post I am more than happy to educate.

And just let me say that no amount of "religion" can stop depression or bipolar disorder. Don't you think that I have prayed for healing? Do you think I got it? NO. So what would God have me do? The next best thing, which is to get diagnosed and take the medication that HE has provided through very smart people.

Mental illness and religion are not related.....they are two separate, very different things and religion has no business being involved with ANY kind of illness. Yes, yes, prayers are fine but I have yet to see anyone survive by prayers alone. I give God all the glory for EVERYTHING but that is a completely separate issue from my mental illness and the fact that I will always need medication to remain stabilized.

I don't particularly like being "normal" because the manic episodes are fantastic except for all the destruction and mayhem but I have to stay at an even keel and that's what the medication does for me. I still get depressed and I still have little spurts of manic mini-episodes but not on the grand scale as before.

Still think you know what you're talking about? If not, then educate yourself. If so, then I got a manic episode waiting for you.

Last edited by june 7th; 07-28-2010 at 04:13 PM.. Reason: Re-formatted in order to adhere to city-data's copyright rules.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:49 AM

63,849 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
WHOA!! Excuse me??? You're right, this is a big load of **** and it has infuriated me. Let me tell you something PurpleHeart, you don't have one clue what you are talking about. How dare you come in here and make such awful claims when someone is at the lowest point in their lives!!!

I'm sick of this...people sitting in judgment when they have absolutely NO IDEA what they are talking about. This should be voted the most stupid and ignorant post on C-D....EVER. Let me tell you a little story, and then you can sit in judgment of me all you like.

I have Type I Bipolar disorder, which means I have severe and extreme depressive and manic episodes. It's also referred to as "manic-depression". I am the worst case scenario and if I were looking at you in person I would punch you right in the nose. No qualms about it until after the fact.

My life has been a living hell. It all started when I was about 12 and I did not get diagnosed until I was 44 years old. I will spare you the details because there's not enough time and space here at C-D to go into that. But let me just run down the the "symptoms" for you. These symptoms, every last one of them, apply to me.

Symptoms & Types

Bipolar is a complex illness. There are many different symptoms -- and several different types -- of bipolar disorder. The primary symptoms of the disorder are dramatic and unpredictable mood swings. The various types of bipolar disorder range from mild to severe.
Symptoms

Bipolar Symptoms
The primary symptoms of bipolar disorder are dramatic and unpredictable mood swings.
Mania Symptoms
Mania symptoms may include excessive happiness, excitement, irritability, restlessness, increased energy, less need for sleep, racing thoughts, high sex drive, and a tendency to make grand and unattainable plans.
Depression Symptoms
Depression symptoms may include sadness, anxiety, irritability, loss of energy, uncontrollable crying, change in appetite causing weight loss or gain, increased need for sleep, difficulty making decisions, and thoughts of death or suicide.

Bipolar I Disorder

What Is Bipolar I Disorder?

Bipolar I disorder (pronounced "bipolar one" and also known as manic-depressive disorder or manic depression) is a form of mental illness. A person affected by bipolar I disorder has had at least one manic episode in his or her life. A manic episode is a period of abnormally elevated mood, accompanied by abnormal behavior that disrupts life.
Most people with bipolar I disorder also suffer from episodes of depression. Often, there is a pattern of cycling between mania and depression. This is where the term "manic depression" comes from. In between episodes of mania and depression, many people with bipolar I disorder can live normal lives.

Who Is at Risk for Bipolar I Disorder?

Virtually anyone can develop bipolar I disorder. About 2.5% of the U.S. population suffers from bipolar disorder -- almost six million people.
Most people are in their teens or early 20s when symptoms of bipolar disorder first appear. Nearly everyone with bipolar I disorder develops it before age 50. People with an immediate family member with bipolar are at higher risk.
What Are the Symptoms of Bipolar I Disorder?

During a manic episode in someone with bipolar disorder, elevated mood can manifest itself as either euphoria (feeling "high") or as irritability.
Abnormal behavior during manic episodes includes:
  • Flying suddenly from one idea to the next
  • Rapid, "pressured," and loud speech
  • Increased energy, with hyperactivity and a decreased need for sleep
  • Inflated self-image
  • Excessive spending
  • Hypersexuality
  • Substance abuse
People in manic episodes may spend money far beyond their means, have sex with people they wouldn't otherwise, or pursue grandiose, unrealistic plans. In severe manic episodes, a person loses touch with reality. They may become delusional and behave bizarrely.
Untreated, an episode of mania can last anywhere from a few days to several years. Most commonly, symptoms continue for a few weeks to a few months. Depression may follow shortly after, or not appear for weeks or months.
Many people with bipolar I disorder experience long periods without symptoms in between episodes. A minority have rapid-cycling symptoms of mania and depression -- even alternating between mania and depression in the same day.
Depressive episodes in bipolar disorder are similar to "regular" clinical depression, with depressed mood, loss of pleasure, low energy and activity, feelings of guilt or worthlessness, and thoughts of suicide. Depressive symptoms of bipolar disorder can last weeks or even years.
What Are the Treatments for Bipolar I Disorder?

Manic episodes in bipolar I disorder require treatment with drugs, such as antidepressants, mood stabilizers, benzodiazepines, and newer antipyschotics.

So you still think you know it all? That "depression" is just coveting? Think again my friend, when your life is going just fine but you still want to kill yourself then something is wrong and it ain't "coveting". When you exhaust family, friends and yourself in a manic episode that is the epitome of Jekyll and Hyde.....you still think that's coveting? Have you ever visited a mental hospital? Maybe you should. But they're all just there cause they're coveting right? Or it's all in their heads. Boy I wish I had a nickle for everytime I heard that.

I hope you EDUCATE yourself about the real problems of mental illness. Just because you're not affected by it doesn't mean that it's not real. And I also hope that people like BECLAZONE ignore your post and can see how asinine it is. Well I guess the ignorance continues. But when I see something like your post I am more than happy to educate.

And just let me say that no amount of "religion" can stop depression or bipolar disorder. Don't you think that I have prayed for healing? Do you think I got it? NO. So what would God have me do? The next best thing, which is to get diagnosed and take the medication that HE has provided through very smart people.

Mental illness and religion are not related.....they are two separate, very different things and religion has no business being involved with ANY kind of illness. Yes, yes, prayers are fine but I have yet to see anyone survive by prayers alone. I give God all the glory for EVERYTHING but that is a completely separate issue from my mental illness and the fact that I will always need medication to remain stabilized.

I don't particularly like being "normal" because the manic episodes are fantastic except for all the destruction and mayhem but I have to stay at an even keel and that's what the medication does for me. I still get depressed and I still have little spurts of manic mini-episodes but not on the grand scale as before.

Still think you know what you're talking about? If not, then educate yourself. If so, then I got a manic episode waiting for you.
I am so sorry you were provoked by his blatant ignorance, Ilene . . . his ignorance is widespread and infects his understanding of God, the gospel and life in general. The real tragedy, though . . . is the veneration of ignorance as a virtue of faith in primitive concepts of God. There are many afflicted with the same ignorance and rejection of the "wisdom of man" because it turns their lack of education or knowledge into a profession of faith in God.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:01 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,627,655 times
Thanks Mystic, it does infuriate me and I can't even get my own son to understand my illness. It's just like anything else I suppose, ignorance abounds when one does not educate themselves and have an open mind. It is exactly the same with the likes of wacky religious beliefs....one continues in ignorance because of man's teachings, never growing, never learning due to stubbornness and brain-washing. Geez, I just want to slap everybody this morning!!! Except you of course, Mystic. Even my dog is over here having bad dreams!!

Old 07-28-2010, 09:35 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,543,062 times
Quote:
First to believe that money = happiness is very shallow and selfish thinking.

Local guy won millions in the state lottery, something like 43 million after taxes. The guy is miserable, and scared to death that someone will kidnap one of his grand kids for ransom.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:47 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,021,857 times
Quote:

I am just shocked beyond belief by this post of yours. When Jesus was on his way to the cross, his heart was exceedingly troubled and heavy with sorrow. He also said at one point to those weeping for him, do not weep for me, but weep for yourselves and for your children. Then of course I'm sure you are familiar with Jeremiah the weeping prophet. No doubt you've read the book of Job. How about Lamentations - ever read that? You are the last person on earth I'd want around if I were depressed or grief stricken. Your words are almost inexcusable.
I have nothing more to say to you about depression, because you have obviously not tasted it.

Heartsong

Old 07-28-2010, 11:19 AM

3,448 posts, read 3,134,437 times
With humble supplication to all who have endured , the aforementioned mumblings shall not
accompany my simple thought.
The writer (edit, PurpleHeart) " in opinion" is obviously detached from the matter, without the experience of

serious personal darkness.

The overview is illogical.

Last edited by stargazzer; 07-28-2010 at 11:46 AM.. Reason: Clarity

Old 07-28-2010, 05:06 PM

7,998 posts, read 12,280,448 times
Quote:
When June uses the words "with all due respect" she does not type them as an excuse for what she is planning on saying, but rather, because she means them. So, with all due respect to both yourself and your religious beliefs, PurpleHeart, June has to say that it is no doubt a perceived lack of empathy that others have and will react to as regards your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleHeart
June is truly hoping that some part of you can understand the true nature behind "situational depression" and the impact it has on people. What your words here are doing is what we call "blaming the victim." Depression is a serious state of affairs, and in many cases rises to the level of that of being classified as an "illness." June cannot fathom even yourself NOT becoming depressed if the closest person to you that you love the most suddenly died. Your sorrow, grief, and yes depression would be more than understandable, and somehow June seriously doubts that you would cast yourself while in the midst of such darkness in the same role as you are casting/allocating others...

Quote:
Whether you chose to believe it or not, there are those of us "doctors" out there who purposely chose to work within "the medical profession" and related association(s) for a reason. Even stranger are those of us who have intentionally chosen jobs that pay substandard wages because we work in community mental health. What you describe so condescendingly is not representative among the mental health profession as a whole. While June does not doubt that there are clinicians out there in private practice whose fees are almost exploitative to the patient along with their insurance company, in June's opinion (and experience) they are the relatively few within what is June's profession.

June does not "personalize" your words of condescention regarding her work and her profession, she does take issue with the misinformation that your post puts out there. June would be the last one to regard psychopharmacology and the related pharmaceutical companies as the "saviors" of the mental health world. June is not personally a prescriber. She is someone who does psychotherapy/psychodynamcially orieneted analysis, instead. --But make no mistake: Medications do have a role to play in the overall treatment of depression and other mental health related illnesses. In the realm of the hypothetical, June has the very real feeling if that closest loved one to you, PurpleHeart, suddenly began exhibitting the symptoms of schizophrenia (delusions, halluciniations, and a most incredible thought disorder) tomorrow, that you too would seek out whatever means possible to assist that loved one in being able to contain their illness. (And yes, it IS an illness. Many a neuropsychiatrist would be more than willing to "set you straight" as regards the validity of my statement.)

In short, while medication is not necessarily the "magic, silver bullet" in everyone's case, make no mistake: There are those who are alive today thanks to the medications and related psychotherapy or counselling that accompanied it. Many an individual who would have otherwise ended their lives via suicide are alive today due to the merits of both medication and therapy. (Just a thought to otherwise consider...)

Quote:

If what you are recounting above worked for you, then June is indeed very glad for you. However, to project your own experience onto others in such a broad and demeaning way is not healthy. It lacks empathy and a fundamental understanding of even the nature of your own experience.

Quote:
Depression is also a choice, chosen by selfish people who demand everything in life and are never happy with anything they have.
If June was one who practiced cognitive behavioral therapy, a part of her might in fact agree with a PART of what you are stating, above. Alas, your words are "blaming the victims" and in some cases quite possibly re-victimizing them, as a result. June would refer you to Ilene's post. She stated far more eloquently than I what the true reality of depression and having a particular type of mental illness is all about.

June respects her tremendously, and says that with the utmost sincerity.

Quote:
They want more and more and more.
The fact of the matter and the reality is they wish to feel/to be better. To not suffer. They wish to have hope.

June hopes you will contemplate the meaning and nature of "hope." Hopefully.

Quote:
It's called COVETING and COVETING contributes to an ungrateful and depressed spirit!

June supsects that you are superimposing a purely religious concept in an inaccurate way, and attributing it incorrectly to a certain circumstance and issue.

"Chemical imbalances" within the brain are real, PurpleHeart. June hates to be the one to tell you so, but there is no lack of volumous literature out there to substantiate June's words. One could start by looking into the meaning behind the word "PET scan" relative to schizophrenia. June is confident that you will in fact find no "coveting" there...

Quote:
With kindness, PurpleHeart, try telling a suicidally depressed individual that they are in the state of suicidal depression that they're in due to having broken one of God's commandments. Try telling them that it is their "fault" for not even trying to keep them. It is breath taking to June just how many good, faithful, and genuinelly decent Christians have suffered from debilitating depression, when all the while attempting to cling to whatever faith they can still manage to have, and hold onto....All the while pleading with God. That, my friend, is fact.

Quote:
....And there are studies out there showing the connection between depression and those who have suddenly found themselves coming into otherwise vast sums of money, if you care to look into them. June is sure that they are available online/the internet.

Quote:
Stop blaming things other than yourself!!!
Stop doing what we refer to in the "biz" as "blaming the victim." No one benefits from it.

Quote:
It all comes down to WILLFUL COVETING!
No, it all comes down to either a major mental illness afflicting the brain, or in the vast majority of cases, situational circumstances in one's life. --Along with unresolved issues in one's life that are contributing to the situational.

That is fact.

Please note: June's post in no way was intended, or written with any ill will towards the member she quoted and addressed, herein. Her own personal and professional ego is not tied into the matter at hand. She has heard similiar accusations towards her profession before, and certainly this example is not the last. June has also been doing what she does for a living long enough (and hopefully well enough) to be able to know how to put things into a particular context. June's post was more to clear up whatever outstanding misunderstandings as regards the nature of depression and the world of mental heath that may or may not still be out there.

Take gentle care.

Old 07-28-2010, 05:15 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,196,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
The fact of the matter and the reality is they wish to feel/to be better. To not suffer.

They wish to have hope.

It is breath taking to June just how many good, faithful, and genuinely decent Christians have suffered from debilitating depression, when all the while attempting to cling to whatever faith they can still manage to have, and hold onto....All the while pleading with God. That, my friend, is fact.
Great post, June. Thank you.

Old 07-28-2010, 05:30 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,401,842 times
Thanks for all the great info, June, and thanks to all who've posted in response to Purpleheart. As someone who struggled with severe despression since childhood I admit that it can still be somewhat hurtful to read something like Purpleheart's post. Although, Purpleheart, in all honesty I'm very happy for you that you found at least partially what was the source of your depression and were able to overcome it. I, too, found that "postive thinking" was an important part (though certainly not the only part) of overcoming depression in my life (not in the sense that I never struggle with it, but I no longer spiral to the unbearable depths I did for so many years). So, while the overall tone of your post was difficult for me to stomach, I wouldn't say there was no value at all to what you've shared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
No, it all comes down to either a major mental illness afflicting the brain, or in the vast majority of cases, situational circumstances in one's life. --Along with unresolved issues in one's life that are contributing to the situational.

That is fact.
I just wanted to ask, June, wouldn't you say that while situational circumstances may be a main contributor to depression, left unchecked depression itself leads to a depletion of necessary chemicals in the brain, making it a physical problem as well as an emotional one?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.