Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2010, 09:26 PM

7,628 posts, read 10,971,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
so Jonah was in the belly of a big fish for 3 thousand years? what exactly is your context?
Jonah came into existance after God's seven days of creation. The Bible tells us that the length of a day has two durations. In mans time, a day equals 24 hours. Yet in God's time, a day equals 1,000 years. As stated in II Peter 3:8. "But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 06:25 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,063,398 times
Quote:
Are you the one who was talking about Joshua and the earth stand still. I told you the bible is not a science book but a book based on the human perspective......In our society we say, "sun rising" but the sun doesn't rise. Why don't we say, what a lovely earth revolving?
I don't know why you don't say that the Earth rotates instead of the sun rises. I get it...I KNOW it's not a literal description so it's no big deal to me. You are the one saying that that the creation is literal...you either believe the Bible or you don't. So, which is it? Is the Earth literally fixed upon pillars or does the Earth revolve and rotate? Are the many Biblical descriptions of creation not intended to be literal? Is the Biblical description of creation (found in Genesis and throughout the Bible) intended to be taken literally or is it a description based on human perspective?

Quote:
I never said the moon is a light...so please stop being disingenous. I was interpreting the verse.
No, you said God gathered light into luminaries, one of them being the sun and the other the moon. The literal description of the creation states that the moon is a LIGHT just like the sun only lessor, there's no mention of reflecting light. Everything solid reflects light, the Earth itself reflects light. Is the Earth a light too?

And what's with you interpreting verses that you say are literal? Make up your mind. You either believe the creation story or you don't.

Quote:
There has been ABSOLUTELY no scripture used by the old earth creationists in this thread....WOW!! This is a Christian forum right?
We've been using the same scriptures that you have to show that a literal description is not the only and may not be the right interpretation. You say...morning and evening, the first day....and we ask...how was that day measured. You have no answer. You say God created two lights and we say that the moon is NOT a light. Eventually, because you see the absurdity of calling the moon a light, you agree that it isn't a light. You say everything is literal...except that part about the sun standing still and the sun rising and falling, and the moon being a light, etc. There's no room for interpretation when you are reading something LITERALLY.

So, it seems that you don't agree with the literal creation story (the moon is not a light) nor do you agree with the other literal descriptions of creation (unless you think the Earth is fixed). That's all you need to answer the question of this thread.

Go back and read yeshuasavedme's posts and check out some geocentric focused web pages. THAT is the level of commitment you need to make if you are going to say that the Biblical description of creation is literal. Anything less and you are just like the rest of us....interpreting God's words based on our limited understanding and that doesn't make you right more than any one of the rest of us.

Now, I think yeshuasavedme is way beyond reasonable in denying science in favor of a literal Bible but I respect that he/she isn't wishy washy on the subject. He/she's fully commited to the Literal Biblical Creation, not only as found in Genesis but as described throughout the Bible. You certainly can't say the same. You are 'interpreting' scripture that you say is literal but by doing so you prove that it isn't literal. You and I really agree, just at different degrees. There's one big thing that makes us very different.
I'm willing to accept that God's creation is a mystery instead of pretending I understand it all. I don't understand how he did it...it could have been in 6 days or 6 million years. In the end it doesn't matter to me. The creation story is meant to show that God designed and has a plan for all things, right from the beginning. It doesn't make God any less if it's not all literal. There's a lot that I don't understand and I'd rather be open to learning, open to hearing from God and His understanding, open to the fact that he will reveal Himself to me in His time, in His way....not closed minded and thinking that my understanding is sufficient. And that's the difference between you and me, fundamentally.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:28 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,566,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Jonah came into existance after God's seven days of creation. The Bible tells us that the length of a day has two durations. In mans time, a day equals 24 hours. Yet in God's time, a day equals 1,000 years. As stated in II Peter 3:8. "But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day."
"yom" in Hebrew means day...period, 24 hours, it can also mean back in my grandfather's "yom" but by no stretch of the imagination does it mean a time period of millions let alone billions of years.

God is outside of time, that verse describes what our time is to God. We don't base the contextualization of day from that one verse. The creation is God explaining to us the time frame used for creation also to show us an example how how he wants man to work, 6 days and then we rest on 7.

If the planet is billions of years old then were animals here before Adam and Eve and if animals were did they die? if the animals died and blood, rotting decay was all over the earth then why would God call His creation good? and how could animals die before Adam and Eve if there was no sin in the world?

What you fail to understand if the creation is not what the bibles says, which is 6 days then it's only a matter of time that all of Genesis can't be taken literal including the flood and if Genesis becomes poetic to obsolete which by the way Genesis (1-11) ties in either directly or indirectly to every doctrine in the bible then the who bible falls apart, there is nothing to stand on God's word. You might as well use it as a paper weight.

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 01-26-2010 at 08:45 AM..

Old 01-26-2010, 08:38 AM

809 posts, read 1,862,090 times
6 days to Man - Week - rest/relax on Saturday(7) as instructed by God.

6 days to God - 6 thousand years he rested on the 7th day(the time we are living in. we are in the last days of that last thousand years, a day to GOD).

When he gets ready to go back to work, one of his chores will be to come back to earth and rid it of Satan and it's followers.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:55 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,969,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Dear Campbell34, it is a simile.

II Peter 3:8 does not say a day with the Lord IS a thousand years but one day with the Lord is AS or LIKE a thousand years.

Similes: a comparison of two things using like or as
Example: Her mind is like a sponge absorbing all of the details.

You wouldn't say that He mind is literally a sponge and neither should you say a day is literally 1000 years.

Peace!

Old 01-26-2010, 09:16 AM

2,981 posts, read 5,456,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
... There's a lot that I don't understand and I'd rather be open to learning, open to hearing from God and His understanding, open to the fact that he will reveal Himself to me in His time, in His way....not closed minded and thinking that my understanding is sufficient. And that's the difference between you and me, fundamentally.
Why do you not believe what God has revealed, then? Where is this "learning" going to come from, if you will not believe what God has "literally" revealed, in "His Literature", written by His prophets?

Old 01-26-2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeshuasavedme View Post
Why do you not believe what God has revealed, then? Where is this "learning" going to come from, if you will not believe what God has "literally" revealed, in "His Literature", written by His prophets?
Yes if you can't take Genesis literally then what can you and where do we draw the line on what is literal and what isn't. Did Jesus literally rise from the dead?

Old 01-26-2010, 09:26 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchester_Jay View Post
Been reading a lot of the stuff on answersingenesis.org they believe and teach in a young earth and a literal 6 days. The stuff on there is very interesting but i wondered whether you support their views or not? Thanks in advance. GOD BLESS
Basically, who cares how old the earth is? We had to put up with this stuff not too long ago in the form of the earth being FLAT and the center of the universe. Disagreeing with that could get you executed by the church.

So, I view the "young earthers" as being weak in faith if admitting the earth is billions of years old (God's days might not be YOUR days after all lol) is going to invalidate the religion or challenge faith.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:29 AM

2,981 posts, read 5,456,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
Is the Earth literally fixed upon pillars or does the Earth revolve and rotate? Are the many Biblical descriptions of creation not intended to be literal? Is the Biblical description of creation (found in Genesis and throughout the Bible) intended to be taken literally or is it a description based on human perspective?
The sun is a light receptacle, in Scripture, BTW, like a Menorah, and it is not the light which God created on day 1, but the governor of that light. It gathers that light in and refracts if back out, to the whole creation, biblically speaking, everything in creation receives "heat" from the sun -Psalm 18.

Psa 19:6 His going forth [is] from the end/extreme of the heaven, and his circuit/path/highway unto the ends/extremes of it: and there is nothing hid from the heat thereof.
The earth is fixed in place, and the pillars are "electromagnetic forces", called "winds" in 1 Enoch, and are "currents", which keep the earth in its place and control the movements of the heavens around the earth.

Quote:
1 Enoch [Chapter 18]
1 I saw the treasuries of all the winds: I saw how He had furnished with them the whole creation 2 and the firm foundations of the earth. And I saw the corner-stone of the earth: I saw the four 3 winds which bear [the earth and] the firmament of the heaven. And I saw how the winds stretch out the vaults of heaven, and have their station between heaven and earth: these are the pillars 4 of the heaven. I saw the winds of heaven which turn and bring the circumference of the sun and 5 all the stars to their setting. I saw the winds on the earth carrying the clouds: I saw the paths 6 of the angels. I saw at the end of the earth the firmament of the heaven above.

[Chapter 57]
1 And it came to pass after this that I saw another host of wagons, and men riding thereon, and 2 coming on the winds from the east, and from the west to the south. And the noise of their wagons was heard, and when this turmoil took place the holy ones from heaven remarked it, and the pillars of the earth were moved from their place, and the sound thereof was heard from the one end of heaven 3 to the other, in one day. And they shall all fall down and worship the Lord of Spirits. And this is the end of the second Parable.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Basically, who cares how old the earth is? We had to put up with this stuff not too long ago in the form of the earth being FLAT and the center of the universe. Disagreeing with that could get you executed by the church.

So, I view the "young earthers" as being weak in faith if admitting the earth is billions of years old (God's days might not be YOUR days after all lol) is going to invalidate the religion or challenge faith.
It's the old earthers who don't fully understand the implications of their sincere yet misguided belief. You have no idea that Genesis ties into every doctrine in the bible. If Genesis goes so does the bible

If the planet is billions of years old then were animals here before Adam and Eve and if animals were did they die? if the animals died and blood, rotting decay was all over the earth then why would God call His creation good? and how could animals die before Adam and Eve if there was no sin in the world?

What you fail to understand if the creation is not what the bibles says, which is 6 days then it's only a matter of time that all of Genesis can't be taken literal including the flood and if Genesis becomes poetic to obsolete which by the way Genesis (1-11) ties in either directly or indirectly to every doctrine in the bible then the who bible falls apart, there is nothing to stand on God's word. You might as well use it as a paper weight.

OLD EARTHERS CAN'T ANSWER THESE SO THEY BYPASS IT ALL TOGETHER.

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 01-26-2010 at 09:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity