Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2010, 04:40 PM

2,981 posts, read 5,455,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post

Our understanding changes over time as God reveals himself to us. People used to think the Earth was the center of the universe or flat, based on their literal interpretation of scripture. Science proved otherwise. How is this reconciled? Joshua clearly told the sun to stand still. How does this happen if the sun is not rotating around the Earth? The Bible tells us that the sun rises and falls...not that the Earth rotates. Where are the pillars, which the Bible clearly states, that the Earth sits upon? How does one see to the ends of the Earth..when the Earth is round? Where are the ends, where are the corners? Why does the Bible use phrases indicating that God 'spread out' the Earth? Do you use that type of phrase when referring to something round....or something flat?

You don't need to answer the questions because, frankly, you can't
The Bible already answered you.
The Bible never ever, in any place states that the earth is flat. The Hebrew word for world is tebel, and means globe. The root etymon for "to swell" "bl" forms the base of that word.

And the Bible still states that the earth is the center of the created universe and the sun goes round the earth, and the earth is fixed in its place.
God's Word never changes, and science -so called- has never proven anything contrary to the stated Word of God.

The pillars of the earth are electromagnetic forces, unseen. They are described in Job as "nothing", and they are "tesselating" -as in atomic agitation. Enoch describes the pillars as forces, again, we would describe them as electromagnetic forces or winds. .

The word for the "ends" of the earth and the "end"s of the heavens means the "extremes", in the original language.
The corners are the four directions, and they each have origins and winds/forces. Every globe can be sectioned into four corners.

God spread out the earth, bringing it up from the waters of the created globe/tebel, and He spread out the heavens. neither the tebel/world or the heavens is flat.

Psa 136:6 To him that stretched out the earth above the waters: for his mercy [endureth] for ever.

Gesenius's Lexicon (Help)

Quote:
Where is the water that is above the sky?
It is above the heavens.
Quote:
What is the lessor 'light' that governs the night?
The moon

Quote:
Where does the light come from before there is sun and stars?
If the sun were to disappear we would still have light during the day...right? Where does this 'day' light come from?
It was called into being by YHWH on day 1. the sun, moon, and stars were made and set in the stretched out heavens to govern that created light, on day 4, and they were set in the heavens under the divided waters, which are above the stretched out heavens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 05:29 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,318,986 times
Why does anyone think that God's time would match man's? The Bible is full of mysteries that we will never understand. Are we supposed to? I don't think so. We have faith, and we believe, but beating ourselves up over the whys is unnecessary. I believe God gave scientists the knowledge that they are using to understand more of the natural world. This knowledge was not available when the Bible was written. I also believe even the most Godly man is just that, a man. Do you really think that all the scientific evidence about the age of the Earth is false or planted to upset Christians? I have no trouble letting science and Chrisitianity co-exist.

Old 01-25-2010, 05:41 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,323,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smel View Post
Why does anyone think that God's time would match man's? The Bible is full of mysteries that we will never understand. Are we supposed to? I don't think so. We have faith, and we believe, but beating ourselves up over the whys is unnecessary. I believe God gave scientists the knowledge that they are using to understand more of the natural world. This knowledge was not available when the Bible was written. I also believe even the most Godly man is just that, a man. Do you really think that all the scientific evidence about the age of the Earth is false or planted to upset Christians? I have no trouble letting science and Chrisitianity co-exist.
this is exactly what i've been saying.. to some posters here however, science and Christianity cannot coexist. science, physics, mathematics, astronomy only give me a higher appreciation of God's work.. this has an adverse effect on some people tho as it seems to contradict their interpretation of things.

Old 01-25-2010, 05:42 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,434,005 times
Science is the understanding of what God had created.

Old 01-25-2010, 05:47 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,563,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smel View Post
That's why we have the bible. It answers the questions that we have.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
this is exactly what i've been saying.. to some posters here however, science and Christianity cannot coexist. science, physics, mathematics, astronomy only give me a higher appreciation of God's work.. this has an adverse effect on some people tho as it seems to contradict their interpretation of things.
I love science. I am a huge science nerd but science must ALWAYS answers to scripture. Scripture NEVER answers to science.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
That's why we have the bible. It answers the questions that we have.
Why are plants green?
What causes waves in the ocean?
What causes the phenomenon known as the northern lights?
What is water made of?
Why is blood red?

You found the answers to those in the Bible? "Because God made it that way" wasn't enough to suffice when i was 10.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:16 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,061,904 times
The moon is not a light, it merely reflects light. By that literal Biblical definition, my dog is a light.

Where is the mention of electromagnetic forces or atomic agitation in the Bible? What is the Hebrew for that, lol.

The Earth isn't fixed in it's place, it's not even fixed on it's axis or in it's orbit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeshuasavedme View Post
And the Bible still states that the earth is the center of the created universe and the sun goes round the earth, and the earth is fixed in its place.
God's Word never changes, and science -so called- has never proven anything contrary to the stated Word of God.
Really, you believe that the sun goes around the Earth? Wow.
I don't think even Fundie will go that far in standing by the literal interpretation of the Bible. I could be wrong though.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
Why are plants green?
What causes waves in the ocean?
What causes the phenomenon known as the northern lights?
What is water made of?
Why is blood red?

You found the answers to those in the Bible? "Because God made it that way" wasn't enough to suffice when i was 10.
What was God doing before the creation? obviously we get our questions from the answers in scripture scripture much like how God created the world in 6 days.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:21 PM

^in other words you are happy with "God made it that way" as an explanation. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity