Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2010, 01:32 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,573,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
That's not being literal. Bible says 2 kids.

So, it's ok to speculate about things not in the bible? Meaning if they left out mention of 498 kids perhaps they didn't mention some things that would have added to the years?

Also, you cannot be a literalist and not be supportive of relations between family members. (aka incest) Adam and Eve's kids gave them grandkids right? Or, you going to answer that one by making up more bible passages so you can take them "literally".
The bible doesn't say how many exactly but if Cain took a wife, who was she? It was his sister. God allowed incest in the early parts of the OT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 01:40 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,839,176 times
Quote:

So, it's ok to speculate about things not in the bible? Meaning if they left out mention of 498 kids perhaps they didn't mention some things that would have added to the years?

Also, you cannot be a literalist and not be supportive of relations between family members. (aka incest) Adam and Eve's kids gave them grandkids right? Or, you going to answer that one by making up more bible passages so you can take them "literally".
Where does it say only 2 kids? What about Seth? And where the Bible says they begat more children?

Incest wasn't a sin until Moses was given the Law.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:45 PM

33 posts, read 68,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
I totally agree but many Christians can't even believe 6 days let alone 6 seconds.
How big do we want our God to be?

A God that had to take 000's if not millions of years to create the world or a God so big and powerful he managed to do it in 6 days?

I know where my choice is. My God is MASSIVE!!

Old 01-26-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeshuasavedme View Post
It comes to confusion and lack of logical thinking when one just does not take God at His Word.
God made everything in six evenings and six mornings and each evening was 500 years long, you say? -and so, everything died!

Scripture clearly points out to us that creation week was made of six evenings and six mornings.
The Bible also says we are to work six days and rest on the 7th. I AM TAKING THAT LITERALLY!!

Old 01-26-2010, 01:56 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,067,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchester_Jay View Post
How big do we want our God to be?

A God that had to take 000's if not millions of years to create the world or a God so big and powerful he managed to do it in 6 days?

I know where my choice is. My God is MASSIVE!!
LOL, so you think God is less if the creation story isn't meant to be literal?? Interesting.

Personally, it's no less a wonder to me....but I don't need God in a box.

Let me ask you this. Say you know someone who is sick, lets say cancer, and you are praying for God to heal them. If the cancer is treated and 'healed' via a doctor and medical treatment instead of an outright miracle....do you still thank God for the healing all the same? Does it make God small? Is one healing less amazing than the other? Do you think that God is not big enough and powerful enough to heal outright...even if he does not?

Old 01-26-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
LOL, so you think God is less if the creation story isn't meant to be literal?? Interesting.

Personally, it's no less a wonder to me....but I don't need God in a box.

Let me ask you this. Say you know someone who is sick, lets say cancer, and you are praying for God to heal them. If the cancer is treated and 'healed' via a doctor and medical treatment instead of an outright miracle....do you still thank God for the healing all the same? Does it make God small? Is one healing less amazing than the other? Do you think that God is not big enough and powerful enough to heal outright...even if he does not?
"God in a box"?

Anyway I would love to answer that. You thank God because it was God who gave the knowledge to man so that the doctor could be taught, it was God who gave us the medicines to combat the sickness. God can also heal directly

what does this have to do with creation? If genesis is not taken seriously the bible cannot either, the bible cannot stand without Genesis.

I bet you don't even believe in a world wide flood?

Old 01-26-2010, 02:29 PM

809 posts, read 1,862,875 times
Quote:

that's the beauty of GOD, he did all this(incest to build populations) and if you notice there was not any deformed children from it either..

And you must understand this verse in the Bible to get the gist of how God operates or you will forever be asking questions and be lost. the choice is yours...here you go:

Isaiah 55:8-9
""For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways,"
declares the LORD.
9 "As the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts

GOD IS GREAT I TELL YOU!!!!

Old 01-26-2010, 03:48 PM

Ok, this is exciting. Lol do i put God in a box? Obviously not. I don't say things like he couldn't possibly have done it in 6 days. Do i thank God when someone is cured via medicine? YES, YES, YES! In regards to incest: if you knew your bible you'd know there was nothing wrong with that until God gave the law that man should not marry his sister. Why? As a result of the fall sickness and mutations came into the world. So in adam and eve there was perfect genes. They were made before the fall. Their kids would have some but very little defects in their genes and so on. Wasn't until many generations later that mans genes were so mutated it was no longer safe to reproduce with direct family.

Old 01-26-2010, 04:18 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,325,409 times
Quote:
If genesis is not taken seriously the bible cannot either, the bible cannot stand without Genesis.
logical fallacy of false dilemma
Fallacy: False Dilemma

Quote:
I bet you don't even believe in a world wide flood?
and i believe this is a non sequitur.

so sad.

Old 01-26-2010, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
logical fallacy of false dilemma
Fallacy: False Dilemma

and i believe this is a non sequitur.

so sad.
Did you look up that scripture yet? Do you even read your bible?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity