Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2010, 03:58 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,765,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaminghedge View Post
Yes, but nowhere does it correctly say that he is God. It should have been pretty easy to write that correct?

And once again, if it was true, then why didn't Paul write several letters to the Jews explaining that there God is, in fact, not simply the father as they understood it. He spent quite a bit of his time explaining why the law was now fulfilled, don't you think it would have taken at least a couple of chapters to fill them in on God?
Indeed, just as Christ never said of himself that he is the messiah. However i believe that the apostles did say it(that Christ is the word and the word is God, and in Isaiah that he is the mighty God, and when God says to the son - "your throne, OH GOD" ...), just not in so many words(i.e Jesus Christ is God). It certainly would have helped if God had inspired the writers of the scriptures to be less vague about so many things, but again as it is written ...

"It is the glory of God to conceal a thing, but it is the honer of Kings to search out a matter"

Again, i believe it is a matter of faith, those who have faith that Jesus is in fact God, and those that do not have faith that he is God(for whatever reason).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 04:01 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,534,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
Indeed, just as Christ never said of himself that he is the messiah. However i believe that the apostles did say it, just not in so many words. It certainly would have helped if God had inspired the writers of the scriptures to be less vague about so many things, but again as it is written ...

"It is the glory of God to conceal a thing, but it is the honer of Kings to search out a matter"

Again, i believe it is a matter of faith, those who have faith that Jesus is in fact the God, and those that do not have faith that he is God.
Well you do have a valid point there... there are those who have faith that Jesus is God and those who don't.

Do you also then believe that one must believe Jesus is God as if the scripture enforces it or do you just chalk it up to faith and opinion? It sounds as if you realize it is not truly "clear" in scripture but perhaps hidden.. right? Some think it is a sign that one is not in communication with God that they don't believe Christ is God.

Old 02-28-2010, 04:05 PM

370 posts, read 452,773 times
Quote:
Indeed, it it also helps to try and keep an open mind and admit that we might be wrong. Which i freely admit that i might be ...

God bless ...
I'm still in that position too, I might be wrong, but usually I find that the one who has seen both sides and then comes out saying a certain side is correct holds more authority on that subject. In other words, check out my point of view and then if you still think it's wrong, let me know why; I'll be more inclined to listen.

Here's some sites if you're willing to take me up on this:

The Trinity on Trial (http://www.angelfire.com/space/thegospeltruth/theology/deity/trinity.html - broken link)
The Trinity Doctrine
Randal Rauser : Is the Trinity a True Contradiction? - Quodlibet Journal
L. Ray Smith - Is God a Closed TRINITY or an Open FAMILY?

I realize that not all of these might directly address what you believe, but still check them all out. I think you'd probably be most interested in the third one, but the first and second explain the scriptures you use. The fourth, I think is the correct view, just not as throughly explained as the first two.

Old 02-28-2010, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
So you are counting the spirit of God as a "dimension?"

Didn't God pour out his spirit on all men? Wasn't that part of the New Covenant? So then in that respect we would all be 3 dimensional..

I enjoyed watching "what the bleep do we know," and I find quantum physics fascinating but I guess I don't understand your use of dimension...
No i don't think the spirit of God/Christ is a dimension, but i believe the spirit of God/Christ exists within the dimensions of time-space.

Dimensions are realms of space. Height, width, and depth are the three dimensions we experience in this world. Time is said to be the fourth dimension. But through math we have calculated many more dimensions which we are not able to perceive with our physical senses, nevertheless they are real. God exists in his absolute being outside of all time and space, outside of the dimensions of the created world, yet he manifests in various ways to the created world and on multiple levels of being.

Old 02-28-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Indeed, just as Christ never said of himself that he is the messiah. However i believe that the apostles did say it(that Christ is the word and the word is God, and in Isaiah that he is the mighty God, and when God says to the son - "your throne, OH GOD" ...), just not in so many words(i.e Jesus Christ is God). It certainly would have helped if God had inspired the writers of the scriptures to be less vague about so many things, but again as it is written ...

Again, i believe it is a matter of faith, those who have faith that Jesus is in fact God, and those that do not have faith that he is God(for whatever reason).
Yes, a handful of easily explained away verses address the very important topic that Jesus is God.

Old 02-28-2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:
No i don't think the spirit of God/Christ is a dimension, but i believe the spirit of God/Christ exists within the dimensions of time-space.

Dimensions are realms of space. Height, width, and depth are the three dimensions we experience in this world. Time is said to be the fourth dimension. But through math we have calculated many more dimensions which we are not able to perceive with our physical senses, nevertheless they are real. God exists in his absolute being outside of all time and space, outside of the dimensions of the created world, yet he manifests in various ways to the created world and on multiple levels of being.
That's something else that I came to disagree with. Dimensions restrict in some way or another. If you are in the fourth or even the thirteenth, something is still beyond that. I now say that he created the dimensions.

Old 02-28-2010, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Well you do have a valid point there... there are those who have faith that Jesus is God and those who don't.

Do you also then believe that one must believe Jesus is God as if the scripture enforces it or do you just chalk it up to faith and opinion? It sounds as if you realize it is not truly "clear" in scripture but perhaps hidden.. right? Some think it is a sign that one is not in communication with God that they don't believe Christ is God.
I believe that God eventually manifests himself to everyone in different ways. I believe even atheism is a valid perspective and represents a state of revelation one has concerning God. Do i believing that my belief that Christ is God is true and that having an understanding of it is due to a proper spiritual discernment? Of course ... If i didn't believe that i wouldn't believe Jesus is god to begin with would I?

Do i believe that those who do not believe Jesus is god are not Christians, even though they have faith in the saving Grace of God provided through Christ? No i do not ...

Like i said i am willing to admit i might be wrong, and if that is the case I hope God doesn't hold it against me and deem me to not be a true Christians when all is said and done because i believed that Christ is God. Therefore how could i judge others as being or not being true Christians because of what they believe outside of their faith in Christ as the savior of the world?

God bless ...

Old 02-28-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
That's something else that I came to disagree with. Dimensions restrict in some way or another. If you are in the fourth or even the thirteenth, something is still beyond that. I now say that he created the dimensions.
I agree with you, God the father exists outside the created world and outside all the dimensions, and that he created them and then manifested himself within them as the spirit of Christ and as the man Jesus Christ himself.

Old 02-28-2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Yes, a handful of easily explained away verses address the very important topic that Jesus is God.
Well that is it then isn't it ... You have to explain away verses that at least seem to communicate that Christ is in fact God. But i see no verses that i have to explain away that seem to say he is not God.

Old 02-28-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
I agree with you, God the father exists outside the created world and outside all the dimensions, and that he created them and then manifested himself within them as the spirit of Christ and as Jesus Christ himself.
I would just say as the spirit of Christ. Why is there a need for God to actually be Christ I have no idea. Perhaps you have a reason?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity