Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you give up heaven to save those in hell?
I volunteer to give up heaven if all are saved from hell. 9 36.00%
Sure. 0 0%
Nope, not me. 6 24.00%
God would never allow this. 10 40.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 05:32 PM

37,342 posts, read 28,405,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Luke 18:11-14 The Pharisee stood up and prayed about himself: 'God, I thank you that I am not like other men--robbers, evildoers, adulterers--or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.' "But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, 'God, have mercy on me, a sinner.' "I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted."

What does tithing have to do with anything. First I don't see it as doing anything other than supporting the church staff just like any other business fee. Second, if I don't attend church but spend my time and money helping others then my tithe is from the heart not the pocketbook.

God desires love not sacrifice. Hosea 6:6 For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings.

1 Chronicles 16:34 O give thanks to the LORD, for He is good; For His lovingkindness is everlasting.

Psalm 100:5 For the LORD is good; His lovingkindness is everlasting And His faithfulness to all generations. (see also Psalm 106, 107, 118)
Jesus also said give not tithe .

He also said freely give , i find it hard to believe that tithing to the church is even scriptual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 05:44 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,232,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Jesus also said give not tithe .

He also said freely give , i find it hard to believe that tithing to the church is even scriptual.
Genesis 14:20- Abraham tithes
Genesis 28:20-22- Jacob tithes
Leviticus 27:30-32 Tithe is introduced into the law of Moses.

Do you want me to continue and show you that it ABSOLUTELY is Biblical?

Old 03-12-2010, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
Genesis 14:20- Abraham tithes
Genesis 28:20-22- Jacob tithes
Leviticus 27:30-32 Tithe is introduced into the law of Moses.

Do you want me to continue and show you that it ABSOLUTELY is Biblical?
All old testament scriptures

Have a gander at this .

L. Ray Smith - Tithing is Unscriptural Under the New Covenant

Old 03-12-2010, 06:04 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,439,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
It just boggles my mind that some people can teach that people would burn in hell... what did Christ die for in their minds?

I would take their place... even just one.

What if the question God asks you at the judgment is: Will you give up your stay in heaven to free everyone in hell?

What would you say? Could you truly and from your heart say you would?

Would you burn all alone happily knowing everyone BUT you is in heaven with God?

I would. Without a thought... in fact I volunteer.
What kind of God makes ANYONE burn in hell? Why is this "God" so damn absolute?

You in meek voice:"Hey God, whatdaya say I do what you want Mon-Fri, but on the weekends I kick back and do what I want?"

God in customary deep manly voice: "You BURRRRN IN HELL TILL ALL ETERNITY...DAMMIT! THAT'LL TEACH YOU, YOU SINNER!"

Absolutely absurd.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:07 PM

Quote:
All old testament scriptures

Have a gander at this .

You check this out.

Free Money Finance: The 21st Century Tithe

Old 03-12-2010, 06:30 PM

Quote:
I have just read it ? and it's the same old stuff what the church system as been churning out for centuries.

Here's a snippet from the link i posted because i'm certain you probably won't read it

1. Abraham never tithed on his own personal property or livestock.
  2. Jacob wouldn’t tithe until God blessed him first.
  3. Only Levite priests could collect tithes, and there are no Levite priests today.
  4. Only food products from the land were tithable.
  5. Money was never a tithable commodity.
  6. Christian converts were never asked to tithe anything to the Church.
  7. Tithing in the Church first appears centuries after completion of the Bible

Old 03-12-2010, 06:42 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,783,179 times
Quote:
I'm just curious to know how many universalists are there? What is your church called? I've been a Christian for many years and I've never heard of the "universalists" before a few days ago. I had no idea that people who claim to be Christians don't believe in hell.
I could not say how many Christians believe in universal reconciliation. I do know it is more than anyone could know, as many who believe in UR are too afraid to admit it for fear of being ostracized from their churches and or from the organized Christian community as an whole. I have read of many who do not admit that they believe in UR for this very reason.

There are at least two Christian Universalist churches that i know of in Dallas Tx. where i live, but i have not yet visited either of them though i have contemplated doing so. I came out of organized religion many many years ago ... My father was a preacher and i discovered early in my life the evils of organized religion. I quit going to church long before i came to accept and believe in Universal Reconciliation though. I was an ET'er for nearly 30 years of my life, until about 4 years ago when the lord lead me to the true good news of his plan and pourpose in the ages to restore all things and reconcile them to himself through Christ. I had never heard of it either other than in passing a few times, but i always thought like many others do, that it was new age or something cultish. I never paid it any attention. Then the lord began convicting my spirit of the evil of the doctrine of eternal torment. So i began to really study the issue, and i came across Andrew Jukes ... That was just the beginning. Ever since i have known that God will have all to be saved and come to a knowledge of the truth.

Here is a link to an online version of the first book i had ever read by Andrew Jukes ...

Restitution of All Things (Index) (http://www.tentmaker.org/restitutionindex.htm - broken link)

Last edited by Ironmaw1776; 03-12-2010 at 07:04 PM..

Old 03-12-2010, 06:44 PM

Quote:
I have just read it ? and it's the same old stuff what the church system as been churning out for centuries.

Here's a snippet from the link i posted because i'm certain you probably won't read it

1. Abraham never tithed on his own personal property or livestock.
  2. Jacob wouldn’t tithe until God blessed him first.
  3. Only Levite priests could collect tithes, and there are no Levite priests today.
  4. Only food products from the land were tithable.
  5. Money was never a tithable commodity.
  6. Christian converts were never asked to tithe anything to the Church.
  7. Tithing in the Church first appears centuries after completion of the Bible
Same old stuff? It's the truth. I don't care if you tithe, but you are robbing the Lord and He does care.

Actually, I did read the beginning of what you sent...the part you posted. I don't have time to read the entire thing. I will continue tithing. Why do you care if I tithe?! Are you trying to convince me not to tithe? I am giving money to glorify God, not because He asks me, but from a gracious heart because God loves a gracious giver.

You believe Satan is blinding us and we believe you are blinded. If Satan was blinding us, why would he want us going to church and learn about God (unlike universalists), why would he trick us into tithing to better His kingdom (unlike universalists), and why would he trick us into evangelizing to get people to know that Jesus is true? Does that make any sense? No, it makes sense that he would want you not to go to church, not to tithe, and not to worry about getting people to Honor God. Think about it.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:51 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,559,655 times
Quote:
Same old stuff? It's the truth. I don't care if you tithe, but you are robbing the Lord and He does care.

Actually, I did read the beginning of what you sent...the part you posted. I don't have time to read the entire thing. I will continue tithing. Why do you care if I tithe?! Are you trying to convince me not to tithe? I am giving money to glorify God, not because He asks me, but from a gracious heart because God loves a gracious giver.

You believe Satan is blinding us and we believe you are blinded. If Satan was blinding us, why would he want us going to church and learn about God (unlike universalists), why would he trick us into tithing to better His kingdom (unlike universalists), and why would he trick us into evangelizing to get people to know that Jesus is true? Does that make any sense? No, it makes sense that he would want you not to go to church, not to tithe, and not to worry about getting people to Honor God. Think about it.
Where is your money ACTUALLY spent when you tithe in your church?

Old 03-12-2010, 08:17 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,356,390 times
What about those who BELONG there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity