Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 09:54 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,695,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
No spinning, just a simple question. Answer?
Yes, I answered, and you responded with nonsense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 11:10 AM

20,443 posts, read 12,809,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Hi Finn,

question for you: if all that is necessary to inherit eternal life is to believe in him, then why did God make such a long book? Why all the fluff? Apparently all of Jesus' teachings are out the door then...

Thanks for your help,
peace,
Brian
To teach us how to live.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:00 PM

118 posts, read 177,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic235 View Post
You have missed the whole point of the original post -- "faith" is not everything in life. There are many things in life that are more important than just "faith" -- the original poster pointed out two examples (which you have ignored).
How did I miss the posters examples? Here they are:

1. rapist/murder gets sent to prison but before he is executed he truly confesses all his sins he is sent to heaven?

2. (hypothetical situation) so some guy comes up with the cure for cancer is charitable all his life never harmed a soul and loved everyone he knew with all of his being, but he is atheist...hes burns in hell?

I answered both these statements by my post. Faith in Christ is what saves us and works is evidence of that faith. The original poster stated that the obvious answers are Yes to #1 and No to #2.

My post states that this is true. Only through faith are we saved(that is a heart issue which God knows.) Scripture was clear that works cannot save, but scripture is clear that along with faith must be works which is evidence of faith.

We must live out what we believe. Faith is an action word. This is not legalistic since I do not believe that works must be numbered, it isn't. When we are judged by the faith in our hearts it is our works that are evidence of that faith. This is still a heart issue since there is not a number of works that proves our faith but simply evidence of it.

My point is that if you proclaim to have faith(which is an action word) then if their is NO evidence of that faith(works) then you do not have faith at all.

It all comes from faith in Christ. The very words of scripture stating we must have works is for those that lie about their faith and never do anything about it(no works.) God judges the heart whether you received Christ at age 5 or the moment before death. It always was and always is a heart issue and that is up to God. Works are merely something that accompanies our proclamation of faith.

Does this change the answers to the posters original question, no! Person 1 had faith, person 2 did not.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:22 PM

702 posts, read 1,007,184 times
The problem with so many people's viewpoint concerning death bed conversions, and believing things like the 6,000 Jews murdered by Hitler being in the same "hell" with him, is not realizing the purpose of God in making humanity and not having faith that God will surely accomplish it. You could call it "Jacob's Ladder." He saw the angels of God ascending and descending on it. Jesus is the light of the world. His word has gone out to all the world. Every one is on some level ascending into the presence of God. Some are descending with something from God to give to others lower down. Some are just descending to depart to a greater distance from the presence of God fo a season. Many of us who were far have been made near. Everyone is being worked on that certain things may be removed from us and that certain things may be added. To make us in His image and likeness, and that we should have dominion is accomplished by His presence. Everyone is in some degree, more or less, in His presence.

"Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence? If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there." (Ps 139:7-8, AV)

God's changing us does not end with death, but continues on into the ages to come. "For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit." (1 Pt 4:6, AV)

Old 05-20-2010, 03:08 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,374,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMRohde View Post
The problem with so many people's viewpoint concerning death bed conversions, and believing things like the 6,000 Jews murdered by Hitler being in the same "hell" with him, is not realizing the purpose of God in making humanity and not having faith that God will surely accomplish it. You could call it "Jacob's Ladder." He saw the angels of God ascending and descending on it. Jesus is the light of the world. His word has gone out to all the world. Every one is on some level ascending into the presence of God. Some are descending with something from God to give to others lower down. Some are just descending to depart to a greater distance from the presence of God fo a season. Many of us who were far have been made near. Everyone is being worked on that certain things may be removed from us and that certain things may be added. To make us in His image and likeness, and that we should have dominion is accomplished by His presence. Everyone is in some degree, more or less, in His presence.

"Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence? If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there." (Ps 139:7-8, AV)

God's changing us does not end with death, but continues on into the ages to come. "For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit." (1 Pt 4:6, AV)

Brian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity